Remittance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remittance question

I dont get remittance from the US or Canada or England but I do send money to the US as part of my obligations.

Those of you here and others who do send remittance home, is it a patriotic duty to your beloved country or is it obligation to family or bussiness here?

I ask because I heard some discussion as to what would happen if all Jamaicans or those who send remittance here should stop.

Would those who stop be punishing the government or family members?

I know remittance come for many reasons, to pay mortgages, rents, school fees, medicine and Lord knows what else.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

The country would suffer. Immediate family members would feel the pinch first, but in the long run, the entire economy would suffer. Sick did you by chance study economics at any point in your schooling? I am not being facetious, I am just wondering.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Country would suffer but immediate family would feel a pinch...No I never got past the basics of econ at Cornwall and basically all i know id the law of supply and demand...but I dated this woman who went to Brown and who who did her Phd Thesis on barrell children and had to read and help edit a lot of her work.

Incase you misse dit here is my point again...when people send back remittance yes it helps the country but it is the effect on those who line up at Western Union and Jamaica National which is most immediate and most effective...you are free to agree or not...
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

the economy would collaspe by by 25%. Remmittance help ever sector of the economy from housing, transportation, retail, and children who go to school. Do you think the man them who line up at Western Union are the main beneficiary of remmittance?

This would have the same effect as if all tourist stop coming to Ja.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

rem

the economy would collaspe by by 25%. Remmittance help ever sector of the economy from housing, transportation, retail, and children who go to school. Do you think the man them who line up at Western Union are the main beneficiary of remmittance?

This would have the same effect as if all tourist stop coming to Ja.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

red herring sickko...regardless of how or why it does and it has helped to prop up the jamaican economy and the government has come rely HEAVILY on it.....to mix two sayings....ronnie thwaites nuh come fi count cow him come fi drink milk but why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free..nuh true?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

ha ha ha....I am more confused with the mixture than anything else...how things on the sand bar? Unnu all right?
              Che Guevara.

Comment

but I dated this woman who went to Brown and who who did her Phd Thesis on barrell children and had to read and help edit a lot of her work.
                So you are telling me then you are were like an ass carrying a load of books?
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Not sure I get what you are trying to say
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Explain that one to me...it is over my head and remember I am not so bright to begin with...
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                      I dont get remittance from the US or Canada or England but I do send money to the US as part of my obligations.

Those of you here and others who do send remittance home, is it a patriotic duty to your beloved country or is it obligation to family or bussiness here?

I ask because I heard some discussion as to what would happen if all Jamaicans or those who send remittance here should stop.

I know remittance come for many reasons, to pay mortgages, rents, school fees, medicine and Lord knows what else.
                      Personally - I send funds home for the reasons you mentioned...but, additionally I contribute to "causes" on the island. I am dead sure many here do the same.

...besides many also make gifts to Jamaican nationals studying or visiting who on the completion of studies and or visit return to contribute to the "health" of the country. I know you know of persons who make this latter investment in our people and the country.
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

If it was directed at me let me explain. Most of the big remittance comes through bank and not Western Unions and even if some come through western union you won't see anybody line up to collect that.

Secondly Remmittance money is spent in every sector of the economy from the shop keeper to the lumber yard, car, houses,to purchase of newspaper so it would negitively affect the economy badly since only tourism bring more money to the island.

once there is such a big change in the economy it would hve a ripple effect as number one the dollar would have to be devalued by a huge amount because of the shortage of foriegn currency. If the devaluation results in more export then fine but since we have been devaluing the dollar our export has not increase much. The sudden devaluation would lead to a rise in interest rate and maybe inflation.

The fact is I wish if many of the people getting remmittance could use it to make wiser choice and the government(not PNP or JLP now) would encourage it both with policies and ideas.

Comment

Simply put, you have no understanding of what you are preaching. . .
                          There is a saying "He who repeats that which he does not understand is no better than an ass loaded with books".

Think of the ass in this sense as a donkey.

Comment

You are spot on Missa Sass!

Comment

surf ruff and it windy.....whu whey yuh seh? yuh confused? jamaican politician wants ALL that jamaicans living abroad has to offer but won't consider taking steps to allow them to excercise their francise via absentee ballot?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X