X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free education helped me

Monday, May 14, 2007

Dear Editor,
    I am a proud beneficiary of free education under the Michael Manley government of the '70s. I received a first degree from the University of the West Indies. I came from very rural Jamaica and was given boarding accommodation on campus. I bought my books from a book grant that I received from the government. I enjoyed my sojourn at the university as well as my introduction to urban living.

On graduation, I thought it fit to give something back to the country and so I decided to teach in rural Jamaica. I saw the future in the students I met and thought that if given the opportunity that I had got, they would do well. Not long after that the Seaga government declared the end of free education and introduced cost-sharing. It grieved my heart because I knew it would serve only to distance more and more of our children from tertiary education.

Had that government given thought to the actions of the previous government, free education would by now be fully institutionalised in Jamaica and ways and means found to support it as we progress. Instead, they took a backward step, and now at a time when they are seeking the attention of the electorate they have suddenly realised that this would be a programme from which the masses could benefit. It is full time that the Jamaica Labour Party stop taking the masses for granted. Knowledge is not as scarce as it used to be, a foundation has been laid and the people continue to build on it.

What is paid by parents for their children's education is only a fraction of the real cost. Parents who can pay need to be encouraged to do so, while at the same time we need to maintain a programme that will allow those who are not able to pay, to access education at all levels. Additionally, people need to be encouraged to set priorities and to focus on areas of expenditure that are critical to their children's development. Education should certainly be at the top or very near the top of such a list.

It is because of the benefit of free education that many of us can today warn you that the promise of free education in 2007 is unrealistic. Things and times have changed. Let us face the reality and begin to plan for the education of our children and grandchildren.

Julian J Robinson
    julianjayrobinson@gmail.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

'Free education', Good in the '70s; Unrealistic now

'Free education', Good in the '70s; Unrealistic now
    published: Monday | May 14, 2007

The Editor, Sir:

Iw as a proud beneficiary of 'free education' under the Michael Manley government of the '70s. I received a first degree from the University of the West Indies. I came from very rural Jamaica and was given boarding accommodation on campus. I bought my books from a book grant that I received from the Government. I enjoyed my sojourn at the university as well as my introduction to urban living.

On graduation, I thought it fit to give something back to the country and so I decided to teach in rural Jamaica. I saw the future in the students I met and thought that if given the opportunity that I got, they would do well. It was not long after that the Seaga government declared the end of 'free education' and introduced Cost sharing. It grieved my heart because I knew it would only serve to distance more and more of our children from tertiary education.

Had that government given thought to the actions of the previous government, 'free education' would by now be fully institutionalised in Jamaica and ways and means found to support it as we progress. Instead they took a backward step and now at a time when they are seeking the attention of the electorate, they have suddenly realised that this would be a programme from which the masses could benefit. It is full time that the Jamaica Labour Party stop taking the masses for granted. Knowledge is not as scarce as it used to be, a foundation has been laid and the people continue to build on it.

Plan wisely

What is paid by parents for their children's education is only a fraction of the real cost. Parents who can pay need to be encouraged to do so, while at the same time we need to maintain a programme that will allow those who are not able to pay to access education at all levels. Additionally, persons need to be encouraged in setting priorities and in paying attention to areas of expenditure that are critical to their children's development. Education should certainly be at the top or very near the top of such a list.

It is because of the benefit of 'free education' that many of us can today warn you that the promise of free education in 2007 is unrealistic. Things and time have changed. Let us face the reality and begin to plan for the education of our children and grandchildren.

Iam, etc.,

JOSIE CAMPBELL

josephinecampbell@gmail.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Re: Free education helped me

hehehehe. Great minds think alike or is it something else? Karl, Jawge ... can unuh explain this? Only unuh and unuh pack of comrades I know sound the same on all issues.

Comment

Can someone please clarify something for me. Who implemented cost sharing? Mi know say inna Jamaica, man wife gi him bun, han, horn whatever unuh call it, the only solution is blame Seaga.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          Can someone please clarify something for me. Who implemented cost sharing? Mi know say inna Jamaica, man wife gi him bun, han, horn whatever unuh call it, the only solution is blame Seaga.
          Yuh tink a ongle innah Jamaica man wife gi im bun!

....deh merri! ....deh near!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
          X