• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old-timers reflect on past elections

Old-timers reflect on past elections
    published: Sunday | August 5, 2007

Adrian Frater and Gareth Manning, Sunday Gleaner Reporters

'Politics nuh nice again,' was how seasoned People's National Party (PNP) activist, Venetta Samuels, described today's political campaigning in comparison to what she called, the 'Father Manley and Busta' time.

Samuels, of Mount Salem, in St. James, who proudly proclaims herself a Comrade, says politics in the late '50s and '60s was a fun-filled and fascinating experience under the stewardship of former PNP leader Norman Manley and his Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) counterpart and cousin, Sir Alexander Bustamante.

"Those days you used to have JLP and PNP meetings going on two streets apart and people would move freely from one meeting to the other," said the sprightly grandmother. "In those days, we never had any fighting and guns ... it was all fun."

Eighty-year-old Ziola Foster, who was born in Cuba but came to Jamaica as a child, remembers the electioneering of the 1940s and '50s as an unadulterated exercise in fun and merrymaking. According to her, people used to look forward to attending the various political meetings and to participate in the lively political debates that usually followed.

"It was just all friendly bantering ... no cuss, no quarrel and no fighting," says Foster, who now lives in Montego Bay and New York. "After the elections, life would go back to normal until the next campaign time ... we never dwell on politics day after day like I see happening today."

For Samuels, one of the high points of electioneering back in the '60s was the ceremonial burying of the losing party the day after the election, which usually featured the participation of both victors and vanquished.

"If the PNP lose, the JLP would make a token coffin and we would all march through the town with a marching band playing and people singing and dancing," says Samuels. "At the end of the day, we would have a mock funeral and then it would be all over for the elections."

Happy times
    Simeon 'Black Boy' Tomlinson, who grew up partially in the Barnett Lane area of downtown Montego Bay, smiled broadly as he reminisced on his experience with political campaigning as a young man back in the 1960s.
    "PNP would go to JLP meeting with their broom and pretend to be sweeping them out and the JLP would do the same thing," said Mr. Tomlinson. "However, once the meetings were over, JLP and PNP supporters would dance together in the street. There was no fussing and fighting."

According to Tomlinson, violence did not begin to contaminate political campaigning until the mid-1970s when he says rival supporters started stoning each other's meeting. He says the stoning steadily turned to gun violence in subsequent years.

But, for 60-year-old Marcia Smith (not her real name), of Duke Street, in May Pen, the violence really started during the 1980 election.
    "Man heart jus get wicked, we no have no good heart again," she says as she remembers the bloody election campaign period in which over 800 people died.

Smith has been voting every election since Independence, but she says politics has taken a nosedive for the worst, and no longer has any interest in it.
    "Me not voting. Only time politician come roun is when is voting time. Before dat them tell you seh if you have problem go to Harry, and then Harry tell you seh go to Tom. Me no know if a sense me never have, but me a vote and me never get nutten from the party," says a frustrated Ms. Smith, alluding to her failed efforts to get a house from the National Housing Trust. "Me just frustrated with the system," she adds.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Many tears ago
    published: Monday | August 6, 2007

Garth Rattray
    I was approaching seven years old when Jamaica achieved independence on August 6, 1962, but I remember that day fairly well. My father, mother, sister and I (my younger brother wasn't born back then) went to our primary school that morning. I recall the beautifully adorned plates, thick, pearly white ceramic cups and other souvenirs (they don't make them like that anymore) - all decorated with our brand new coat of arms and flag. I remember the ceremony and the crowds, the pride, the expectation of a great future and the feeling of something new, magical and wonderful - it was the birth of our nation I was a child, Independence Day was better than Christmas for me. But, that was many tears ago.

Our leaders exuded decorum, honour and a willingness to sacrifice themselves for their country. Jamaica seemed to be foremost in their thoughts. It was a time of transition, a time when the remnants of the organisation and discipline of the British system lingered within our society. Citizens felt that the Government cared about them, was there for them and would take care of them should the need arise. Our leaders seemed to be caretakers firstand politicians second. The civil service was efficient, upstanding and fair. But, that was many tears ago.

Poor communities
    Poor communities were not overrun by violence. People did their best to keep their minds, bodies, surroundings and morals clean. Neighbours looked out for each other. Children were indeed raised by a 'village'. Community spirit was high; people never allowed politics or differing ideologies to come between them. Political arguments were mostly confined to exuberant discussions perhaps over a few alcoholic beverages. There were no violent gangs, drug empires or guns barking in the streets. But, that was many tears ago.

