Port Royal: The Sunken Pirate City in Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port Royal: The Sunken Pirate City in Jamaica

The greatest pirate story ever told won’t be launching later this year with the next Pirates of the Caribbean sequel; it has already occurred—300 years ago. It is the story of Port Royal.

The history of the city of Port Royal in Jamaica has more pirates in it than Johnny Depp’s filmography on IMDB, and the movie industry hasn’t even scratched the surface of how amazing the city actually was at its height.

Port Royal, pre-1692.
    Port Royal wasn’t given the name of Jamaica’s wickedest city lightly. There might be no more deserving city in all of the Caribbean.

The birth of a pirate legend
    Port Royal is located on a small island in the mouth of the Kingston harbor. The Spaniards were the first Europeans who came to the island (coming with Christopher Columbus in 1494). It took about 15 years longer for permanent settlement to follow.

The island’s main value to the Spanish was based on its proximity to trade routes, and its convenience as a port for ship repair and hull scraping. The Spanish controlled the island for about 146 years until it was conquered by the British in 1655. That’s when things started to get interesting. The British were responsible for renaming the settlement: Port Royal.

https://www.interestingshit.com/plac...-city-jamaica/
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

If only people knew.

Dem believe the Hollywood cinema Junk.

Mary Seacole is tied up in the story too!

Comment

"Port Royal is located on a small island in the mouth of the Kingston harbor" What does this mean?

Comment

Abutment of a Peninsula.

Comment

is the palisadoes strip reclaimed land?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

"As it turned out, the island of Port Royal was not in fact built on bedrock, but rather on loosely packed soil. Under the combined force of the earthquake and tsunami, much of that soil liquefied, which greatly contributed to the extent of the damage."

I wrote on this Forum some time ago, that I once saw a map where Port Royal was a series of islands, it appears that I only mange to left doubts...

*****Administrators, when ever I click on the Password filed, I am am getting Not a secured field?*****

Comment

Working...
            X