How would Jamaica be affected, if U.S.,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would Jamaica be affected, if U.S.,

Canada & U.K., where you get the majority of your tourists from, experience a Coronavirus outbreak, like China???

2 weekends ago I was speaking with someone from T&T, and asked him how would COVID-19 affect T&T's economy, if their major tourism markets were affected - He said that there would be some effects, BUT unlike other Caribbean islands their economy is not dependent on tourism. Their top industries are Energy, Manufacturing & Agriculture.

So, I would like to pose the same question here - How would COVID-19 affect Jamaica's economy, if their major tourism markets (U.S., Canada & U.K.) were affected, like China???

If I am not mistaken... a whopping ~30% of Jamaicas' economy depend on tourism. Do the arithmetic. Not good at all Jangle !!

A country can only operate based on all it's natural and developed strength. Just like T&T with it's energy sources.

Tourism is a natural gift to Jamaica. Manufacturing and Agriculture are underdeveloped in Jamaica. Much room exists for science based enterprises. in order for this to be economically viable...it requires the billion $ outside investments...……………………………… …>>>>
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

HL this thing affect so much more as Shipping is affected. Parts needed for manufcatuing. In China 80 percent drop in car sales for one month. Tourism came to a standstill. If Americans can't travel either it will be a big dent as most people live pay check to paycheck.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Well said HL.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

The Jamaican government must seriously start working on developing multiple streams of revenue. I know that tourism is Jamaica's "bread & butter", and they shouldn't abandon it, BUT they're asking for trouble if they're dependent on one industry for most of their revenue.......Another crazy thing happened yesterday - About 3 weeks ago I convinced a former co-worker, his wife & 8 of their friends to vacation in Jamaica, this Summer, instead of the Cayman Islands. Yesterday he called me to ask if everything was OK in Jamaica, because he just heard that men with automatic weapons killed 2 people in a highly rated hotel in Montego Bay, and maybe it was best they went to Cayman Islands instead. After doing some checks, I found out that 1 person was killed (a targeted hit) & another was injured, by a stray round, and it was outside the hotel, BUT that didn't pacify their concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
            Well said HL.
            Mildly surprised that the forum genius has not attached himself to this thread. Anyway ........

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
              Much room exists for science based enterprises. in order for this to be economically viable...it requires the billion $ outside investments...……………………………… …>>>>
              Fortunately you are VERY wrong re what science & technology takes to be successful. It's a wrong-headed argument to claim that outside investment is the first input needed "to be economically viable" Continue on an obviously nonsensical approach and you'll be a confirmed Dummy

The first and by far the most important input is the status of Jamaica's HUMAN CAPITAL. That's BRAINPOWER which has a significant CAPABILITY in the disciplines.

That takes EDUCATION -- That's where Jamaica has been fcuked by Dummy JLPNP politicians for generations. The solution is in Jamaica's hands - not "foreign investors"
              No investor goes to a country to upgrade its education

Fix that and JA starts on the road to progress. When there is significant KNOWLEDGE & CAPABILITY --- that's what ATTRACTS investment which tries to leverage the human capital into valuable products & services. This is not complicated but most seem ignorant of reality

Unfortunately JLPNP Dummies' philosophy is that "education cyaan nyam" as that eediat Bustamante proclaimed and the JLPNP Circus has adopted - except for a few. Jamaica - Where Dummies run di place
              Last edited by Don1; March 5, 2020, 11:10 AM.
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Preach brethren, been saying it for yesrs,Jamaicans dont believe and rate themselves. It's a schizophrenic belief,dem chat alot ,not doers and most of it is pure fawwwt as to why we can and cannot move the needle.
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I just simplify everything and call them what they are...DUMMIES

Nuh time fi nuh long-talk nowadays. Mi juss deal wid di ting proppa yuhzimi

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

good thing for trinidad that COVID-19 will have no impact on trade and the manufacturing & energy industries

Comment

In reality your thesis is incorrect...

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
                      Preach brethren, been saying it for yesrs,Jamaicans dont believe and rate themselves. It's a schizophrenic belief,dem chat alot ,not doers and most of it is pure fawwwt as to why we can and cannot move the needle.
                      We Jamaicans absolutely believe in ourselves. Which makes us world class in several areas. Obviously not in technology but in:

* Running fast
                      * Singing
                      * Dancing
                      * Victimizing the poor
                      * Spending excessively on bling & assorted rubbish
                      * Profiling in fancy cars & houses
                      * Thieving
                      * Murdering
                      * Bribing
                      * Politicking i.e. Partisan tribalism
                      * Spouting rubbish theories based on ignorance
                      * Latecoming

I could continue but....

So all the dummies whose views demonstrate the will of the majority...create the nightmare scenario Jamaica finds itself within
                      Last edited by Don1; March 6, 2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                        We Jamaicans absolutely believe in ourselves. Which makes us world class in several areas. Obviously not in technology but in:

* Running fast
                        * Singing
                        * Dancing
                        * Victimizing the poor
                        * Spending excessively on bling & assorted rubbish
                        * Profiling in fancy cars & houses
                        * Thieving
                        * Murdering
                        * Bribing
                        * Politicking i.e. Partisan tribalism
                        * Spouting rubbish theories based on ignorance
                        * Latecoming

I could continue but....

So all the dummies whose views demonstrate the will of the majority...create the nightmare scenario Jamaica finds itself within
                        Sounds like a highly educated and evolved person like yourself, would be more effective in government. Maybe you should consider moving back to the little island and run for office. Jamaica is desperate for your brilliance.
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Fortunately Jamaica's education system and its students are already experiencing what I have to offer....With more in the offing

Perhaps you should figure out how to make a significant contribution to JA aside from nonsensical prattle on an obscure platform

Comment

You could start your career in helping JA by getting folks there interested in your brilliant idea to convert St Thomas into the WhoreHouse Capital of the Caribbean.

Yuh tribal colleague Sass was interested in that superb initiative...and he's a tourism "expert" so both of you could join forces to make it happen. Unnu cudda juss start wid one likkle WhoreHouse and grow di business. Cyaan lose atall

Comment

..............aye sah.

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X