• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger's back in the music jungle

Tiger's back in the music jungle
    Balford Henry
    Monday, May 07, 2007

Thirteen years after a serious road mishap nearly claimed his life and his talent, deejay Norman 'Tiger' Jackson thinks he is ready to make a genuine comeback.
    "Thank God I do remember all I need to remember. I still remember all my great songs, and I have some new compositions, as well," he said, as the Observer sat down to talk with him and his pal, fellow deejay/producer Wayne Lonesome, about his comeback trail.
    Asked whether the controversial litigation issue triggered by his accident has been resolved, Tiger would only muster, "I prefer to settle things and move on. I thank God that I am still alive".
    His sentences were liberally laced with references to God, suggesting a new found faith since his near death experience. "I have a stronger faith in God, now," he confirmed. Tiger's expects that soon his new song, Now, will be on the lips of every dancehall fan, including those who have remained loyal to his memory. The song is based on his previous big hit, When.
    "I say, Tiger come again. now," he explained the chorus of the new song.
    Tiger's numerous hits include No Wanga Gut, Yuh Dead Now, Puppy Love, Me Name Tiger, Bam Bam, Beep Beep, and Come Back To Me with Anthony Malvo. Following the release of his first album Me Name Tiger, he went on to record with the American rap group, the Fat Boys and ink a deal with Columbia Records, and was then at the height of his career. Back in 1994, Tiger was not only a superstar dancehall deejay, but quite a rich one too. He boasted a Mercedes S190 Benz and an Astra Chevy, in addition to his Ducati and Honda 50 motorcycles.
    He was riding the Ducati 1100 superbike along Hope Road on the fateful day when suddenly, crash, and then everything went silent.
    "I didn't know anything after that. It was like I was dead," he explained.
    The accident left him with a slur, which still affects his speech, slightly.
    Over the years he sold his cars and bike to meet his medical and personal expenses. "I had to sell them to pay the bills and to avoid embarrassment," he admitted. He has held on to the Honda 50, however.
    The most important thing on his mind now is winning back his many fans and some new ones, too.
    "Compulsory, I have to go out there and disprove the doubts about me," he confided.
    He says that what has kept him strong all these years is his confidence that there is a loyal army of fans still awaiting his return, after his sudden departure from the dancehall landscape in January, 1994. Now, he is about to find out how loyal they really are.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X