• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut oil powers island's cars

Coconut oil powers island's cars

By Phil Mercer
    BBC News, Sydney

People on the island of Bougainville in Papua New Guinea have found their own solution to high energy prices - the humble coconut.
    They are developing mini-refineries that produce a coconut oil that can replace diesel.
    From police officers to priests, the locals are powering up their vehicles and generators with coco-fuel.
    Inquiries for the coconut power have come in from overseas, including Iran and Europe.
    For years, the people of Bougainville have been dependent on expensive fuel imported onto the island.
    Shortages have often caused many businesses in this part of Papua New Guinea to grind to a halt. High energy costs have not helped either.
    Doesn't it sound good if you really run your car on something which falls off a tree and that's the good thing about it

Matthias Horn
    Refinery operator

Increasingly, locals are turning to a cheaper and far more sustainable alternative to diesel. Coconut oil is being produced at a growing number of backyard refineries.
    Matthias Horn, a German migrant and an engineer, operates one such refinery.
    "They sometimes refer to me as the Mad German because how can you do that to your car... filling it with some coconut juice that you normally fry your fish in," he said.
    "The coconut tree is a beautiful tree. Doesn't it sound good if you really run your car on something which falls off a tree and that's the good thing about it. You run your car and it smells nice and it's environmentally friendly and that's the main thing."
    Mr Horn said his work had attracted interest from Iran.
    Refineries like his also produce oils for cooking and cosmetics as well as soap.
    Coconut power is not new in Bougainville. The island endured years of civil unrest in which thousands of people were killed in a fight for independence in the 1990s. Dwindling supplies of diesel forced islanders to look for alternatives and the coconut was chosen. In peacetime, new technology is propelling this sweet-smelling industry to greater heights.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Re: Coconut oil powers island's cars

I wonder what Jamaicans are doing to lessen the country's reliance on imported fuel. Brazil has invested in converting sugar cane juice to ethanol, and even a tiny island in the Pacific has found an alerntative to diesel.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

good post.

bwoy a tell you we need to do some real research.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

True, and tradespersons from HEART are not researchers!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Believe it or not them would do a better job than some a the PHDs who a run Jamaica.

It is interesting that I was reading Jeannette Dyer who was a student at Runaway Bay while I was there is now in charge of training after getting scholarship, and was leading Chef at Superclubs and returned. I also read of a husband and wife who went and have a big catering business somehere in St.Anns I think Browns Town. There are many graduates over the years who have gone on to be very educated including engineers including myself so be careful and remember that Evon Hewitt of Irie, Annette Tingle of Tourism Product Training, and Errol Lingo formerly of Irie FM were all Instructors while I was there.

Be careful what you a say. Remember some a the woman dem who use to work at freezone end up putting themselves through college and some build big house so gwaaan underate.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

But none of those people are RESEARCHERS, assasin! Having your own barbershop is not the same thing as inventing a laser trimmer!

Yuh not understanding me, sass! No one is belittling or underating anybody! But great societies are not founded on the backs of cobblers!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

with oppurtunity anything can happen. All I saying is 10 years after there must be some.

Comment

Bio-Diesel.

Can be made relaticvely inexpensively from used cooking oil from a restaurant or fry-up shop. I have the contact to a Hungarian engineer whose firm has perfected and is marketing an industrial scale setup. The key to that process is that it uses the oil and some additive and produces just calcium salts and 110% bio-diesel compared to the oil input. Very clean process that is cost-effective.

I can pass on the contact details if anyone wants it.

Comment

You said Hungarian engineer, right?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Maybe you can give it to the Scientific Research council or the new science office that is created in the 90s. I use to have good contacts at the SRC but that was a long time ago.

Comment

Yes,

But engineers are not researchers per se. This guy was not even a PhD.

Engineers are more applied, they are more the D than the R in the term R&D. Process improvement and process design are more their speed.

A country needs all the elements, no doubt, but needs far more craftsmen than designers or researchers.

Comment

Working...
                      X