McDowell aims to boost nightlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDowell aims to boost nightlife

“We can't have such a sector and allow it to die. The world is feasting on the best of Jamaica... our music and our culture, and we are not. So I realised that we have to find the guts to inject some life in our nightlife. The world of entertainment, in all its forms — music, dance, theatre, food, fashion, art — is a great way to build an economy, but many persons are not looking at this. It has to start in small pockets. Look for simple examples and let's rebuild the bustling nightlife which was once a feature of the Jamaican entertainment scene, particularly here in Kingston,” McDowell told Jamaica Observer.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...7?profile=1116
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

I would think the crime situation is a factor in attendance at night events though. When I lived in Kingston and used to go to nightclubs every Friday night, my concern wasn't really while I was out and about on the town with lots of people around. It was more the drive home and getting back in my house. I used to worry most about someone waiting to ambush me as I drove in and parked.

Nonetheless I totally agree with the sentiment that we are barely scratching the surface of the economic value of our culture. I saw where recently they have started an event named House of Dancehall near to where House of Leo used to be. it is supposed to have more of a 90s dancehall vibe in terms of dress, environment and music.

http://houseofdancehall.com/
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

It has to be kgn !
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
      X