RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wignal seh PNP's own poll shows them trailing by 4 points...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wignal seh PNP's own poll shows them trailing by 4 points...

The kiss of death for the PNP
    Mark Wignall
    Thursday, August 16, 2007

Even though I found the three national political debates to be too sterile for my liking, I believe that they gave us all a hint as to the thought processes driving policy in both the Jamaica Labour Party(JLP) and the People's National Party(PNP). I would have preferred more controlled crosstalk between the rival participants and the inclusion of questions (via telephones) from the public.

In the first debate, Dr Ken Baugh of the JLP was aced by the PNP's Dr Peter Phillips simply because, at heart, Dr Baugh is not really a politician and he is too much of a gentleman to indulge in a bruising "fight" on national television. Which is not to say that Dr Phillips was without decorum. Through no fault of their own, both men are boring speakers and were it not for the fact that they were debating at this particular time, most viewers would have turned to cable for a good movie.

In the second debate between Audley Shaw and Dr Omar Davies, Shaw came out on top. After Dr Davies' stewardship throughout the 1990s, it is difficult to imagine him winning any debate against anyone, especially where economic policy is the main focus. That said, it seemed to me that Dr Davies was deliberately soft, probably because he had seen the latest poll done for the PNP showing the JLP four percentage points ahead of his party. Maybe he was worried because his leader was slated to be next in line in the debates. I could almost hear Dr Omar Davies echoing the first line from John Holt's old hit, "My heart is gone, I need, I need someone to lean on."

It is my belief that Dr Davies could have used the "blind-them-with-science" tactic to win the debate, but decided against it and went half-heartedly into the debate. Hints of continued factionalism?

Political debates, like budget presentations, are hardly ever listened to or watched on television. Because of the popularity of Portia Simpson Miller, it is my belief that maybe as high as 75 per cent of the electorate listened (watched) parts or all of it. And therein lies the problem for the PNP.
    It seemed to me that where Bruce Golding entered the debate supremely confident of a victory, Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller approached it with trepidation, almost like Little Red Riding Hood skipping through the forest to mask her fear of the big, bad wolf. That the big, bad wolf did materialise did not make Mrs Simpson Miller's passage any easier.

It was a deliberate tactic of the JLP that Golding's objective in the debate would be to defend his JLP to NDM to JLP moves and his interface with garrison politics, set out his party's position with regards to funding the programmes in the JLP's highly impressive manifesto and do all of that without beating up on the lady. In that regard he was highly successful.

On the other hand, from the first question, it was obvious that the prime minister was in deep, treacherous waters. I have pointed out in a number of articles that Jamaica is probably the only country in the world where a prime minister was elected/newly installed and more than a year later, there has been no one-on-one with the press. Had the prime minister embraced the media rather than throwing hostility at it, she would have made errors, but the one-on-ones would have made her into a more seasoned campaigner in her face-off with Golding.

At times, it seemed that the nervousness was about to overwhelm her, but then again, if it were nerves alone, it would not have been so bad. In instances it appeared that she plainly didn't know what she was talking about.

One well-known PNP activist called me and said: "A minister of government called me and asked me if I am watching it. I told him yes. He asked me what I thought about it. I asked HIM what he thought about it. He said he was watching it with one hand across his face and peeping through his fingers."

When the prime minister said, "Watch me work, I am a hard worker," I almost wanted to rush to her, embrace her and say, "It's OK. That's life. This is not your time now." Although I find myself instantly liking people who are willing to break with stiff-upper-lip protocols in order to gain a strategic advantage in a particular situation, I think the prime minister went too far in that respect with her mention of "Mama P" and "Portia". The fact that she used the words when she was stumped only made it worse.

I spoke to a few PNP diehards who watched the debate and ALL agree that Golding came out on top. And ALL agree that they will be voting PNP come August 27, 2007. It is among the weak PNP supporters, the lukewarm JLP supporters and the uncommitted that the JLP will likely gain support via the debate.

