Taye Diggs prefers to call biracial son ‘mixed,’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taye Diggs prefers to call biracial son ‘mixed,’

Actor Taye Diggs recently said he prefers to label his biracial son “mixed” instead of a black, igniting a long-standing and contentious debate about how some people of color should identify themselves.
    Diggs has a 6-year-old son with his ex-wife, actress Idina Menzel, who is white. He recently wrote a children’s book inspired by his son called “Mixed Me!.” He explained in Nov. 13 interview with theGrio why he prefers the term mixed to black, which is often how the offspring of black and white interracial relationships choose to be identified.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/taye-digg...er-obama-black
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I don't have a problem with that. Tiger Woods was berated for wanting to be identified as Cablasian, or whatever the hell it was. That's his prerogative. Tiger had no problem identifying as black, however, even if he didn't call himself that. That's key!

Society, sadly, will see Digg's son as black, however, and that's something he better learn to deal with fast! If mixed Obama has to deal with so much, Digg's son is in for the time of his life.

At least, I doubt if his son has an African name and is Muslim!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It's also much more likely for people who are famous and/or reasonably well-off to be taken seriously when they want to be identified as mixed.

Identifying as mixed can mean different things to different people. For some people it means I am BOTH A and B while for others it means I am neither A nor B, I am something different. I think the latter is more problematic.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
      X