X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong move

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Dear Editor,
    This business of bringing pressure to bear on citizens choosing to fly flags of whatever design or colour is a blatant invasion of our constitutional rights. Neither the PNP, the JLP nor the Ombudsman has any legal authority for this attempt to suppress freedom of expression, and it appears that the conspiracy will continue until someone takes the matter to court.

They say that they are acting in the name of peace. However, rather than contribute to peace and tolerance in our society, the order to remove flags from private premises indicates surrender to hooliganism and an admission by the state that it cannot adequately protect and defend citizens choosing to identify publicly with a lawful activity.
    The justice system is being undermined when people elected and paid to uphold the laws spend time and money condemning people who insist on the right to fly flags. It may even be regarded as incitement to violence against those refusing to follow the instructions of political parties.
    Ken Jones
    alllerdyce@hotmail.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Re: Wrong move

Mr. Jones, I see it the same way as you. But then again, this is Jamaica. As I've said time and time again, we not mature enough to know who contributes to either political party .. well its the same way (in some areas) people not ready for this.

Look how an areas leader coming from a political meeting stab a man to death, eye witnesses identified him as the killer during the trial, yet he was found nor guilty? PJ was right when he reffered to them as "Hostile Tribes."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Re: Wrong move

I don't believe anyone is forcing anyone to do anything, but given our political climate, ain't nothing wrong in what the parties and the ombusdsman are trying to do.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
      X