• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black People get Soaked in Land of Soca

Too black to be Trinidad's prime minister

Friday, February 07, 2014 | 1:22 PM

Dr Keith Rowley

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad - Dr Keith Rowley’s dark skin was cited as the only ground of “objection” to his leading Trinidad and Tobago as prime minister, former sena*tor Fitzgerald Hinds said on Wednesday night.

Speaking at a People’s National Movement (PNM) meeting at Belmont Secondary School, held in support of the political leader’s can**di*dacy, Hinds said: “I know this would break your heart but I will tell you this. One day, at about 1.30 p.m., I was walking through the streets of Port of Spain and I spoke to a former minister of government from a PNM cabinet. And he told me something that troubled me deeply, almost broke my heart, and I am a tough man.

“He said to me that he had just come from a meeting with a couple of other former ministers and some businessmen, and they were all ’round the lunch table and agreed that Dr Rowley had done an excellent job as political leader for the PNM for the last three years.... They thought he did a great job. And told me shockingly that the only issue that came up in objection was that we had never had such a dark-skinned prime minister.”
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Madness.

Comment

Soca madness. You guys ever check Jamaica's carnival. let's not fool ourselves.

Comment

Be that is it may, NONE of these leaders of any colour or stripe are any good!!
        Peter R

Comment

I dont do carnival.

This is not about carnival anyway. You read the article?

Comment

I read the article. Certain sections of Jamaica are/were no different. The same was said of both Hugh Shearer and PJ Patterson. I don't do Jamaica carnival either but the sentiments in the article are rampant there. Hence we shouldn't fool ourselves.

Comment

This is 2017, not 1970 or 1990.
              Such a thing naah reach our newspapers now...even if a 1% still feels that way.

It LUUUGE in TnT and mekking headlines. THAT is the problem. Cant stop people from thinking certain way, but we can stop them voicing this repugnancy!

Comment

It appears it was more tolerable back then considering unprecedented widespread use of bleaching cream.
                Besides,I am not sure if a lighter complexion Bolt would have fared better regarding his light skinned rental neighbour.
                Stitchie,Nuts,Shabba,Betwixdeman,and Bounty didn't bleach yet today's two so-called top dejays are shameless bleachers.
                The same idioms are present,nice nice brown skin baby..

Comment

It is a regional problem,the Haitians are mistreated by their neighbours from DR,skin colour has it purchasing power in GT too.
                  The problem is T&T has long professed having its smelly fingers on the moral compass,and that assertion does not hold up to scrutiny.

Comment

While I don't have any problem with the article, they fail to say that this commentary about the PM being too black, also has its corollary with (some) black folk being equally disdainful of those of East Indian ethnicity in T&T. In that respect you are correct about the "moral compass" IMO. Racism, a la T&T, exists, and it's at least a two-way street!.
                    Peter R

Comment

Point taken(black folks/East Indians).

Comment

Well Bolt neighbour felt di backlash and her hubby read her the riot act!

Comment

That used to be our problem for years.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            That used to be our problem for years.
                            In many circles it still is. White/Brown Man Time is alive & well.

Nuff eediat all ah bleach fi try qualify thru di back door
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

For sure!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X