Clear All

• OK - gamma, Assasin, Shatta and all the music people tell us

more?

--------------

Kingston talks about Beautiful Girls, being homeless and profanity free

AP
    Friday, August 03, 2007

Kingston. writes all of his own music
    NEW YORK (AP) - Sean Kingston proves that how you start out in life doesn't always determine where you end up. Just a few years ago, Kingston was homeless with just a dream of making it big in the music industry. Today, the Miami-born, Jamaican-bred Kingston has one of the hottest songs of the summer, Beautiful Girls.

But Kingston is not content with appearing in front of the microphone. He says he also writes all of his own music. Kingston sat down with The Associated Press to speak about his newfound fame, family and why his music is profanity-free.

AP: What inspired Beautiful Girls?
    Kingston: I was dating this girl for two years and she ended up cheating on me with one of my best friends, like a real close best friend. ... Basically in the story of the track I am talking to her.

AP: So, with the success of the song, should you thank her?
    Kingston: I really don't want to thank her personally because she really dogged me, but if it happens to be that, shouts out Ashley. She knows what it is.

AP: How did you get your record deal?
    Kingston: For those who don't know, I got my deal off MySpace.com. I wrote to JR Rotem. He is big producer. He's done a lot of stuff for Rihanna, 50 Cent, Britney Spears and etc. ... I saw his MySpace (page). I thought, "Yo, this guy is really talented I want to work with him." What I did was hit him up on his e-mail like, "Yo please take time out to listen to my music. I'm in a struggle right now. I'm in a bad situation. Music is my life. Just give me a chance." Once I sent him that message he didn't reply. I kept on sending the messages. I kept on hitting him back like eight times a day. He eventually replied like, "Yo, I want to hear more music."

AP: You seem to have gone through so much at a young age. Tell me about the hardships you have had to overcome.
    Kingston: Those who don't know, my mom, she got taken away from me when I was 14 years old. She is incarcerated. My sister was incarcerated. I was homeless. When my mom went away I was 14. ... I was forced to live with my aunt. My aunt, she doesn't like rap music. She thinks rap music is the devil's music. Basically she said, "Yo, if you are going to do music you can't do it in my house." ... I breathe, I sleep, I eat music. Music is what I wanted to do. When she told me that I was left in a weird situation. I wanted to do music and she heard me coming in with demo CDs and she kicked me out. When she kicked me out I was sleeping in a Fort Lauderdale bus station for two days.

AP: Why are you against using profanity in your music?
    Kingston: With everything that is going on with hip-hop and with what everybody is doing I don't want to be in that lane. I think my lane is very different. I am 17 years old, that's one. I don't really curse in general, when I am talking to people. I come from a good home. It might slip out sometimes but it's not really that big of a deal. To put it in my music, that's not the message I am trying to send out. That's not the type of artiste I am trying to be. That is not the type of lane I am trying to take. I'm looking for a crossover, wide audience. I am here to make great music and pursue a great career and connect with the fans - this big artiste that is making great music and sending positive messages.

AP: How do you describe your music?
    Kingston: I describe my sound as international: reggae, pop, rap, R&B all in one. I think I have my own style. I can't really even describe it. People say, "What type of genre is your music?" It's Sean Kingston genre. I have my own genre. No disrespect to no artiste or dudes out there. I feel like I am my own person. I am doing my own thing.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

I have heard the name but since moving to Georgia their radio stations are lacking.

All I can say is since Glen Simmonds our Reggae 919 is not on the air it is lacking.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
    X