Tessanne Chin: No love from Jamaican radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tessanne Chin: No love from Jamaican radio

SHE may now be all the rage, but when Tessanne Chin released her debut album three years ago, it was ignored by local radio.
    The album, In Between Words, was co-produced

Paul Kastick, co-producer of In Between Words, and singer Tessanne Chin.
    Tessanne Chin performing on the NBC television talent series The Voice.

Paul Kastick, co-producer of In Between Words, and singer Tessanne Chin. 1/2

by drummer Paul Kastick and guitarist Rudy Valentino. It comprised 14 tracks, including the hit singles Hideaway and Messenger.

"Apart from the track Family, which was produced by Glen Browne, and Loving You, which was worked on by Othneil 'Ottey' Lewis, all the production on the initial batch of songs was by Rudy Valentino and myself," Kastick recalled. "We started from around December 2004."

He said the songs You And Me, The Fall, Flying High, The Right One, Who and Are Yah Gonna (Control) were co-written Paul Chang, her guitarist in the Mile High Band, Chin and himself.

In addition to Kastick, Valentino and Chang, Browne, Michael Fletcher, Dale Brown, Robert Browne, Lamont 'Monty' Savory, Winston 'Bowie' McLaughlin, John Williams and Stephen 'Cat' Coore played on In Between Words.

Kastick said with Chin's background as a live vocalist, the producers played to her strength.

"I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I heard her with Mile High. Hence, Rudy and herself knew we had to take things on a cutting-edge production level. Things just couldn't be normal as everything else on the radio. We had to take chances."

The rock-reggae song Hideaway was a big hit in 2006 and introduced Chin's sultry tones to mainstream radio.

Radio was, however, not as receptive to In Between Words. Kastick admits not much was done in terms of marketing and promotions.

"The album was released December 6, 2010. In a critical sense, the launch was great but I didn't think any real marketing plan was put in place, which puts an album coming out in December at a major disadvantage. With that being said, the CD is a kick-ass product."

Chin is a competitor in the live rounds of The Voice. She is coached by Adam Levine, frontman of the American pop rock band Maroon 5. Tonight she will know whether or not she makes the top 12 following the results show.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...#ixzz2k47sTCBt
    Last edited by Karl; November 8, 2013, 11:34 AM.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Jamaica radio continues to be a big fraud where PAYOLA runs ting$. Nuff of the tunes on the so-called phony charts are a figment of the radio djs imagination & are garbage.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
      Kastick admits not much was done in terms of marketing and promotions.

"The album was released December 6, 2010. In a critical sense, the launch was great but I didn't think any real marketing plan was put in place, which puts an album coming out in December at a major disadvantage. With that being said, the CD is a kick-ass product."

Chin is a competitor in the live rounds of The Voice. She is coached by Adam Levine, frontman of the American pop rock band Maroon 5. Tonight she will know whether or not she makes the top 12 following the results show.

An artiste cannot become a "major" star without a proper marketing team and money behind them. Here in the US, a singer has to get up very early in the mornings to hit the radio stations for interviews. That's what separates the serious ones from the one-hit wonders. Sean Paul & Shaggy were everywhere when they were coming out.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

SHE may now be all the rage, but when Tessanne Chin released her debut album three years ago, it was ignored by local radio.
        The album, In Between Words, was co-produced

Paul Kastick, co-producer of In Between Words, and singer Tessanne Chin.
        Tessanne Chin performing on the NBC television talent series The Voice.

Paul Kastick, co-producer of In Between Words, and singer Tessanne Chin. 1/2

by drummer Paul Kastick and guitarist Rudy Valentino. It comprised 14 tracks, including the hit singles Hideaway and Messenger.

"Apart from the track Family, which was produced by Glen Browne, and Loving You, which was worked on by Othneil 'Ottey' Lewis, all the production on the initial batch of songs was by Rudy Valentino and myself," Kastick recalled. "We started from around December 2004."