Blood and bitter tears of intolerable anguish never ran freely in our streets. Murders were rare and mostly due to domestic disagreements or crimes of passion. Robbers didn't intrude with murder in their hearts. People didn't readily resort to brutality and murder as a means of settling all disputes. Politicians and (later) gangland mobsters didn't conscript directionless, underprivileged and desperate youths to intimidate and slaughter pregnant women, unborn children, girls, boys, the young, middle-aged and elderly to further their own selfish goals. Little boys only carried toy guns and played games like cowboys and Indians. But, that was many tears ago.

Pearl of the Caribbean
    Jamaica was beautiful in every way. We were the pearl of the Caribbean. We led, both economically and socially. We were envied by our neigh-bours; their citizens clamoured to visit their big sister island. We were seen as an exotic island paradise. Our people were free to walk any street just about any time of day or night. Children were safe; abductions were unheard of, motorists could park along any thoroughfare (no matter how remote), to rest or recreate without fear. But, that was many tears ago.

Opposing politicians could campaign together and sit civilly to interact with the voting public. There was no bickering, finger-pointing, mud-slinging, name-calling or threats. Mutual respect and decorum prevailed. No guns were provided to 'defend' the garrisons. The lives of our people meant more than mere numbers at the rallies and exes on the ballot. People were simpler back then but not stupid. They would not have allowed others to use them and murder them in their lust for power and glory. 'One love' once had meaning; it was more than an advertising slogan. But, that was many tears ago.

Dr. Garth A. Rattray is a medical doctor with a family practice. Email: garthrattray@gmail.com.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Old-timers reflect on past elections
      published: Sunday | August 5, 2007

Adrian Frater and Gareth Manning, Sunday Gleaner Reporters

'Politics nuh nice again,' was how seasoned People's National Party (PNP) activist, Venetta Samuels, described today's political campaigning in comparison to what she called, the 'Father Manley and Busta' time.

Samuels, of Mount Salem, in St. James, who proudly proclaims herself a Comrade, says politics in the late '50s and '60s was a fun-filled and fascinating experience under the stewardship of former PNP leader Norman Manley and his Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) counterpart and cousin, Sir Alexander Bustamante.

"Those days you used to have JLP and PNP meetings going on two streets apart and people would move freely from one meeting to the other," said the sprightly grandmother. "In those days, we never had any fighting and guns ... it was all fun."

Eighty-year-old Ziola Foster, who was born in Cuba but came to Jamaica as a child, remembers the electioneering of the 1940s and '50s as an unadulterated exercise in fun and merrymaking. According to her, people used to look forward to attending the various political meetings and to participate in the lively political debates that usually followed.

"It was just all friendly bantering ... no cuss, no quarrel and no fighting," says Foster, who now lives in Montego Bay and New York. "After the elections, life would go back to normal until the next campaign time ... we never dwell on politics day after day like I see happening today."

For Samuels, one of the high points of electioneering back in the '60s was the ceremonial burying of the losing party the day after the election, which usually featured the participation of both victors and vanquished.

"If the PNP lose, the JLP would make a token coffin and we would all march through the town with a marching band playing and people singing and dancing," says Samuels. "At the end of the day, we would have a mock funeral and then it would be all over for the elections."

Happy times
      Simeon 'Black Boy' Tomlinson, who grew up partially in the Barnett Lane area of downtown Montego Bay, smiled broadly as he reminisced on his experience with political campaigning as a young man back in the 1960s.
      "PNP would go to JLP meeting with their broom and pretend to be sweeping them out and the JLP would do the same thing," said Mr. Tomlinson. "However, once the meetings were over, JLP and PNP supporters would dance together in the street. There was no fussing and fighting."

According to Tomlinson, violence did not begin to contaminate political campaigning until the mid-1970s when he says rival supporters started stoning each other's meeting. He says the stoning steadily turned to gun violence in subsequent years.

But, for 60-year-old Marcia Smith (not her real name), of Duke Street, in May Pen, the violence really started during the 1980 election.
      "Man heart jus get wicked, we no have no good heart again," she says as she remembers the bloody election campaign period in which over 800 people died.

Smith has been voting every election since Independence, but she says politics has taken a nosedive for the worst, and no longer has any interest in it.
      "Me not voting. Only time politician come roun is when is voting time. Before dat them tell you seh if you have problem go to Harry, and then Harry tell you seh go to Tom. Me no know if a sense me never have, but me a vote and me never get nutten from the party," says a frustrated Ms. Smith, alluding to her failed efforts to get a house from the National Housing Trust. "Me just frustrated with the system," she adds.
      I think too many people still see it as a fun thing, not realizing exactly what is happening. Look at Karl, to him elections in Jamaica is a sport.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
      X