• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 45th Jamaica! I am

dreaming of a new Jamaica,
    a land of peace and love
    and all who believe in love
    dem better vote in JLP!

How many days now since manifesto buss .. and todate the PNP been struggling to discredit the proposals. I wonder, how many of the points will end up in the PNP's manifesto? Any bets?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I dont see this as a partisan issue at all.

It just seems apparent that Jam. needs a fresh injection and time to try a new set. If they dont work out, then we shuffle the deck again.

Neither set will be perfect, but Jakan voters need to seize the intitiative and set the terms of the relationship, rather than being ruled by it.

If this set gets in and does a good job, the other set will have to raise their game to get back in and do a comparatively better job to stay in. Jam can only benefit from this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
      I dont see this as a partisan issue at all.

It just seems apparent that Jam. needs a fresh injection and time to try a new set. If they dont work out, then we shuffle the deck again.

Neither set will be perfect, but Jakan voters need to seize the intitiative and set the terms of the relationship, rather than being ruled by it.

If this set gets in and does a good job, the other set will have to raise their game to get back in and do a comparatively better job to stay in. Jam can only benefit from this.
      Willi, thats all I've been saying all along. The problem is people round yah head tuff. As fi Karl, as long as PNP in power .... him have no problem.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

One thing tht seems apparent to me that no one is specifically comment on is this: If BG wins, there will be a huge pardigm shift. There will be TONS of fundamental changes, that people dont seem to be aware of. Some we wont particularly like, but most will certainly be welcomed.

We have spoken of ID cards, new parishes and fixed election dates, that many find iffy. However, there is another thing...

Knowing his experience in Spain Twn when he was the junior one Don and the fact that he was toe to toe with Eddie and Portia in DONSHIP, I have seen his Damascus conversion. He does not have the stomach for the Strongman/woman thing. Like Saul becoming Paul, he turned away and paid the price. He was the absolute leader in Central St Catherine and when he went to NDM, he took his key activists and henchmen with him. The mistake he made was to try to run a real campaign, using organization in the hustings and eschewing the violence thing. Over one short time period, all these activists were terminated with extreme prejudice by Dons coming from Kingston and it was game set ad match.

What I am saying is that Bruce knows that there is no long term future for him playing the Donship game and so I believe that if he gets in....dollyhouse gonna mash up. His only chance for long term political success is to level the playing field by smashing the political gunman culture and rely on issues and performance in governance. I mean, what else can he do, as he knows he is not loved and he has no stomach for the fight?? Plus, I think he has great ambitions as a statesman. He seems to want a great legacy. With a smashed gun culture, the parties will be less beligerent and will work better together.

If you read his words carefully, you may intuit what I am picking up.

I have no assuance for any of this, just what I decipher from history and wht he utters. Read below:

Leaders urge nation to forget political differences

Monday, August 06, 2007

LOCAL leaders are urging Jamaicans not to destroy the foundation that has been laid in the 45 years since the country gained Independence in 1962 because of political differences.
        Addressing the nation in his second Independence message, Governor General Professor Kenneth Hall said while 45 years was by no means a long time in the life of a nation, "it is long enough for us to have learned from the mistakes made, from the deficits in our approaches to a better and fulfilling life".
        He further urged citizens to continue the quest for peaceful progress in the observance of democratic governance.
        In her address, Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller said the 45 years "have not been wasted" but conceded that there was "much more ground to cover".
        She, however, noted that the general elections set for August 27 would allow some fundamental decisions about the way forward to be made.
        According to the prime minister, the elections present an opportunity for Jamaicans to demonstrate "wisdom and maturity in handling political affairs", saying the country had too much to offer to be defeated by political violence.
        "I call on all our leaders and everyone with a heart of love for this country to help spread the word that violence serves no useful purpose. No one wins. Everyone loses," Simpson Miller said.
        Meanwhile, Opposition Leader Bruce Golding said the elections should be a model one given the fact that it was the struggles to secure the right to vote that eventually led to Independence in 1962.
        He said the incidences of violence and death which have so far marred the election campaign "was a betrayal of the struggle that was waged and the sacrifices made to secure independence".
        Golding said while the deaths in-between the tumultuous periods of 1938 and 1962 when independence was fought for were for a 'cause', the deaths now are senseless.
        "But what are people dying for today? Why are they being killed? So that one party can be victorious over another? That is not what those patriots who fought and gave their lives intended," the Opposition Leader said.
        He said that there was still time to salvage the democratic process.
        According to the Opposition Leader, the elections were not to be a "fight for the power and the glory", but rather about the path to be taken to achieve the elusive goals of independence.

