Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find workers

http://radiojamaicanewsonline.com/lo...ortage-says-pm

Jangle when we told them to train the youngsters them claim say a foolishness we a talk. This is a quicker way out of poverty. Most working in the hotel is making more than tellers, teachers and police. Them act like we fighting against, IT, AI, Robotics etc. No we just saw the need to get people in training in the short team to make their lives better.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Some people are just educated fools. If there is one thing I I've learnt since migrating to the "great" US of A, is that if I had known at the time of coming here, I should have gone done a course at a Boces to learn a trade instead of dressing up in tie and suit to work behind a computer. The beauty of the American system is that I see it as the great equalizer where a landscaper can be making as much money or even more than somebody working in an office and there is no stigma to his profession. In today's market, if you own a house and you need a pipe fixed or some form of carpentry work to be done, you had best go on to YouTube and watch a How To video or else you will be handing over your mortgage payment to one of these professionals.

Some people thought so highly of themselves that when anyone has a different opinion to theirs, they are considered idiots. Nothing is wrong with trying to advance Jamaica into the technological world, but I saw that as a slower and less practical means of bringing prosperity to the population. Jamaica has built a very solid foundation for the tourist industry since our independence which is far from reaching its full potential. I was in Puerto Plata, DR last week "wasting" money on trinkets, going to restaurants, riding age-old quads, spending a few hundred US dollars buying food at their local supermarkets, wasting money on AirBnB, and most rewardingly, giving all our local cash and US dollars that was left in our pockets to our driver for the week. Puerto Plata is the rustic and less developed part of DR, which reminds me of St. Mary or Portland. DR gets about 6 million tourists annually, almost on par with Bahamas. Jamaica, in recent years, is just reaching around 4.3 million annually. I've been to many of the Caribbean islands and stayed at their hotels and visited their attractions, and I can "objectively" say that Jamaica has so much more to offer. Mexico is the number one tourist destination for American tourists. Mexico gets over 20-odd million tourists annually.

Some people just look at tourism and the industry as employing hotel workers. Kingston and the eastern part of the island is woefully short of hotel rooms. Many Jamaicans think of hotels in the perspective of resorts with beach.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Been in the hills of Tennessee up at Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area and I tell you that is what I would like to see adapted in some town in Jamaica. The town of Gatlinburg is 1 mile long and it is all local shops providing everything from sweetie factories, food shops, flowers, local stuff etc. Tourist walking and buying. These are all small stores. Most of the businesses in the 15 mile radius are local owned and in the hillls there are no huge hotels. Just houses and villas you rent. Most catering for families. Now they maybe used as AirB&B. The attractions are mostly run by local companies and then there is Dollywood which is owned by Dolly Parton. Yes there is a lot of attractions in Jamaica.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

1. less practical means of bringing prosperity to the population.

You really believe tech is a less practical means of bringing prosperity to the Island , considering your position in # 2 ?

2.Jamaica has built a very solid foundation for the tourist industry since our independence which is far from reaching its full potential.

Exactly its 62 years of building that solid tourist foundation and all we have gotten out of it is negative growth, at best 1 % growth with each government specualting their term will bring the miraculous 5 % growth a year, in their term. When do you expect it to reach its potential,let me guess another 62 years

Kisssteeth and yuh waan know why people think unnu ead nuh good, stop blow smoke up yuh ass
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Ok Mr. Bright Spark, let's start with Jamaica's literacy rate. Right now it's at approximately 52%, which could be a false reading because of COVID. How many of that 52% has tertiary level education? Of the other 48% uneducated or under-educated population, how many are youths 25 years old and under? Let's go a little further, how many of that younger demographic is made up of unemployed males? Historically, what is the ratio of girls vs boys completing high school? The problem has always been with the young men. How are you going to get this large section of the population to go learn STEM to start the transformation of the economy, and what time frame do you expect to achieve that transformation? This is what I mean about your idea being impractical. During the 1930's, America came with the Big Deal by building the interstate road network which transformed the economy. A practical solution which employed millions.

Tourism has been one of major contributor to Jamaica's GDP over the years. The foundation is laid and it is undebatable that successive governments have not maximized its potential. However, with the renewed thrust for investments into the industry by this government, you can see the immediate and long-term benefits in employing many of the 48%, if you take out the party politics out of this debate.

Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

let me chime in. They also say crime is the main reason why Jamaican economy is stagnant. So is it crime or tourism? Imagine if no crime how tourism would have blossomed. Also the cost of technology courses are not cheap. Give the high schooler and the recent grads a chance to earn and continue their studies in Technology, Medicine etc. You give an ambitious Jamaican a chance to earn and they are going to either move up in the industry or move out into something more progressive of their choice. With Tourism comes infrastructure. With Infrastructure there is a greater chance that technology investment will come and demand for new technology will be even greater and create a demand for ingenuity and creativity and technology related workers. What government need to do is cut crime and provide the infrastructure, and cheaper housing and just make sure they don't sell out to the investors whether in tourism or technology. Tourism currently is a engine for farming, manufacturing, culture and technology in Jamaica.

