Clear All

• Staurt Hall didnt want to come back because of class & color

Stuart Hall Roots An Legacy
    Published: Sunday | February 16, 2014 1 Comment
    Carolyn Cooper
    Carolyn Cooper
    Carolyn Cooper

Chaka-Chaka Spelling

Stuart Hall, one a fi wi big-time professor, dead a England last week Monday. Im born an grow a Kingston an im did go a Jamaica College. Im win Rhodes Scholarship an lef Jamaica inna 1951 fi go a Oxford University. Im study English literature an im graduate wid im MA. Im did start fi do im PhD pon American literature, but im change im mind an decide fi lef Oxford. One a mi friend, Christian Campbell, call it Oxfraud. An a no bad-mind an grudgeful. Im a Rhodes Scholar to.

So wa mek Stuart Hall never come back a yard? Im did visit. But im live out im life a Inglan. Inna 1997, im do one interview wid Caryl Phillips, one next Oxford man weh born a St Kitts an go a England when im a four month 'old'. Phillips aks Hall di said same question: "The time you were leaving Oxford - 1957 - was exactly the same time that there was a potential for great change in the Caribbean. It was the beginning of the short-lived federation among the islands. Why did you choose not to go back?" Hall gi two answer: "There was no need to hurry back, because by then federation was a dead idea." Dead fi true. An CARICOM no hearty to dat.

DI '****** BABY'

See di next answer ya: "But there's a second reason which is more personal. You see, I came from this peculiar coloured middle class in Jamaica which was oriented toward Britain ... . I didn't want to go back to that. To have a job as a lawyer with my family close at hand, watching over me, I couldn't bear it. I'd always meant to go home, but I'd always had reservations about becoming a member of that class."

Di problem a no so-so class. Plenty colour did mix up inna it. Hall do one next interview inna 2007 wid one journalist, Tim Adams. Hear wa im seh: "I was always the blackest member of my family and I knew it from the moment I was born. My sister said: 'Where did you get this ****** baby from?' Not black baby, you will note, but low-class Indian." Seet deh now! Good ting Stuart Hall never bodder come back ya so. Im might as well tan a England.

Hall study culture an politics an im come fi understand how race an class prejudice downpress people. An im write nuff book bout it. Ascorden to wa Adams seh Hall tell im, "Cultural studies was born for him when he was first told he could not bring black school friends home, even though, to white eyes, he was black himself." Wat a sinting! A fi wi bad-breed culture mek Profesor Stuart Hall turn down a 'multicultural studies' inna England.

Prapa-Prapa Spelin

Stuart Hall, wan a fi wi big-taim profesa dem, ded a Inglan laas wiik Monde. Im baan an gruo a Kingston an im did go a Jamaica College. Im win Rhodes Skalaship an lef Jamieka ina 1951 fi go a Oxford Yuunivorsiti. Im stodi Inglish lichricha an im gradiyiet wid im MA. Im did staat fi du im PhD pan Amerikan lichricha, bot im chienj im main an disaid fi lef Oxford. Wan a mi fren, Christian Campbell, kaal it Oxfraud. An a no bad-main an grojful. Im a Rhodes skala tu.

So wa mek Stuart Hall neva kom bak a yaad? Im did visit, yes. Bot im liv out im laif a Inglan. Ina 1997, im did du wan intavyuu wid Caryl Phillips, wan neks Oxford man we baan a St Kitts an go a Inglan wen im a fuor-monts 'uol'. Phillips aks Hall di sed siem kweschan: "The time you were leaving Oxford - 1957 - was exactly the same time that there was a potential for great change in the Caribbean. It was the beginning of the short-lived federation among the islands. Why did you choose not to go back?" Hall gi tuu ansa: "There was no need to hurry back, because by then federation was a dead idea." Ded fi chruu. An CARICOM no aati tu dat.

DI '****** BABY'

Si di neks ansa ya: "But there's a second reason which is more personal. You see, I came from this peculiar coloured middle-class in Jamaica which was oriented toward Britain ... . I didn't want to go back to that. To have a job as a lawyer with my family close at hand, watching over me, I couldn't bear it. I'd always meant to go home, but I'd always had reservations about becoming a member of that class."