Comment

BTW, though I have reservations about Portia...she is head and shoulders better than PJ ever was.

I am not sure how deep she goes, but at least she seems to have a more active conscience.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            a land of peace and love
            dem better vote in JLP!

How many days now since manifesto buss .. and todate the PNP been struggling to discredit the proposals. I wonder, how many of the points will end up in the PNP's manifesto? Any bets?
            Just about all will be shown to be in plans already tabled within Ministries and quasi-government bodies.

I would expect the PNP's manifesto to amplify on where the programs currently are and tell of the next steps...and, there shall be introduction of new investment plans, infastructure developments and proposed enhanced movement of the country on the same (staying the) course.

We'll see!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Just found this -

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              a land of peace and love
              dem better vote in JLP!

---------

The changed agenda vs the strategic plan to ensure continuity
              Christopher Burns
              Monday, August 06, 2007

Tomorrow, both major political parties will nominate 120 candidates to contest Jamaica's 15th general election, slated for August 27. The National Democratic Movement will field nine candidates, and there could be Independent candidates as well. Like other general elections, much is at stake in this election, not only for the leadership of both major parties, but also for the country as a whole.

To begin with, the Jamaica Labour Party, which has been in Opposition since 1989, has a new leader in the person of Bruce Golding. Mr Golding is regarded by many as urbane, bright, visionary and articulate. He is seeking the prime ministership on the premise that Jamaica needs a change and that the JLP is the best party to lead that change. His party thinks that 18 years is an inordinately long period for any one administration to hold power.

The JLP cites corruption, mismanagement, economic stagnation, injustice, intolerably high levels of crime and violence, among other aberrations, as the basis for its "Jamaica needs a change now" campaign. The JLP is convinced of its ability, policies and programmes, and believes it has the political will and core competencies to move Jamaica forward.

The People's National Party elected its leader, Portia Simpson Miller, in February 2006. Mrs Simpson Miller comes from working-class parentage, possesses enormous emotional and practical intelligence and a strong social conscience. She is regarded by many as an instinctive egalitarian, charismatic, trustworthy and resolute in her stance to improve the lives of the marginalised.

She is seeking to retain the prime ministership on the premise that despite the stubborn challenges and setbacks, the socio-economic framework has been established, and with some amount of strategic shifting the country can realise its potential of becoming a developed state.

The PNP cites among its achievements improvement in the Net International Reserves from negative US$650 million (overdraft) status in 1989 to US$2.3 billion in recent months.

It also lists improvements in roads, air and seaports, health care, education, sports development, poverty reduction, lower unemployment levels and advancement in telecommunication and information technology as major areas of accomplishment. The PNP also lists its record in housing, economic development, tourism expansion, access to potable water and electricity, land reform, deregulation and market liberalisation and a stable macroeconomic climate as achievements.

It is on the basis of these assertions that both political parties assigned teams to produce their election manifestos - manifestos are strictly non-binding. The JLP released its manifesto last Monday and the PNP, having announced weeks ago that it would release its manifesto after Nomination Day, will do so on Thursday.

The presentation of the JLP's manifesto by Bruce Golding was excellent. The manifesto is well produced and covers almost all areas of national life. Everything is included, except the price tag. Surprisingly, there are many aspects of the manifesto, especially the segments dealing with constitutional reform that point to a consolidation between the JLP and the NDM.

However, as I perused the document, it struck me as being quite odd for the party that has made "change" the central feature of its campaign to have used the words "change," "changes," and "changing" only seven times. This is in sharp contrast to the use of words such as "improve", "improvement", "strengthen", "continue", and "maintain", suggesting continuity, a total of 75 times.

No wonder there are so many elements of government's policies such as early childhood education, sugar divestment, inner-city housing, justice reform, entertainment and heritage tourism, for example included in the JLP's manifesto. This gives hope that a JLP government, even though it campaigned on change, would be less inclined to disband the gains already made, but would fortify and improve upon some of the existing programmes.

This is precisely why I found it strange when I heard some media commentators talking a whole lot of nonsense the other day about the PNP's plan to plagiarise the contents of the JLP's manifesto. It is really puerile of them to harbour this thought. I am not a PNP apologist. However, I am committed to the truth and to the establishment of the facts. It is up to you to draw your own inferences. However, there are two major investment projects included in the JLP manifesto that the party claims as major new initiatives which I believe is patently disingenuous of the party to do.

The first is the proposed Vernamfield Cargo, Aerodrome and Airport project. From as far back as May 2005, then Development Minister Dr Paul Robertson met with and invited Mexican investors to consider the development of the airport and industrial complex in Vernamfield. But as recently as September last year, the prime minister gave her full support for a feasibility study to be done on the proposed US$450-million development by New York-based consultant firm, Simat, Helliesen & Eichner, in partnership with the government. In her 2007 budget speech, the prime minister commended Mike Henry for his active role in the project.