To the extent that some among the rural and urban poor will see themselves in the prime minister as she stood like a statue at first and being unable to answer questions successfully, the support will be to the PNP's advantage.

It is after the debates that the real madness began. First, the prime minister told a PNP crowd in Marverly that she demolished Golding. Really? The crowd roared. It is indeed the silly season. Then Danny Buchanan, that most unfortunate voice in the PNP, has been telling anyone who will listen that Portia soundly trounced Bruce in the debates!

In the end, the debates have to be more than who triumphed over whom. It has to be about the future of the country and the happiness of its people. In the debate, I saw a prime minister who was not even half up to the task of the job she was presented with via her February 25, 2006 win in the PNP's internal election. In the debate, I was very definitely not convinced that this country can present her with any other responsibilities which she may crave by way of that event to come on August 27, 2007.

In Golding I saw Jamaica's next prime minister, fully in charge of a tightly-knit party, and easily able to wend his way through explaining the difficulties of creating and managing policies in a JLP government.

The prime minister's many references to "Portia" and "I" indicates to me that the PNP "team" is a fallacy. There is still disunity in the PNP camp and even though all seemed to have come on board for the sake of the coming elections, many in the hierarchy of the party do not have their hearts in it because the empress has no clothes.

What we had all suspected was made plain to us last Saturday night.
    Jamaica deserves more than just being made a laughing stock in the region. If Jamaicans in the diaspora had a vote and the people could be slotted in their last places of abode in Jamaica, the PNP would not win more than 10 seats come August 27. That debate last Saturday was the kiss of death for the PNP.
    observemark@gmail.com

Dont agree about the 'kiss of death'. Golding was abviously the more articulate. Question is - to what degree will the debate influence the elections? Maybe little. There was distinct thread of haughtiness and contempt in Bruce's contributions while Portia's were simplistic but seemed genuine. My take - Portia may not have a full deck but willing to play fair? Bruce - has the aces but willing to mash up the game to win? I may be wrong.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't want to see what would happen if the JLP should lose.

Can anyone take Wignall's polls seriously after the last election's debacle? He needs to stick to writing and leave polls alone. Pollsters must have even a veil of integrity or you are simply reporting what was heard at last night's pub session.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
        Dont agree about the 'kiss of death'. Golding was abviously the more articulate. Question is - to what degree will the debate influence the elections? Maybe little. There was distinct thread of haughtiness and contempt in Bruce's contributions while Portia's were simplistic but seemed genuine. My take - Portia may not have a full deck but willing to play fair? Bruce - has the aces but willing to mash up the game to win? I may be wrong.
        Are you being objective Balla? Oops sorry .... Exile! Some people can come up with some argument some times I really wonder if unuh serious or unuh a mek joke.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I dont agree.

Portia did NOT seem genuine when defending her position on corruption.
          The obvious conflict was evident and she made a hash of it. Both for Trafigur and Paulwell.

The fact that she is embarking on constituency development NOW after all these years made her seem opportunistic.

Bruce struck me as condescening only once...it was at te time when she accused him of not wanting to open the civil service debate to the public and he told her that she got her facts mixed up and that her arguments were weak. I dont know the facts, but her arguments then were very weak.

Infact, I was amazed that he kept his cool so well, given that Porti attacked his character and trustworthiness in a very personal manner! I agree all is fair game in such a setting, and that is why the reflex to "protect" Portia, who claims to be a strong leader is ill-advised. Potia claims strength, but is afraid of the media and of facing scrutiny!!! This is why she looked so bad, she lacks practice as she is too shielded!

Mash up the game to win???? I could not in good conscience put that charge more one one than the other. Both are very hungry for the win and will use most any tactic to get it.

Comment

As to whether it will affect the outcome significantly...I have no idea.

JLP is the one with the momentum now, so it will be a nailbiter.

