RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where will Messrs Golding and Shaw find the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where will Messrs Golding and Shaw find the money?

Where will Messrs Golding and Shaw find the money?
    BY DR Omar Davies Minister of Finance
    Sunday, August 19, 2007

Both political parties have focused on the issue of improving the educational system in their party manifestos, and within that context, literacy is of prime importance. Whilst I support an emphasis on literacy, numeracy is also equally an important area of deficiency, not just in the school system but throughout the whole society.

The JLP, led by Messrs Golding and Shaw, even whilst condemning the level of the national debt, have been promising all of Jamaica, at every stop on the campaign trail, to spend more money. However, when pressed, they have been seeking to explain that the promises would be delivered in stages depending on economic growth and increases in tax revenues.

I wish to focus on one single promise - that of the commitment to allocate $9 billion to be shared equally amongst the 60 MPs. This works out at $150 million per MP. When cornered, this commitment has been modified to state that this is not "new money" but will be "reallocated" from other areas. The public has the right to know from Messrs Golding and Shaw from which areas these funds will be "reallocated".

In the absence of any help from them, let us attempt to dissect these wild promises and show why they are empty and meant only to mislead. Presumably, if we assume that we intend to service our debt and pay our policemen, teachers and nurses, this "reallocated" money will come from the Capital Budget. We must also assume that we cannot "touch" the funds of the foreign institutions, (the Capital B Budget). This leaves us with the Capital A Budget, which is financed by GOJ funds.

In this fiscal year, the Capital A Budget is $22.7 billion. However, $11.3 billion of this sum represents "accounting entries". This means that funds which were spent in previous years are now being formally recorded, as is required by the Auditor General.

Another $2 billion is an exchange of cheques with Air Jamaica but included in the expenditure budget for transparency. As such, we now have a maximum of $9.4 billion of cash from which this $9 billion could be reallocated. I challenge Messrs Golding and Shaw and anyone else to refute my arithmetic so far.

Let us look at this $9.4 billion. Of this, $2.7 billion represents expenditure by the Ministry of Education from funds transferred from the NHT. This is spoken for, unless Messrs Golding and Shaw intend to cease expenditure on the education transformation programme and transfer the resources to individual MPs.

We are now down to $6.7 billion from which Messrs Golding and Shaw will be reallocating $9 billion to the MPs!! The last time anyone was able to achieve a similar feat was approximately two thousand years ago!!

But let us probe a little further. From this remaining $6.7 billion, there is approximately $940 million for capital projects being implemented by the ministries of tourism, national security, health and agriculture. This effectively leaves us with the Ministry of Works and the Ministry of Local Government. Their total Capital A Budget in cash comes to $4.2 billion. Even if we were to close these ministries and give the funds to the MPs we are still a far cry from the sum of $9 billion which has been committed over and over again by Messrs Golding and Shaw.

Mr Editor, I should indicate that my concern is not only about the wild promises of Messrs Golding and Shaw. These are desperate men trying to win votes by any means. However, when someone like John Jackson, a "financial analyst" has the temerity to accuse me of demonstrating a lack of honesty on this subject, the obvious reluctance/refusal to examine the facts is worrying. I leave it to readers to develop possible motives for his position.

When I was growing up, an old shoemaker in the village of Four Paths told me that "commonsense is far from common". Everyday, I have found this observation to be oh so true.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

A 'reasoned answer'...and, or a 'draw yuh toungue' opening gambit? ...or, a bit of both?

I would bet Omar wish that the JLP points to other sources from which they would "reallocate" funds? The aim to draw out the debate and hopfully shoot down the JLP arguments?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

We are now down to $6.7 billion from which Messrs Golding and Shaw will be reallocating $9 billion to the MPs!! The last time anyone was able to achieve a similar feat was approximately two thousand years ago!!
      Comedian to rahtid!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Seems like Omar a panic.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Panic? Why yuh seh dat?

What about the argument dat him sell out di debate? I thought he won that debate and is showing now that he cares.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            Seems like Omar a panic.
            Based on how Omar has mismanaged the economy; based on how the economy grew an average of 0.8% under his watch; can any well thinking person take him serious? Exactly what did John Jackson said that was incorrect? Shaw had to explain time and again during the debate the need to grow the economy and it appeared to be a foreign term to him and the panelist.

Dem need fi tek whey demselves and mek serious people run the country.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              Panic? Why yuh seh dat?

What about the argument dat him sell out di debate? I thought he won that debate and is showing now that he cares.
              pity there will soon be a powercut ... but when yuh get the chance PLEASE explain how you come to that conclusion.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

What conclusion?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That Omar won the debate.

Comment

the fact that he has to use that medium in a time like now when most people not really taking any criticising of the oppositon or pnp as nothing as political right now. It doesn't allow for the other party to answer.

It just seems strange to me to have this formal type of reasoning in an article so close to the election, this must mean the opposition argument is gaining some traction and he has to find a way to get his message out.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Obviously, it is my opinion. I can't prove that he won it. But Shaw seemed short on facts and only scored points because Omar dem dideh fi 18 years. But Shaw does not give me confidence as a finance minister.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        It doesn't allow for the other party to answer.
                        Huh?! The election is next Monday, not tomorrow.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yes Mosiah it is next week, the JLP don't even have to answer because it is election time. It shows the JLP argument is gaining traction and is a last ditch effort by Omar.

Comment

Can't understand your take. The debate hardly allowed for this kind of analysis. If you think it's a last ditch effort, fine.

I dare Shaw to respond. If he really knows where he is getting the money from for all these promises, answer if him bad!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

this kind of argument should have been made at least a month ago not now when most minds are made up

Comment

Working...
                              X