• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 100 Most Powerful Women

#89 Portia Simpson Miller
    08.31.06, 6:00 PM ET

Prime Minister

Jamaica © AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa

This Caribbean nation's first female prime minister was elected in February as the candidate of the People's National Party. A longtime government official who was born into rural poverty, Simpson Miller formerly oversaw tourism, labor, community development, local government and social security affairs for the island. As sports minister, she oversaw Jamaica's first foray into soccer's World Cup, and as tourism minister, she dealt with a decimated travel industry following the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

In her inaugural address, Simpson Miller vowed to fight corruption, support the poor with economic programs and ensure individual liberty. The popular prime minister now must lead her party to victory in the upcoming parliamentary elections next year. —Chana Schoenberger

Forbes Magazine
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Yes man; as it was in the
    begining so shall it be in the end.

Mathew 27

27: Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the common hall, and gathered unto him the whole band of soldiers.
    28: And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe.
    29: And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!
    30: And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and smote him on the head.
    31: And after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him.
    32: And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross.
    33: And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say, a place of a skull,
    34: They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.
    35: And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.
    36: And sitting down they watched him there;
    37: And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
    38: Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left.
    39: And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads,
    40: And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.
    41: Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said,
    42: He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.
    43: He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.

Ras mi glad say yuh ah use yuh third eye an see what ah gwaan: Nanny P was the key to releasing the youth minds, Nanny P was the gate for JA to greatness. Had she owon they could no longer tell the poor and hungry that nothing is beyond them. We are now back to our hopless self with beliefs of self doubts. We are back to thinking that we are not smart enough to run the politics of our land (only a chosen few) We are now nation of doubters who lack hope. A great coach came here and saw us; he thought we could have shocked the world in the sport of football but he said we lack hope and belief in ourselves. Why? My people yesterday was a true testament as to why. We will never amount much in team sports because deep down we consider ourselves to be slaves. We will never build anything or make any engineering marvels because we believe it's beyond us and only few can do this.

They distract us and tell us of economies of other nation. Is china mentally free? Is Japan mentally free? Only when the mind is free can we worry about building an economy. The only thing we as Jakan should want free is our minds the rest would follow. Joshua started the process and we slept at the wheel, the few has plotted and decieved our children, now we have been plunged into darkness once more. Only a very few can see what really took place yesterday and it will be written in history years to come.

Nanny P you cannot help us; we are now blindfolded and being led to the slaughter. Concede and fret not for us because we will be chastised 100 years for this. It shows that we are still not as highly educated as we think and cannot give a full account of ourselves. It will take another hundred years before we try to free our minds once more. It is my hope that our grandchildren (your great great grandchildren will be better prepared).

Bless.

Comment

So she is Jesus now?

Sigh

Comment

That's what you got from
        it? Das why wi muss haffi suffa.

Comment

We see Nanny P as a
          dunce and an idiot.To the Western world powers, she is looked upon as a great leader. If we draw comparisons in terms of collective thought processes of Ja with that of N. America and western Europe, the answer will jump out at us. Bob marley was viewd as a "dutty bwoy" now years after his death his picture is all over the place with us trying to make money off him (that is after we found out that Europe and North america thought highly of Bob).

Garvey speeches explains our mentality and actions.

Comment

Das what you write.

Comment

iz 99 now?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I'm sure we can all find a scripture verse to applicably quote for every situation - even fi the one where Omar sell off we terminal space at Heathrow. But mi nuh have the time now to go search through the Bible.

I could start with the one - beware of false prophets
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

i cannot believe how jawge a carry on....and to a lesser extent shatta....karl pleasantly surprised me.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Ah wonder if him was promised a "position" in the Govt.?
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

How am I carrying on?

please provide specifics Gamma. Anyone can make accusatiions but in the end the FACTS win out as I am sure you know so please point me to where I am carrying on and tell me where I am wrong so that I can correct it.

After all I am not perfect and in the quest for knowledge one sometimes slip and fall but what we cannot do is stay down.

He who seeks knowledge begins with humility so please help me learn.

The man who knows that he knoweth not, really knows.

Comment

From the streets in Jamaica it seems violence is breaking out on the streets and Jamaica is on the verge of a full scale slave revolt depending on how this recount and constitutional challenges go.

hope that specific enough for you?

Comment

Working...
                        X