Comment

Good points. I wasn't impressed with Portia's debating skills but niether was I impressed with Bruce's. I don't think either candidate dealt with the questions although some of the journalists thought they were the ones on show with their vague or roundabout questions.
              I would love to see them go one on one with moderator of some measure - not just a time keeper. You know that guy from BBC?

Comment

You are too caught up with all of this to even contribute meaningfully to anything other than vote JLP. Are you any different from the raving colour-clad masses in the motorcades?

Comment

Yes, the moderator was a timekeeper. Anyone could have done that job, yet we went for people who had "name".

I'm sure debates of the future will improve. These still served a purpose.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Exile, Is "time fi a change".

On that principle alone I would vote JLP; forget all the baseless promises etc. that both parties make. PNP get a good long time at the crease and them still cyaan mek a fifty. Retire an put a nex man in... if him out fuss ball, don pick him next time.

This is coming from a man (me) who grew up thinking that to be called a "Labourite" was worse kind of epithet that one could ever be labelled.

pr
                    Peter R

Comment

You are too caught up with all of this to even contribute meaningfully to anything other than vote JLP. Are you any different from the raving colour-clad masses in the motorcades?
                      Maybe not, but that doesn't change the fact that what you posted was a STRETCH!!!!

Time unuh get real.
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

It still is! heh heh!

The PNP should not worry when its supporters vote Labour this election. But wi still nah run go form one nedda party!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                          Exile, Is "time fi a change".

On that principle alone I would vote JLP; forget all the baseless promises etc. that both parties make. PNP get a good long time at the crease and them still cyaan mek a fifty. Retire an put a nex man in... if him out fuss ball, don pick him next time.

This is coming from a man (me) who grew up thinking that to be called a "Labourite" was worse kind of epithet that one could ever be labelled.

pr
                          I hear you too, boss...but, as I have been trying to ask Lazie, how many really think so?

...and, on the debate, I raised the same points Exile raised.

There is a large body...I think...on both sides that are as diehard as Lazie. It is those outside the diehards ranks who shall decide which party is at the helm for the next 5 years. What then will move the greater majority of these to Portia's or Bruce's side?

The truth is as far as corruption goes neither Portia nor Bruce will be seen as at fault by the vast majority.

As far as needing a mandate goes both, in my mind, are seeking their first term. With a majority of those outside the diehards see it my way?

Change? - In my mind both bring change. Portia has brought in many new faces...and, that is a hint that she does not trust some within her own party and is shoring up her base...changing things. There is no doubt in my mind that if she wins, some of the current ministers will go. Others of seeming influence will be relegated to the background. The party will be moved on 'rapid' to a Portia party. Governance will take new course.

Bruce is new! Just by/on winning there shall be new faces and style of governance.

Who shall those outside of the diehard ranks chose, Portia or Bruce? ...and, so we could go on. Whichever side the majority of the swing voters come down on will form our government. That says the real canvasing is going to be done over the days up until the elections.

Portia's team will have the harder task of convincing a group dissatisfied with "rate of progress"...that the "rate" will pick up pace as she is a newly arrived and needs her mandate.

Bruce merely has to convince them that his "pace shall be faster". Those persons will be inclined to think "we know Portia's pace"...even though somewhere in the backs of their minds they know governments move "slowly" and the few short months Portia was in office are insufficient to get the true measure of the PM.

The next few days should be exciting as the maxim that "all elections are local" kicks in. What is the standing in each constituency?

Wonder why neither of the parties give any poll results on this?
                          Last edited by Karl; August 16, 2007, 01:56 PM.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

many new faces? who? abe dabdoub?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Karl, nuh follow Exile. Him just upset that mi point out the folly in his post. Suh it guh Exile.

Anyway, when any man round here vote both PNP and JLP then dem can call me die hard. Until then, unuh just trying to find a way fi mek unuhself look objective.

I keep it real. If rain a fall mi naah guh claim that sun a shine. This gov't has been a disaster .... VOTE JLP!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X