Our false sense of national pride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our false sense of national pride

I thought I was the only one thinking these things during events like these but I guess not. Thats why I always have mixed feelings about all the pot banging in HWT and elsewhere and I understand why some of the "lesser" athletes who could do with some real help don't find it as impressive as the general public does.

A week removed from the island's celebrations of its 54th year of independence, Jamaicans will, for the next nine days, once again don the national colours right down to their underwear.
    The more the athletes win the more our chests will swell as we proclaim being the best in the world.

But are we really? Yes, people like Bolt, Fraser-Pryce, Elaine Thompson and Omar McLeod are among the best in the world. But as a country, are we?

That right there, is my concern.
    http://jamaica-star.com/article/comm...national-pride
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Yep..tuh much yappin chest beatin' servin' sportin' shootin

.....Too little ah dis... workin' collectively to defined goals (i.e. social contractin')...and CREATIN' modern, valuable products
    What would make me proud is if we could just find it in ourselves to start doing the things that make us great each day, every day. I would love for us to start working together to make our country as crime-free as possible.

I would love for us to start using our creativity to change the world in which we live, creations that will make individuals rich and their country even richer; the things that reflect the values espoused in our national pledge.
    That'll be the day
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Too hard I guess. Cheering and critiquing is easier and much more fun!
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        I thought I was the only one thinking these things during events like these but I guess not. Thats why I always have mixed feelings about all the pot banging in HWT and elsewhere and I understand why some of the "lesser" athletes who could do with some real help don't find it as impressive as the general public does.

http://jamaica-star.com/article/comm...national-pride
        Nice platform for the Jamaican leadership to launch some of the suggested initiatives.....
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

"I would love for us to start working together to make our country as crime-free as possible."

The DPP has a part to play in this. Somebody needs to let her know.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The DPP governs according to our constitution, so where exactly is the problem?

If the constitution has no sanctions for a reckless, incompetent DPP then what does it say about us as a nation.
            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              Too hard I guess. Cheering and critiquing is easier and much more fun!
              Same ting wid football...it's all about yappin' & chest beatin'....and short cut talent importin'. While the real ting is developin' wi yutes

Developin' wi yutes too hard (except fi serve tourist) ...and the people supportin' di fcukery too dumb
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
                The DPP governs according to our constitution, so where exactly is the problem?
                I'm not sure about that. She seems to have fundamental disagreements much too often with other legal minds in the country. The contractor general and INDECOM have had their battles with her. Are they not following the constitution, regardless of how screwed up it might be?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  I'm not sure about that. She seems to have fundamental disagreements much too often with other legal minds in the country. The contractor general and INDECOM have had their battles with her. Are they not following the constitution, regardless of how screwed up it might be?
                  Darn-it bwoy, you Jamaicans make behaving one's-self sure look difficult.
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Time and place. Kill vibes article in the miggle of Olympics is not copacetic.

Comment

The way I see it, no better time to discuss than now when the fair-weather nationalism is out in all its once-a-year glory.

Why wait till next week when the savagery and basic lack of civic pride is back to its usual place?

Comment

Agreed!

There is never a bad time for us to get whipped into shape.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

if a tree falls in the forrest and no one hears it..does it matter?

Comment

Working...
                          X