Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourist arrivals hit 4M mark

Gwaan Bartlett

The tourist industry started its traditional high season Friday shattering all previous records for visitor arrivals, by welcoming the four millionth tourist so far this year.

Minister of Tourism Edmund Bartlett led a team of officials in a surprise welcome at the Sangster International Airport for Jill Bell of Wisconsin USA, who with her husband Steve, has been to Jamaica 25 times so far, the last ten of which was at Christmastime.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sunda...1?profile=1056
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Three weeks ago, I spent 7 days at the Iburostar Grand near Mo Bay. The overall experience ranks among the top 5 resorts I have stayed.

I think i mentioned to Assasin that I ran into Minister Bartlett on 2 occasions at the hotel.

Here is the point i want to make:

Lobster tails sell for $26.99/lb at Dekalb farmers market. Rock crabs $36.99/lb. Sword fish $18.99 /lb..........

I consumed both lobsters sword fish and rock crabs ad libitum at this hotel. I told my secretary that i will not eat lobster tails for the next year or so...because i got tired of it due to my large consumption.

Question......how can this hotel afford these high end foods?

The Iburostar Grand is fairly pricey...but not close to Half Moon. How the hell can they affort these high end foods !

Assasin any answers.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

AirBnB Experiences - A New Pull For Jamaica As Entertainment Destination

From ramen-making with a Japanese to exploring the secret of sacred tattoos in Thailand, and even kayaking in the lakes of Dublin, Scotland, the popular virtual bed and breakfast AirBnB now offers their guests 'experiences', as designed by their hosts.

From chocolate-making in downtown Kingston, making jerk chicken in Runaway Bay, learning reggae music from well-credited veteran performers or even learning how to roll a 'Jamaican cigar', a number of Jamaicans have entered that mix, offering a range of activities to foreigners and domestic tourists.

"I believe that as a destination, Jamaica has a lot to offer for the adventurous, experiential visitor, which is why Island Routes was one of the first, if not the first, to connect with AirBnB to discuss experiences in Jamaica," Sarah Belfrage, marketing and PR coordinator of Island Routes Caribbean Adventures, told The Sunday Gleaner.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/e...nt-destination
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Lobster in Jamaica is not really that expensive food if you buy it directly from the fisher folks. It shouldn't be that pricey if you don't have to store it for long period.

I am not sure if these hotel buy it in bulk overseas but that is one of the two options. I also know Butch Stewart son have a seafood distribution business that is doing well.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

great. I like the tourism linkage idea that is been pushed. Hopefully we can get the tourist to spend more dollars in Jamaica. Seems like more people are directly and indirectly involved in the business of tourism.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I was in JamDown earlier this year at an AirbnB and the best part of the vacation was the discovery of very nice restaurants with good ambiance in and around the New Kingston and Tradalgar/Waterloo Road area. The food and drink prices were very reasonable. Being able to eat out in good atmosphere was really the best part.

Comment

some of the best food are in small places. Went to one in Port Antonio a few years ago and I have to head back.

Comment

Working...
              X