• Show
Clear All

• Whose side is Seaga on?

Whose side is Seaga on?
    published: Sunday | August 5, 2007

Winston Sill - Photographer
    Edward and Carla Seaga.

Carla Seaga, Contributor

There is a political rumour mill, which has been very active over the past month and the degree of deviousness with which it is operating can only be because it has a deliberate design to damage the reputation of my husband, Edward Seaga.

It is time that someone speaks out about what is occurring. My husband refuses to do so, so I have decided to undertake this task, as I have been bombarded by questions by friends who have advised that it is time to speak out.

When Edward Seaga left politics in January 2005, he did so without rancour. He left behind him 30 years of leadership of the jamaica Labour Party (JLP), and from what he says, over 45 years as a member of the JLP.

I know that his loyalty and devotion to his party and his constituency caused him some remorse, but I know too that when he began to operate from his office at the University of the West Indies (UWI), he was glad that he could begin another life, which is non-political. This gave us both more time with family for one thing, and I found that I was also able to pursue more actively other interests in the private secotr. We both moved on.

Bruce Golding was now in charge and not just as Leader of the Opposition, but also as Member of Parliament for West Kingston. The baton had been passed. My husband, however, continued his association with his beloved constituency by retaining an active position in sports. He retained the position as president of the Tivoli Gardens Football Club and continues to hold that post.

Broad range of interests
    That aside, I know my husband now felt free to pursue a broad range of interests in other areas which intrigued him. He gave many lectures because he said he had lived through over 40 years of political change in Jamaica and he had a duty to pass on his experience to others. I know that at the heart of this is a passion for Jamaica and a deep desire to see this country move forward.

Throughout the many months after he left the political field, he was entirely on his own and he wanted to keep it that way because he felt that his new position and active politics would not mix well. There are only four distinguished fellows, of which he is one. The others were vice chancellors of the UWI. They have all avoided controversial politics.
    With the commencement of the general election campaign he made it quite clear to all that he would not be participating.

That was understood and accepted. However, with the announcement of the election date and the participation by P.J. Patterson in the People's National Party campaign, he was asked to become involved. He again made it clear that it would not be compatible with his position to do so.

One evening, on a television newscast a few weeks ago, there was a news item to the effect that my husband had made a statement which was at odds with the one made by Mr. Golding. The news seemed to be playing it up, so I asked him about it and he explained that he was asked whether he agreed that there should be a fixed election date for future elections and he responded that it was his view that it would not be a good move. Golding, he said, was proposing a fixed date.

Why should that have caused a problem? My husband gave the policy response he had given when he was leader of the JLP. Golding gave his current policy - two positions taken at different times.

However, the result of this, amazingly, was that rumours started that he was not supporting the JLP. The rumours expanded to claim that he was supporting Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller.

Edward Seaga is the one person in Jamaica who should never be called upon to defend his loyalty to the JLP. He has made more sacrifices and has been through more suffering for his party than anyone else. Ask his older children about that.

His dedicated service to his party, his constituency and his country robbed him of a normal day-to-day life and it certainly left him without any of the wealth he could have achieved had he spent his time in the private sector. But it left him rich in integrity and with a deep satisfaction of having served his country well.

Healthy respect
    Regarding his friendship with Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller, this is not a recent matter. They have been close political friends for years, with both having a healthy respect for one another. In explaining this to me he has said that Michael Manley and Hugh Shearer also shared a strong friendship. To my mind, it would be a sad commentary on our political maturity if this could not be the case!

After Portia Simpson Miller became Prime Minister, my husband paid a courtesy call on her at Jamaica House, as would be expected of him. I was with him when he visited her at her home on one occasion. He discussed his Fort Augusta Free Port project for Jamaica, which he had been promoting for years, and the development of a water scheme for Spanish Town, to end the water crisis. At another recent meeting at her home, he made a quick visit to seek her emergency support to avert a crisis in the national football programme.

But the rumour mills now have it that he attended fund-raising functions on her behalf. We have attended no fund-raising functions on either side.

It is Prime Minister Simpson Miller who has made it known that in her position, she feels free to call on the experience and knowledge of my husband. What is wrong with that? Isn't that political maturity for the continuation of programmes that are in the best interest of Jamaica?

Immature persons
    She makes no secret of the fact that she respects him highly. I will never forget the time when, on the first day of the Cricket World Cup, the Prime Minister called to find out why he wasn't there. After she heard he had not been invited, she said she had to have him there as he was not regarded by her as just another politician, but as a national resource, and with that she sent her own car for him, which arrived 20 minutes later.

