Holness continues defence of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holness continues defence of

Holness continues defence of auxiliary fees removal.

The government has indicated that it will increase the subvention provided to schools for each student from $11,500 to $19,000, to facilitate the removal of auxiliary fees.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...y-fees-removal

So if the government is increasing the amount to the schools why the resistance? The principal of JC is adamant that this will work, especially since they will be providing the money earlier than before. So what is the fuss about?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Because the amount of the increase does not offset the amount many schools were charging in auxillary fees.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I don't get it. In addition to the auxiliary fees some schools charge a 'donation' which they wi still charge I am sure.

I actually so not see where the school is losing based on what has been explained. Schools subvention will be what the auxiliary fees were .... I have a child in high school and the invoice is broken up into school fee and a donation to the xxxxx foundation .... Is it that because this has to be invoiced separately schools think the parents won't pay?

Having a hard time trying to understand the resistance.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        Because the amount of the increase does not offset the amount many schools were charging in auxillary fees.
        You sure bout that? Based on the interviews I've heard none of the schools were collecting 100% of their fees. It is my understanding the amount being offered would give them more money.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          I don't get it. In addition to the auxiliary fees some schools charge a 'donation' which they wi still charge I am sure.

I actually so not see where the school is losing based on what has been explained. Schools subvention will be what the auxiliary fees were .... I have a child in high school and the invoice is broken up into school fee and a donation to the xxxxx foundation .... Is it that because this has to be invoiced separately schools think the parents won't pay?

Having a hard time trying to understand the resistance.
          How many schools have active foundations supporting them? I know of a handful.

Your case is far from typical
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

It would be expected that they would not be collecting 100% of their fees.

However the concern of many schools is that they will end up with less funds with this new approach.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Why less funds though? Their fees are their fees, where did the extra money come from and how did they come by it?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Why less funds though? Their fees are their fees, where did the extra money come from and how did they come by it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  Talk about a delayed echo.

Comment

The govt is increasing their contribution by $7500 per student per annum. Some principals are saying that they were collecting more than that in existing auxiliary fees, which were considered for the most part compulsary.

Yes the school couldn't kick out a student for non payment but they could do things like hold their results, etc.

According to Keven Jones, principal of Mona High in St Andrew, the increased amount will not be sufficient to operate his school and a number of problems could develop with the removal of the auxiliary fees.

"Currently, the Government gives us $11,500 per student. That is woefully inadequate. That can't run any form of school. My auxiliary fee is $10,000; $11,500 plus the $10,000 would give me $21,500 per student, which is inadequate.

"The Government is proposing now to do away with the auxiliary fees. I give up my $10,000, and they're increasing their $11,500 to $19,000. It's $2,500 short of what I would be getting now. If $21,500 is woefully inadequate, then when you decrease it to $19,000, that's disaster," said Jones.
                    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...auxiliary-fees

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                      The govt is increasing their contribution by $7500 per student per annum. Some principals are saying that they were collecting more than that in existing auxiliary fees, which were considered for the most part compulsary.

Yes the school couldn't kick out a student for non payment but they could do things like hold their results, etc.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...auxiliary-fees
                      Were they collecting 100% of those fees? In the same article, "Patricia Bailey, principal of Yallahs High in St Thomas, supported Jones' views. She said her school charges approximately $3,000 in auxiliary fees, which, according to her, are paid by less than 50 per cent of the parents annually."

How much would her school be getting under the new policy? As the Minister indicated, the schools were not collecting 100% of their fees, and increasing the the funds and changing the time it would be paid would address the problem. I guess the first reaction is to say no ....

Comment

If he was collecting 95% is his argument any less valid?

Anyway, what is likely to happen is the principals will find some other way to charge, and call it something other than auxiliary fees.

Comment

The thing is Only Most of the traditional high school it may affect a little, they can't get to pump these fees in sports and other things they choose. Most inner city and rural school are charging under 10,000 for student as is getting less that 40% compliance. So what is the problem there?
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

How much fees does a school have to collect? I bet if you look at it many of these school are better off. She is charging 21,500 from how many students?

If she can get half of that money as donation then she will be much better off when she add up 19000 and the donation. Who decides these fees for student to pay, could it be a business for some of these schools?
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The big difference is they can't stop kids from attending school because their parents can't pay.

Comment

Working...
                              X