No announcement yet.

Ska/Rocksteady Fest set for November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well they do generally cater to a more affluent demographic than say a Sting. Nothing wrong with that really, there are more than enough shows that cater to the masses.

I don't think I would call it upper class, there are not enough of those people in the Caribbean to support a festival. More like middle class who are into old school music or at least are not looking for young hot artistes, more interested in performers who have a catalog of music. So you would more see a Freddie Mcgregor than a Romain Virgo (who I like) , or a 80s R&B artiste than a Drake
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

True! If they stuck a Ska band in there from Alpha boys school and solicit donations to help the school and promote the significance of its musical cultural impact,i wouldn't have a problem with it.

To me it's a waste,yuh have enuff old hits concert all over di island .Why waste precious tourist promotional dollars,and yuh not promoting yuh culture.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Times a changing. I read there will be cruise tourism in Kingston VERY soon.

They will fix up downtown near the habour, then trips to places like Bob Marley Museum, Trench town and Blue Mountain will work. Yes music Tourism we say. It is all depend on how Kingstonians see it.

Also add an updated Cornation Market with fruits, Jamaican products and craft market somewhere close by.
        Last edited by Assasin; August 10, 2016, 04:59 PM.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

As mi tell you, somebody have to put up the money and take the chance and then tourist board etc. will assist. They will not be organizing any major festival.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The question is why Johnny , we know they will not support any cultural music that can bring in tourist ,H.L mentioned Jazz and Mobay with a big question sign beside Kgn ,why Johnny ?

My reasons as stated are MOBAY HAS nothing on Kington in terms of cultural history- pirates ,buildings ,athletes,music etc , in fact the carribbean.I mentioned colonial schizophrenia or personality disorders i.e

THE ROAST BREADFRUIT SYNDROME

Their investigation of the nature of psychotic symptoms of African Caribbeans challenged the historical relationship between Britain and the Caribbean as it applies to definitions of normality and acceptance. They described patients who initially displayed behaviour of being 'functionally White' as having a 'roast breadfruit syndrome', that is, black on the outside and white on the inside; named after the cooked version of the breadfruit (Artocarpus altilis) which has a green skin that becomes charcoal-black when roasted while the inner flesh remains white in colour. They described the characteristic features:

". . . include an overwhelming desire for acceptance by European society, being ashamed of one's indigenous culture with exaggerated rejection in language and manners, and attempts to alter skin colour to appear more white. This can be exacerbated to psychosis by experience of social difficulties because of racism, and/or experiencing abuse because of an inability to succeed on European terms. The psychotic symptoms themselves defy easy categorization and have a significant affective component as well as psychotic phenomenology encompassing self and identity"

http://caribbean.scielo.org/scielo.p...42012000400026

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Toursit Boards and Ministry in General don't organize festivals. They usually sponsor it. That is what you fail to get. Normally festivals are put on by private individuals/group who have knowledge of the industry and are willing to gamble on profit and loss.

I can't explain it any better. Now you can push your other agenda.

Comment

can't forget Port Royal.

Comment

LOL! Suh yuh feel seh Johnny ah one Roast Breadfruit?

Originally posted by Sir X View Post

THE ROAST BREADFRUIT SYNDROME

Their investigation of the nature of psychotic symptoms of African Caribbeans challenged the historical relationship between Britain and the Caribbean as it applies to definitions of normality and acceptance. They described patients who initially displayed behaviour of being 'functionally White' as having a 'roast breadfruit syndrome', that is, black on the outside and white on the inside; named after the cooked version of the breadfruit (Artocarpus altilis) which has a green skin that becomes charcoal-black when roasted while the inner flesh remains white in colour. They described the characteristic features:

". . . include an overwhelming desire for acceptance by European society, being ashamed of one's indigenous culture with exaggerated rejection in language and manners, and attempts to alter skin colour to appear more white. This can be exacerbated to psychosis by experience of social difficulties because of racism, and/or experiencing abuse because of an inability to succeed on European terms. The psychotic symptoms themselves defy easy categorization and have a significant affective component as well as psychotic phenomenology encompassing self and identity"

http://caribbean.scielo.org/scielo.p...42012000400026
                  Xplain pls
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

In 2 words , Johnny & H.L , both cant undersatnd why our cultural prowerss in music (SKA) has never been exploited in its historical base Kingston by government ,Butch Stewart (Air J) or the hotel magnates Stewart & Issa.

include an overwhelming desire for acceptance by European society, being ashamed of one's indigenous culture with exaggerated rejection in language and manners, and attempts to alter skin colour to appear more white.

It never occured to them that something is amiss!

Comment

X, dem trying to ketch up, my little piece.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRyPz3BJR0M

Comment

Kingston I knew......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcspieGLHjQ

Comment

India now starting Sound System...http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/e...nding-campaign

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
                            In 2 words , Johnny & H.L , both cant undersatnd why our cultural prowerss in music (SKA) has never been exploited in its historical base Kingston by government ,Butch Stewart (Air J) or the hotel magnates Stewart & Issa.

include an overwhelming desire for acceptance by European society, being ashamed of one's indigenous culture with exaggerated rejection in language and manners, and attempts to alter skin colour to appear more white.

It never occured to them that something is amiss!
                            Woooiiiee
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                            X