SAM WANG:Nate Silver failed the data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAM WANG:Nate Silver failed the data

I think journalists have missed the point about Nate Silver’s error. Since Silver personifies data analysis, it is easy to get mixed up about what failed. As I wrote last week, the data didn’t fail – clear signs pointed toward Trump for a long time. However, Silver went beyond the data – in his words, he “acted like a pundit.” Here are his comments. The essay is long, but the title is on point. Basically I agree with points #1 (he didn’t make a real statistical model) and #4 (“fundamentals”-based models might not add that much value).

A reader asks what I think of the claim in point #3 that he was “too frequentist” and that his “Bayesian prior” of a Trump nomination should have been 10-12%. Hmmm. My first thought is that estimation of priors requires a lot of judgment. I don’t fault him for that…but he should own his estimates. To my taste, he leans too hard on political science, which relies on nice, stable trends. In a disruptive race like the 2016 GOP nomination contest, this leads to problems.

http://election.princeton.edu/
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

This unconventional election cycle is going to really test data nerds like Wang and Silver. I am going to watch their analysis keenly over the next few weeks as more recent polls are showing movement towards Trump.

What we are seeing is truly insane. He must be the most unqualified person to ever receieve the nomination of a major party.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Lol ...watch Wang,Nate nuh ready.Wang explained the movement,media hype...hehe or people like Nate failing the data.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
      X