Di prablem a no suo-so klaas. Plenti kola did miks op ina it. Hall du wan neks intavyuu ina 2007 wid wan jornalis niem Tim Adams. Ier wa Hall se: "I was always the blackest member of my family and I knew it from the moment I was born. My sister said: 'Where did you get this ****** baby from?' Not black baby, you will note, but low-class Indian." Siit de nou! Gud ting Stuart Hall neva bada kom bak ya so. Im mait az wel tan a Inglan.

Hall stodi kolcha an palitiks an im kom fi andastan ou ries an klaas prejudis dounpres piipl. An im rait nof buk bout kolcha an palitiks. Azkaadn tu wa Adams se Hall tel im, "Cultural studies was born for him when he was first told he could not bring black school friends home, even though, to white eyes, he was black himself." Wat a sinting! A fi wi bad-briid kolcha mek Profesa Stuart Hall ton don a 'multicultural studies' ina Inglan.

Carolyn Cooper is a professor of literary and cultural studies at the University of the West Indies, Mona. Visit her bilingual blog at http://carolynjoycooper.wordpress.com. Email feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com and karokupa@gmail.com.
    Last edited by Sir X; February 16, 2014, 08:49 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

On a lighter note her patwa is atrocious...lol....The professor failed patwa in Jamaica...lol...i though i was listening to my father.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Always grateful to Carolyn for talking about those things we don't like to talk about.

I like so many of your contributions, X. If only you'd stick to that and not comment!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Someone has to show up your lack of reasoning.Sometimes I am sorry I am the one ,sometimes I am not.

Work on that police abuse data from indecom and I will show you a ganja-criminalisation-poverty -garrisonilation correlation,Hall would be proud of.

You might show me a corna man strategy.

Comment

he preferred to stay in the multi-cultural...race neutral England?

Comment

Ok, it will be on your desk Monday morning!

(What tha 'ell did X just say?!?)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yep! It was that bad! Still is!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

rubbish...he simply wasn't strong enough to have his own personality...parents looking over his shoulder controlling his life? is he twelve or something?

Comment

Strong enough to be a colossus in racist england .

Comment

Talking Sh!t....

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Always grateful to Carolyn for talking about those things we don't like to talk about.

I like so many of your contributions, X. If only you'd stick to that and not comment!
                    So why don’t you and Carolyn have an ethnic cleansing in Jamaica? Yes, wipe out all non-blacks and the upper middle class once and for all….isn’t that what you’ve been leaning towards all these years?

With the colored middle class eliminated, I guess we will start to grow in prosperity. It’s true, and we have the massive economic success of Robert Mugabe’s Zimbabwe as a role model.

We just love to talk sh!t sometimes, don’t we?

Comment

Damn, Historian? ...a yuh dat?
                      ...and I wonder what was racing through your mind as you said what you did???

Just wondering...
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Hey, you should recognize it! No one spews more than you. And when it is pointed out to you, you bitch and talk more of it!

Oh, and if you want to not show your face around here anymore, be my guest!

You are truly a challenged fool. You think just because you talk perfect English you are better than anyone else. It is your kind that makes people like Hall move out from Jamaica.

You are a jackass to see ethnic cleansing in any of this. You are so way off and so challenged it is not even funny any more

Carolyn does not always make sense to me all the time either, but neither do you. Next time, reconsider before you come on here talking absolute crap, bout ethnic cleansing. The only thing that needs ethnic cleansing is your warped brain!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

His frikkin guitar string broke and he just felt like taking it out on me and Carolyn. Well, wrong people to test, Historian. Yuh huh smarter dan mi none tall! Yuh can't even speak patwa.

Gwey!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                            he preferred to stay in the multi-cultural...race neutral England?
                            I know. I had to laugh when I read it. He stayed in England?. The land of all things racist, including the BBC. Yes I did say the BBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              Hey, you should recognize it! No one spews more than you. And when it is pointed out to you, you bitch and talk more of it!

Oh, and if you want to not show your face around here anymore, be my guest!

You are truly a challenged fool. You think just because you talk perfect English you are better than anyone else. It is your kind that makes people like Hall move out from Jamaica.

You are a jackass to see ethnic cleansing in any of this. You are so way off and so challenged it is not even funny any more

Carolyn does not always make sense to me all the time either, but neither do you. Next time, reconsider before you come on here talking absolute crap, bout ethnic cleansing. The only thing that needs ethnic cleansing is your warped brain!

Two wrongs?
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X