It is difficult for me to be aware of this and to consider recent treatment from some members of the JLP. Many persons have noted to us that the JLP manifesto recently launched contained many of the proposals put forward by my husband before he left. We had to comment that only his ideas were invited, as he was not!

This exclusion could not and would not be Golding's position nor of most Labourites. Just the position of a few immature persons who know nothing of the importance of history and who seem determined to use rancour to propel Golding. These persons are in danger of tarnishing Golding's reputation. But this is not the doing of my husband. I wish for a peaceful election. We will do much to promote this peace if we take the high road and a mature approach.
    Last edited by Karl; August 5, 2007, 06:53 PM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Interesting article, seems the PNP and Portia has more respect for Seaga than the JLP
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
      Interesting article, seems the PNP and Portia has more respect for Seaga than the JLP
      Jackass say something bout worl not being level? The day Seaga turn up pon a JLP platform is the day all a unuh start shouting, "See deh!!!" Bruce is yet to give unuh that chance suh unuh affi find another way fi complain.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

who the devil number 1?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

interesting..

Comment

Lazie, who you quarreling with now me or Mrs Seaga...remember is not me who write the article, I just commented on what was written
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Lazie, who you quarreling with now me or Mrs Seaga...remember is not me who write the article, I just commented on what was written
              Quarrel? Where you get that impression? The fact is I seen posts with the same thing here and I've heard people ... comrades to be exact saying the same thing. Look like people running out of excuses ... suh they all want to go back to the attack seaga M.O.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Let me hear you expand on that response OJ, there is a lot you are not saying
                Che Guevara.

Comment

But I dont get that from this piece, not at all. Fact is people who dont foillow news or for whatever reason have asked why Seaga is not on the campaign platform, even Assassin asked a few weeks ago and he claims to follow news and issues.

Maybe I am one of the desperate ones clinging to any straw but I sense a bit if dissappointment in Carla's tone as to how her husband has been treated by the JLp the party he help to build and gave most of his life to.

Let me single out two portions, Portia sending her personal car for him to come to World Cup cricket but the JLP not seeing it fit to even invite him to the launch of the manifesto that she claims had a lot of his original ideas.

But wait we thought that this document was solely Bruce's brain child and his creation????
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

S,

In the grand scheme of things, this is irrelevant to suffering Jakans. Who cares about a long standing family feud???

Which manifesto was ever the product of one man???

Mek we talk bout issues, not cass cass.

Comment

What is obvious is Seaga is been petty. He is upset that he lost as he wanted to rule the JLP for life. It is obvious he still habouring bad feelings, Why is the only article he has written about any of the two leaders is to criticise the set election date and it took a former PNP to say Seaga is not totally right. He thought nobody would say nothing about it? He is articulate and writes very well so I don't understand why his wife is the one writing and not him. She must tell her husband to let it go. He doesn't have to be on platforms, he can simple state that he supports some of Bruce's policy. That can't be against his new found distinguish fellow rules.

Bruce Golding has unified his party something Seaga couldn't do since 1980 and presented maybe the best Manifesto they ever had. Seaga wants to end up like his friend Sir John Compton from St.Lucia, Bruce may have saved him the agony.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Rhatid you turn pon the Maximum leader now??? A house divided against itrself cannot stand.

BTW David Coore is not a former PNP, he is a former PNP MP, Minister and Speaker of the house or some thing to the effect but never call the man a former PNP.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Rhatid you turn pon the Maximum leader now??? A house divided against itrself cannot stand.

BTW David Coore is not a former PNP, he is a former PNP MP, Minister and Speaker of the house or some thing to the effect but never call the man a former PNP.
                          Sickko,

U being petty now. Seaga is no longer a part of the JLP. His wife sez that his new role precludes him being close to active politics, yet she sez Portia regards him as a resource.

Seaga has a penchant for petty wranglings as we all know and right or wrong he wont budge.

In any case, what dowes this have to do with the coming election. As musch as PnP people, save Portia, hated Seaga, this actually could work out in Bruce's favour.

If U want to discus petty cass cass, there are forums on the Net where people are saying that if Portia wins, she will NOT be named PM. The talk is that the parliamentary majority will support Peter Phillips and advise the GG that PP is their choice as PM. Of course, we know that Portia brought in lots of fresh blood to try and prevent this.

Comment

oooh Willi you never smoke without fire.

Comment

Sickko I didn't remember who it was, I know it was an influencial member but mie nah go tell nuh like.

I have always criticised Seaga when I see it fit to do so. I am not afraid to criticize any politician. It is not personal it is all about policies and performance. If the PNP could achieve 5% growth per year they could have had my support but after 18 I can't see anything new.

I have said Seaga should have resigned from about 95 and give somebody else a chance. It was about 10-11 years too long.

Comment

Working...
                              X