X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observer goes after Portia

Country being run like a 'patty shop'

Thursday, August 23, 2007

We admit to a 'sneaking' feeling that Jamaica is not running on all fours and that the leadership of the country is not as sure-footed as it should be, at a time when it is most needed.

... Portia doing better that Bush after Katrina

The confusion surrounding the declaration of a State of Public Emergency is an obvious case in point. Given the serious nature of this provision, we would have expected that no less than the prime minister herself would have announced it to the nation.

.... I would have advise her to not to annouce it herself and not to allow any politician to announce it.

In her unavoidable absence, it would have been acceptable for the minister of information or any other minister, especially the minister of national security or the justice minister and attorney general, to make the announcement.

....The logical choice would be the Commisioner of Police but I would go a step further and use the Director of the ODM and EM. I would ask the head of the ODM & EM to do it in order to highlight the fact that this is purely a Disaster Emergency Management tool and has nothing to do with party politics.

Instead, what happened was nothing short of a 'patty shop' approach to the nation's business. A low-level functionary in a government agency was called by a radio station to read the declaration on behalf of the prime minister.

... Who made the announcement?

When reporters tried to ask questions - questions that every right-thinking citizen would themselves ask - such as what the State of Public Emergency specifically meant and what would be expected of them, all the functionary could say was that he was not the person to answer those questions. This is ludicrous. But it did not end there.

....If true then you have a valid point.

The head of police operations disclosed that accompanying regulations for the proclamation of the State of Public Emergency did not reach the police up to Tuesday morning when he was speaking on a radio programme.

..... They said that they hand a printing problem. Did you want it hand written!!!!!!!

Later that day, we were to learn that the opposition leader and the commissioner of police had not been consulted prior to the declaration. It gets worse.

..... Bruce was consulted and he objected.

After the Electoral Commission met and recommended that the general election be postponed, the nation was told through uncertain sources that the official decision to put off the election would be taken by the "Governor General in Council".

The Governor General in Council was taken to mean the Governor General and the members of the Privy Council and this was reportedly confirmed by the solicitor general, with the alleged agreement of Mr David Coore, one of the framers of the Jamaican Constitution.

... After 45 years we should be clear what The Governor General in Council means. Blame every administration not just this one.

As the drama continued, we were told that a member of the Privy Council made the observation that "in Council" was more likely to mean the Cabinet. The solicitor-general then allegedly agreed with the new interpretation, leading to the summoning of the Cabinet into emergency session Tuesday night.

Although the Cabinet met until 1:00 am Wednesday, the nation was told to wait until 8:00 pm that evening to hear what was decided when the prime minister would address the country.

.... What is wrong with waiting? Why hurry to annouce a delayed election date?

.... Dam her if she sends someone to do it. Dam her if she decides to wait to do it herself.

Sometime after 6:00 pm, the state-run Jamaica Information Service (JIS) informed media houses that the prime minister's address would only be in audio and text, and even then, that might be delayed.

.... She had better things to do. The election date is not important.

On top of that, the opposition leader reported that up to Tuesday, the bi-partisan monitoring committee for the post-hurricane restoration effort, headed by Minister Robert Pickersgill, had not met.
    This country's leadership is not even on auto pilot. It appears to be drifting aimlessly.

.... What is their job?
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Both from a realistic standpoint and from political benefit - Portia wins!

...but, she wins only if the efforts at getting the country back on its feet is expertly and professionally carried out with speed! That at one felt stroke would in a tangible way show she is a manager and someone who cares.

Go to it Portia! 4-6 weeks...8 weeks at the outside, then ELECTIONS!
    Go to it Portia, Work like a titan! Work like a friend! Work like a Champion! Give a clear hint of your Jamaica - People (lives) first!

Only two more measured appearances in/on the media to address the Jamaican people. First one 7 days from now! Last to review accomplishments of not you...but, the vast army of volunteers, government & quasi-government workers and the rest of the Jamaican people and to emphasise the date for elections *(Election date will have been announced by the Constitution mandated authority) - states(wo)man-like and boss leader-like. Malice (no mention - just action) towards none - Love for all (Shown and announced)!

Go to it, Portia!
    FORWARD!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

NOW...shi must work? ef she had worked like she should have we would NOT be having this conversation......there is an implicit admission in your post.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

That is one way of looking at my statement - but, if you had been following my statements from Sister P took office - (Willi for one disagreed with me there...and, still does now) - that the time the PM has been in office is not enough to judge her ability...and, she should be given her mandate and thus be able to show her management ability.

This particular 'effort' - restoration of the country to normalcy - would be her first visible national effort that all Jamaicans - in every nook and cranny - would be touched directly and in an immediate way.

