Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This will make the US election of 2000 look like

phriggery.

There can be no griping about the PNP's intention to file lawsuits against persons who allegedly have foreign citizenship. Lawmakers can't be lawbreakers!

But what should happen thereafter? The fair thing to do is to allow the offending party to field another candidate (could be the same person who has since renounced the farin citizenship) in a by-election. But suppose that by-election gives us a majority in parliament for the PNP, what happens then?!

Depending on how many by-elections take place, those elections could end up being a sort of general election, swinging the majority seats to the PNP.

Have I missed something? Is that where we could find ourselves? Who would take such a decision lightly?

On the other hand, this idea that Bruce needs to call an election soon because of the narrow margin of victory, as some "political analysts" have said, is rubbish! 31-29 means he won and if we have to put up with him for 5 years, so be it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Regarding your last paragraph, if 2 disgruntled JLP MPs decide to cross the floor because they didn't get a cabinet position ... well ... you see the issue?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yes, but that would make sense for an election to be called. Crossing the floor would overturn the entire apple cart! But the margin of victory, as happened last night, should not condemn Jamaicans to another year of motorcades and political advertising.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Bruce can be a Caldorone of Mexico. With Mexico evenly divided he took office and make some good moves that left the opposition in problem and he gained support. Should Bruce Golding make some good moves people will see him as the right leader, should he not then dwag nam him suppa.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

watch to see if thwaites will be offered the position of speaker of the house! what a la la!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            phriggery.

There can be no griping about the PNP's intention to file lawsuits against persons who allegedly have foreign citizenship. Lawmakers can't be lawbreakers!

But what should happen thereafter? The fair thing to do is to allow the offending party to field another candidate (could be the same person who has since renounced the farin citizenship) in a by-election. But suppose that by-election gives us a majority in parliament for the PNP, what happens then?!

Depending on how many by-elections - (My understanding is there is the alternative of declaring today's 'loser' the winner.) - take place, these elections could end up being a sort of general election, swinging the majority seats to the PNP.
            Why is it every little bump that arise or in this case may arise the pundits claim it is this huge problem?

So what if Bruce sits in Jamaica House and then has to step aside as a results of challenges?

The answer is the new leader takes necessary steps to change whatever he/she considers necessary and life goes on! Can it be otherwise? Ofcourse not, so what is the big deal?

On the other hand, this idea that Bruce needs to call an election soon because of the narrow margin of victory, as some "political analysts" have said, is rubbish! 31-29 means he won and if we have to put up with him for 5 years, so be it!
            I am thinking Bruce's speech last night gives a hint of his thoughts - if he can consolidate his position, why not?

Early elections to aid that consolidation? I am sure he would be monitoring the pulse of the country and strike as he sees fit. Nothing wrong with that!

One year? Two years? ...or, 2012? So what?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I always wanted a close election so that whoever formed the govt would not have much room for almshouse, but this is too close for comfort.

Its one of those cases where the margin of victory could well be less than the margin of error in counting the ballots.

In our fragile political environment this could easily get really nasty.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

i think a close election is a blessing...it will really show us if the politicians on both sides are willing to work together for jamaica's benefit or whether it is all about gaining power...we shall soon see.....

as i said portia is fighting for her politcal life not only as pm but as president of the the pnp...did anyone see the interview wih maxine henry wilson? she studiously AVOIDED any mention of portia simpson.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

What do early elections guarantee? Would that give one of the parties a bigger edge in parliament? It might just land us in a tie! How would you like that!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I noticed that.

I don't think it is going to be easy to remove Portia from the presidency, but I'm certain they will spare no effort!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

and that....could kill the pnp...i see portia crossing the floor if the boot her out of the presidency...all she knows is politics...yuh think shi gwine turn into housewife and bake brownies for errol or errald (mi nuh memba too good)?

Comment

Exactly! He would be foolish to call an unncecessary election... all the undecideds who leaned to PNP would come out to vote, and the JLP supporters could very well rest on their laurels, stay home and he could end up losing.

pr
                        Peter R

Comment

Yuh see it too. Yuh sharp man. LoL

Comment

Maybe easier than you think. If all the delegate votes from Phillips, Blythe and Davies goes against Portia, she is out. She did not command an absolute majority of delegates.

Comment

Working...
                            X