Downtown Kingston: Digging up history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downtown Kingston: Digging up history

The 1692 ‘Plan of Kingston’ laid out by John Goffe was an economic enterprise and business venture established by the Monarchy of England, Jamaica’s governor, privateers, pirates, buccaneers, and planters. As merchants, many of these persons held various overlapping and interchanging roles, for example, the infamous Henry Morgan knighted by the King was privateer, pirate, buccaneer, Jamaica’s governor (1675, 1678, also 1680), and planter of Clarendon. Morgan lived in the King’s House in Spanish Town but primarily resided at the royal port around which the town of Port Royal developed.

BLOCKED BY HUGE TRUCKS

Recently, visits to downtown Kingston have become tedious, where streets and lanes are blocked by huge trucks and excavator equipment, some driving opposite the one-way system. There are oversized pipes, and trenches where some are over six feet deep with certain roads impassable because of pipe-laying activities. In an urban environment over 300 years old, I ask myself, is the Jamaica National Heritage Trust undertaking archaeological heritage watch on these excavations? Interestingly, the works seem to be concentrated on Beeston Street, named after a former governor, and this street runs alongside both the JNHT and the Houses of Parliament.

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...ry-development
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Agree with this article. Jamaica/Jamaicans tend to pay little attention to preserving it's history.

I have seen cemeteries with grave stones dating early 1800's overgrown with bush. I can cite several other examples.

The same is not (so) true to our European counterparts. Those of you who have traveled will verify how important relics [of all sorts] are important to them......................
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Oh btw....was watching a documentary featuring Ken Booth. This outstanding singer has put together a great collection of memorabilia --in what appears to be a museum at his home. I was impressed!

I have a bad habit seeing things. I could be wrong; but I did not notice any water sprinkler systems in his museum. I hope I am wrong:
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Funny you should mention museum. I just visited the National Museum of African American Music in Nashville, Tennessee. It was a treasure trove of information on the development of black music. I think about our reggae and how we are failing to capitalize on its impact on the world. A National museum for reggae music is essential to preserving our history.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
        X