He said the songs You And Me, The Fall, Flying High, The Right One, Who and Are Yah Gonna (Control) were co-written Paul Chang, her guitarist in the Mile High Band, Chin and himself.

In addition to Kastick, Valentino and Chang, Browne, Michael Fletcher, Dale Brown, Robert Browne, Lamont 'Monty' Savory, Winston 'Bowie' McLaughlin, John Williams and Stephen 'Cat' Coore played on In Between Words.

Kastick said with Chin's background as a live vocalist, the producers played to her strength.

"I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I heard her with Mile High. Hence, Rudy and herself knew we had to take things on a cutting-edge production level. Things just couldn't be normal as everything else on the radio. We had to take chances."

The rock-reggae song Hideaway was a big hit in 2006 and introduced Chin's sultry tones to mainstream radio.

Radio was, however, not as receptive to In Between Words. Kastick admits not much was done in terms of marketing and promotions.

Heard an interview with her husband yesterday about this article. He said the album was mostly promoted overseas due to the rock feel on the album.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Jangle it nuh so easy in Jamaica and especially on the east coast. Payola is big, nuff radio DJ in Jamaica a look big money before they play your thing. Same thing with many of the radio people on the east coast.

I understand that it takes money to run their station but is not like they I bet you if you want your song play on the mainstream radios in Jamaica you have to know some DJs or coming out of your pocket deep directly to theirs.

I was at a radio station in NY and did an interview for a little project. I will say big up to some forumites here who do their thing on the radio and are honest and hardworking but even some a the nicest sounding radio diskjock in NY a big hypocrites when it comes to this. Many of them use to the drugs man dem in the 90s and early 2000.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Give Me a Break!

The album, In Between Words, was co-produced[/URL]

So, is that much different from attitudes expressed on this forum?

I have deliberately refrained from making any posts on Tessanne for the simple reason that, until her success on The Voice, people of her complexion (sarcastically referred to symbolically as “uptown”) were derided constantly on THIS forum and referenced obliquely as “oppressors”!

Now we wax eloquently since her successful campaign began!

Give me a break!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post

I have deliberately refrained from making any posts on Tessanne for the simple reason that, until her success on The Voice, people of her complexion (sarcastically referred to symbolically as “uptown”) were derided constantly on THIS forum and referenced obliquely as “oppressors”!

Give me a break!

Agreed.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post

Give me a break!

Please cite the occasions, and the context, when people of her complexion were "derided constantly on THIS forum and referenced obliquely as “oppressors”!"

If you can't, an apology would be appreciated.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I don't know about oppressor but otherwise what he says stands. There was have been many talk on this forum and even about Shaggy, Marley and others and their complexion.

There is nothing knew there.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What about their complexion?

Have brown people oppressed others in Jamaica over the years? Does that mean all brown people are oppressors? Memba, mi brown tuh!

Historian and others, like you, I guess, who want to talk nonsense need to come with the FACTS!

Many have misunderstood my lectures on Out of Many, One People! That is your problem if you are one of them.

What I hate is this better than thou attitude by some on this Forum.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      I don't know about oppressor but otherwise what he says stands.
                      "Otherwise" what he says stands?!?! That makes no sense! The post was about some of us cussing the oppressors and then railing up about Tessanne Chin! There is no otherwise!

If there is, please point out what you mean to say. What part of his post "stands"?

Thanks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

" THIS forum and referenced obliquely as “oppressors”!"

Everything else except this, Mi know it might bun you but it won't be too long before the forum return to the same kind of divide.

Comment

There has been a lot of generalization on this forum sometimes, I know it maybe funny at times but that don't mean it don't happen here.

Comment

Bun me?!?!? Can't bun me if people hignorant!

All I am asking you, Sass, is which part of Historian's post do you agree with. You say yuh not in agreement with the "oppressor" part. So which part you agree with? What is that "everything else" exactly?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              What about Memba, mi brown tuh!
                              Welcome home my beige brother

Comment

Working...
                              X