Me cyaan't believe sey.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me cyaan't believe sey.......

the word "Irie" was the name given to Trinidad by the Amerindians!!

TRINIDAD 4,828 sq km ( 1,864 sq miles )

DISCOVERY
    For Trinidad ( where Tobago only joins Trinidad for a parallel history in 1889 ) the Spanish reign following Columbus' landfall and naming in 1498, would last some 300 years till its end; with true British occupation beginning in 1797.
    Trinidad would consequently be ruled by only two empires, the Spanish for 299 years and the British for 179 years, before enjoining the twin-island Republic in 1976; which approximates to 478 years of foreign rule, 24 of self-rule, in 502 years of New World existence to the turn of the New Millennium.

It was Alonzo Perez Nirando, at about noon on Tuesday 31st July 1498, who first sighted from the high rigging in the main-top, La Trinity - as Columbus had already decided to call the first land he expected to discover on this, his third voyage. The range of three mountains that was first observed, gave Columbus pause to reflect that he was well favoured by the grace of God. [FC, CC -TBOT]

Some historians cite the hills to the south of today's Trinidad, the consequently named Trinity Hills of the southern range, as those first sighted by Nirando; but this is highly unlikely. More probable is the silhouette outlined by Mount Tamana, the most easterly prominent component of the central range, together with the high peaks of the northern range, making up the triad; if not, the peaks of the northern range alone; as seen from a distance of some 15 leagues [FC -TBOT] ( 40[MapJW] - 45[CE] statute miles / 64 - 72 km ) out to sea; due East of the island.

The Amerindian name for the island, thought to have been in common use since 1000 AD, was Ieri the land of the humming bird [JH]. This name is still in use today, with a slight French variation, and in a very subtle almost private turn of phrase in friendship with a strong warm gladdening and festive connotation. Iëre. Ah feelin Iëre.

http://www.seetobago.com/tandt/carni...tnwhistory.htm

Whey you deh boss? I saw Ringsman, I be gyour pardon, Snr Supt RIngsman, in March. Hino and me and Ringo got together. The conversation drifted, at a time, to wayward officers like you. We all were hoping you were doing well, and it seems like we were correct.
    Respect and Guidance!
    "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

"Wayward officers" Me?? but see yah!!

BTW: Heard Barker, CC Old Boy & Ex JCF, passed away last month in Jamaica!

Comment

Barker was in my year. I can see him now. I remember our graduation ceremony for three distinct things; Gigee gave an address that was stunningly good, Dean kissed the Revd Daly's wife as she handed out diplomas (if a kiss is to be given instead of the regular handshake, it should be given by the presenter of the diplomas and not by the recipient), and Barker was the only student who was not in uniform. He was dressed in a boassy boassy suit. May God rest his soul!
        So whey yu deh boss? Witness protection or what? It looks like the Trinnis are still after you. If I laff I dead to rahitd.
        "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

I think you are talking about Barkers little brother. This Barker was a year or 2 ahead of me. Leroy was his name if my memory serves me. Almost sure he was a Cadet too.

WPP? Nope, right here in S. Fl. Periodically run accross some CC Ole Bwoys! like Tenge Brown, Hugo Bailey, Levi Earle, Cookie Munsta may pass thru now and then.

Another CC Old Boy & JCF memeber to pass was Donovan "Cave Dwella" Clarke. Passed away June I think.

Yuh nuh how me feel bout dem Trinis!!

Comment

Working...
          X