"Racist" textbook draws ire of parents, educators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Racist" textbook draws ire of parents, educators

A troubling section of the book, which has some up in arms, reads: "Nita has brown eyes and neatly trimmed eyelashes. Her hair is long and black and is always neatly combed. A round face with slender nose and brown complexion make her pretty and likeable".

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead3.html

BLACK LIVES MATTER

And then wi cuss Worl' Boss!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

where is the racism?

Comment

The real question is.. is likeable an adjective or a noun ?

lol ! woiee ! That was irony at its best during the Nationwide discussion of this..

Comment

Read the comments

liz • 2 hours ago I do not think that single section should deem the book racist.If the child note that as a concern it becomes a teachable moment for the child about beauty and self concept. The child mentioned in the passage is beautiful. The other girls with darker skin are also beautiful. What would have made it racist is if there was a comparison to some one else where the other person looked different but not seen as beautiful.see more

<LI class=voting data-role="voting">Ceo3 hours ago
          <LI id=post-1293010589 class=post jQuery19209206970873959541="148">This would be serious if so many people in Jamaica did not process their hair, wear weaves or did cosmetic surgery..
          As it is its a non-issue!!!
          Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder and if the beholder is also a writer he is allowed creative license and if he is human he is allowed his prejudices and his biases.. See more
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

and i bet the book was not written in jamaica...

Comment

I don't see what's the problem. "Out of many one people". Gwan JA.

Comment

The problem is the pass rate in English...

Comment

Working...
                X