Reggae all a fame (Way to go sirs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hear yuh....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Kingston or ochi.

Comment

It should be Kingston given that it's the cradle of reggae, but knowing how lazy our politicians are, they would put it in Ochi.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

You see that with the Coke museum too? They are not working with a whole lot at all. I wasn't really impressed, I was looking for more but it doesn't stop them from using all angles.

A reggae Museum would be much more interesting as it would be colourful, and with people from different background and how they made it.

Dennis Brown, John Holt, Gregory, Sly and Robby, Black Uhurru, Coxone, and a lot of producers including Tubbys, and a lot more.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I also think he should be there. Not only Til Shiloh, some of his other work has gotten some good attention too. As controversial as Boom Bye Bye is, it has gotten a lot of exposure before it came falling down.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It should be Kingston been the cultural capital but they would have to make deal with the vistiors and provide a safe and welcoming surrounding.

St.Ann would not be bad been the home of Marley, Burning Spear and a lot of good artists from surround parish. Oftentimes a lot of tourist go to Mamma Marley restaurant in Ochi just because of the name and nothing else, only to find nothing in the daytime.

Comment

Paul Blake & The Bloodfire Posse for changing the sound of reggae
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Don't know if they did enough. Their catalog is kinda slim and mostly local.

Comment

A reggae museum certainly SHOULD be a lot more interesting if it is done well. That is a big IF for us.

As for the inductees, I would be very selective.If half of the known reggae artistes are inducted then its not much of a Hall of Fame.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

effecting a complete change in the sound is doing enough to warrant at least some honorable mention.

Comment

I disagree. Buju could not make it in my book.

A few years ago, this was the same debate i had with my two friends on if he could make it to the Reggae Hall of Fame....

Shiloh was a good album.

But body of work, influence etc. etc . is not up to a hall-o-famer kettygory IMO.

OH btw, Gamma you left out Jimmy Cliff.
                        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                          A reggae museum certainly SHOULD be a lot more interesting if it is done well. That is a big IF for us.

As for the inductees, I would be very selective.If half of the known reggae artistes are inducted then its not much of a Hall of Fame.
                          Excellent point!!!!

Notice the long list of artist given by some posters? Hall-o- Fame ram areddy from those list.

The selection criterion MUST be tightened:
                          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

how could I? I think he could make both as an artist and as a songwriter.

I was watching Netflix' Daredevil, and in one of the most powerful scenes ... a funeral, they were playing "many rivers to cross' ... not to mention "take a look", "Vietnam (which I think was recorded by bruce springsteen as well, wonderful world beautiful people, the harder they come, treat the yuoths right, hakuna matata...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Jimmy would have to be one of the first inductee. Remember his work also in "the harder they come" and not to mention over 5 decade as a top performer.

Comment

If you are choosing 10 artists from the 90s Buju most likely would be on the list in my opinion. If we are just choosing artist from the 60 and 70 then....

Comment

Working...
                                X