Yes, Sister P go deh!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

AND if you look at my posts from back in the day I supported her elevation to office....she made strategic blunder after blunder beginning with not optimising the wave of goodwill across the board that greeted her when she ook office....she should have immediately called election to get her own mandate. another blunder was not cleaning house within her own party.....if she had done that she would not now be scrambling to "cram" in order to pass this exam!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            That is one way of looking at my statement - but, if you had been following my statements from Sister P took office - (Willi for one disagreed with me there...and, still does now) - that the time the PM has been in office is not enough to judge her ability...and, she should be given her mandate and thus be able to show her management ability.
            "Given her mandate"? She needs to ask for it by calling an early election. And, I have maintained that she does not need her own mandate. Why isn't Gordon Brown seeking his own mandate? This country does not give individuals their own mandate. We vote for MPs and depending on how that goes, the party leader becomes PM. Portia is the legitimate PM and should have acted like she knew! Clean house - and I could suggest a few right now, like Pickersgill, Paulwell, AJ, KD - and if she doesn't understand what I said early, call an election when she was popular just by being Portia.

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            This particular 'effort' - restoration of the country to normalcy - would be her first visible national effort that all Jamaicans - in every nook and cranny - would be touched directly and in an immediate way.

Yes, Sister P go deh!
            Well, she better not mess it up.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

This is a blatant attack on the PM .. because she is a woman. Shame on the Observer .....
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                AND if you look at my posts from back in the day I supported her elevation to office....she made strategic blunder after blunder beginning with not optimising the wave of goodwill across the board that greeted her when she ook office....she should have immediately called election to get her own mandate. another blunder was not cleaning house within her own party.....if she had done that she would not now be scrambling to "cram" in order to pass this exam!
                If she had called elections immediately she would have won the elections but set herself up to lose the PMship.

Won! - She would have had to go to the electorate without having the opportunity to re-balance the MPs to be more favourable supporters of her. She has injected many new persons - her people!

Lose! - The old boys would have found ways to undermine...which incidently would also make things not good for the country. Blame her for that! Push her out!

She decided to seek her own mandate with the deck better stacked in her favour!

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  "Given her mandate"? She needs to ask for it by calling an early election. And, I have maintained that she does not need her own mandate. Why isn't Gordon Brown seeking his own mandate? This country does not give individuals their own mandate. We vote for MPs and depending on how that goes, the party leader becomes PM. Portia is the legitimate PM and should have acted like she knew! Clean house - and I could suggest a few right now, like Pickersgill, Paulwell, AJ, KD - and if she doesn't understand what I said early, call an election when she was popular just by being Portia.

Clean house?
                  Send them to the backbenches to vote against her every move?
                  I think not!

Comment

Is there a better pom pom shaking cheerleader than Karl? This bredda find a excuse fi everything. KArl, mi wonda if yuh acting believe wha yuh say sometimes.
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

utter nonsense...anyone who would undermine her if she got her own mandate would underm,ine her now...there were 2 compnents karl...clean hose and get her own mandate.....postponing it all until now has only hurt her...that is what the polss reflect...yuh nuh si dat?!!!!

she made a HUGE blunder and no amount of spinning can change that, this election seems to be closer than it could have or should have been in her favour HENCE the need to perform now after the hurricane to try and gain back favour...yuh well and si dat based on your original post but for whatever reason you cannot come out straight and acknowledge it!

Comment

Can we stop this "get her own mandate" thing? Mosiah rarely get things right when it comes to our political situation, but he did get this right. We vote for our MPs and it is the MPs from the winning party that make the recommendation to the GG who to appoint as PM.

Sorry Mo, not meaning to burst yuh bubble but, this isn't right "the party leader becomes PM." The PNP after winning the election with Portia as party leader, however, the MPs from within the PNP may recommend Peter Phillips to be Prime Minister.

Anyway, the fact is Portia did get her mandate. She coming asking for a mandate is either she playing politics or she nuh know what she talking bout.

Comment

that madate was not from the jamaican people....politics in jamaica is a cult of personality...yuh nuh si dat? dat is why seaga would neva get back in...people nuh like him....even if they admit that he was a good finance minister....did shearer win an election? no...why? no cult of personality....busta and michael especially. seaga benefitted from michael's loss of personality and pj in turn benefitted likewise from seaga's LACK of a likeable public persona.

Comment

Gamma: Who is that creature - he's interrupting my thought process - and I don't want it giving me nightmares in my sleep
                            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                              Gamma: Who is that creature - he's interrupting my thought process - and I don't want it giving me nightmares in my sleep
                              Oh .. thats Danny Buchanan our Minister of MisInformation

Comment

Working...
                              X