The second claim that raises concern is the promise to build a convention centre in Montego Bay. It is this same prime minister who, after many false starts by her predecessor, announced in Parliament in May that a financing agreement would be in place for the construction of the convention centre. On June 2, 2007 the minister of finance and planning Dr Omar Davies, and officials of the Export-Import Bank of China officially signed the concessionary loan agreement for US$51.67 million.

It seems fair to conclude therefore that a large plank of the JLP's policies and programmes are hinged on the foundation already laid by the current administration, because many of the JLP's proposals are not inconsistent with current policy initiatives being pursued by the PNP. This is a good sign of political maturity. After all, it makes no sense to throw out the baby with the bath water, or to change things for change's sake.

Burnscg@aol.com

Aside: Agree with the sentiments of the sentences that conclude the commentary. That matter of the winner always throwing out many good programs past administrations had introduced and or implemented.

Interesting article!
              Last edited by Karl; August 6, 2007, 11:12 AM.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What I would like to remind people of is the Maxwell article about development that protect our natural assets.

The JLP manifesto dealt with some of this, but not enough. Clearly our past Govts have given this short shrift. We tend to take our blessings for granted.

Maxwell, who I dont always agree with, makes the good point that we are busy chasing after the status quo, when things may well change significantly in the next few years. If the weather patterns change, if the developed world goes into econ shock with radically higher oil prices or a financial meltdown, then we would be a day late and a dollar short. This is why I lament the lack of growth and development during the last 2 decades when the world economy saw unprecedented prosperity.

It may well be likely that we start to get serious now, but the world will be collapsing into a shell owing to a secular econ. downturn or any other huge change to the prosperous status quo. There needs to be greater strategic planning for a NEGATIVE global econ. envirnoment and a negative physical environment as well. We cant assume that the current benign conditions will last.

I like Maxwell's idea of food security through self-sufficiency and develpment that does not impinge on our natural ecology. For all we know, in 10 years, fresh, clean water may become MORE expensive than oil or computer chips!!! We should make sure that projects do NOT adversely impact our prime agro lands, our coastlines, our water sources and our natural beaty spots. In times of crisis (recall Gilbert) we need to recall how important water access is.

While we pine away for the info age and all its glamour, we must recall that the basics are the foundation. Fresh water, fertile soil and a optimistic and healthy population are the MOST important and fundamental things.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                  We should make sure that projects do NOT adversely impact our prime agro lands, our coastlines, our water sources and our natural beaty spots. In times of crisis (recall Gilbert) we need to recall how important water access is.

While we pine away for the info age and all its glamour, we must recall that the basics are the foundation. Fresh water, fertile soil and a optimistic and healthy population are the MOST important and fundamental things.
                  Nice Willi

Tell this to the DUMB WITS who were anxious to sell out the COCKPIT area a few months ago. Probably them not really DUMB, them just looking out for their own coffers!!
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                    Nice Willi

Tell this to the DUMB WITS who were anxious to sell out the COCKPIT area a few months ago. Probably them not really DUMB, them just looking out for their own coffers!!

Agreed, but that is why the population needs to get activist. However, I understand how hard it is to see the big picture when U are downtrodden with day to day woes and hardships. It tends to make people shorttermist in their views and evaluations.

Nevertheless, one of the reasons why we here love Jamaica so is that the place is a physical paradise. The stunning beauty and grace of the island warms the very cockels of our soul and rejuvenates us just thinking about it. i once read an American who said that he was able to take a vacation anytime. He simply would relax, close his eyes and imagine with great intensity and vividity that he was lying on a beach in JAMAICA, sipping a Mint Julia (sp?) and after 10+ minutes of that he was re-energised for a long time. Honestly, I am not even sure this man had even been to Jamaica, but that was his direct quote.

Jamaica is Magic, plain and simple, Jamaica is beauty and we messing it up with ugliness. I say we can, should and must do better!

Comment

You do expect them to share some of the ideas, though, don't you? I believe there won't be much difference and it won't be because one copied from the other.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        You do expect them to share some of the ideas, though, don't you? I believe there won't be much difference and it won't be because one copied from the other.

Agreed,

However, it is unacceptable for a sitting Govt to be beaten to the punch on this. If for no other reason that the claim of copying would be avoided.

The Govt sets the election date and didnt consider the timing of their showpiece document? This time, I think the manifesto will count for something in the mind of the electorate...if nothing else but the publicity and the debates scheduled.

Comment

Working...
                        X