Comment

To sum up you two gibberish , tourism has laid a foundation and has been and continues to be a major assest to Jamaicas economy, since its inndependence, that no one can deny. It can be and should be used to spring board other industries or tie into others. That does not mean it will continue to be the foundation of our economy or should be , the point is Jamaica has to diversify its economy into other assests that will lead it into the 22nd centrury. I just dont see the volume of workers ( employees) that can be filled as hotel managers that will put a dent in the social standard of living to form a middle class society ( Isnt that why yuh run leff it go forgein SASS) . Even the lower class , as maids, bartenders or house keepers , the volume isnt there. The proof is in the drove of migrants that leave the island , that result in a brain drian or as we see now a shortage in labour, where now we have to import labor to meet that lower standard.

Technology is a global trade or skill, that isnt dependent on location, as it is for tourism, it can with stand pandemics and migration, to boot it gaurantees a higher standard of living and the volume of workers needed is ever expanding to sustrain its astronomical fast paced growth.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

• Jangle
                Jangle commented
                Editing a comment
                Before you start arguing your point, answer the questions that I asked.

"How are you going to get this large section of the population to go learn STEM to start the transformation of the economy, and what time frame do you expect to achieve that transformation?"

Additionally, which tech related job/s, can the government invest in that will create the jobs that will get many of these unemployed and under-educated youths off the streets in the short term?

• Jangle
                Jangle commented
                Editing a comment
                These are the practical solutions that I am talking about. What policies that ANY government puts in place that will have long-term benefits.

Gov’t focused on expanding tertiary education

The Education and youth ministry is placing its focus on expanding the tertiary education sector, with options for students to access financing.

Portfolio minister Fayval Williams told JIS News that the objective is to ensure that a “higher percentage of our population is educated at higher levels”. She said statistics indicate that enrolment of students in tertiary institutions remains low relative to those who graduate from secondary school.

“We know that the limiting factor is generally financing, so we have earnestly worked, all during last year, to look at a higher-education policy and look at what kind of ideas we can come forward with on financing,” she said.

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...iary-education

1) Who on here every say we don't want Jamaica economy to diversify?
              2) Who on here say we shouldn't be a lot further in technology?
              3)Who on here say we don't believe in technology development and training?

The fact is we are saying it can't be tourism vs technology, it makes no sense. Build tourism and technology. I don't care what is one or two or three in terms of industry.
              The fact is Tourism growth goes hand in hand with modern technology.

Comment

Good, so we are on the same page, Stem mi say. I believe the issue is your utterances below

" This is a quicker way out of poverty. Most working in the hotel is making more than tellers, teachers and police. " .

This highlights our differences. The volume or pay just isnt there to build or sustain a middle class, tellers, tecahers ,police and unskilled labourers cant fill the tourist volume, hence the migration of jamaicans and importation of labor.

Comment

There is a book i need you to read called "Naked Economies" by Charles Wheelan. It would help you very much.

Comment

Major spending planned for upgrade of Airports

KINGSTON, Jamaica - More than US$200 million is to be spent between 2022 to 2025 for capital expenditure programmes at the nation’s international airports and aerodromes.

According to a release, the activities will be undertaken by the Airports Authority of Jamaica (AAJ), and MBJ Airports Limited and PAC Kingston Airports Limited (PACKAL), operators of the Sangster International Airport (SIA) and the Norman Manley International Airport (NMIA), respectively.

Some US$70 million is slated to be spent this financial year.

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/late...e-of-airports/

Comment

LOL!! Mi juss ah pass by den mi notice some foolishness from the confused set

1. Tourism is vitally important to JA's low wage economy. It should continue and expand as I've repeatedly stated... Tourism provides support and some opportunities for many, particularly low-skilled products of the Jamaican school shitstem

2. Because tourism mainly features low wage/low value-adding jobs with an extremely high FX leakage to buy foreign products and services to support tourists - only dummies would believe that tourism can lead JA to prosperity. That's the crux of the tourism story here

3. The issue is not tourism vs tech. JA doesn't have a "tech industry" of any note to compare with tourism. Why?? Because Jamaicans don't believe it's important so it's not a focal point of investment. Most Jamaicans believe tech is for "other people" while being very welcoming to activities like tourism which has failed for 70 years to drive a vibrant economy. It's much easier to just throw up buildings with rooms for rent than it is to create a large class of skilled technologists. Dat tek tuh much werk and time

Some expect building more hotels for low wage workers filled with imported products and services to change Jamaica's outcomes. Good luck wid dat

It's astonishing to me that this isn't clear by now. But I guess that's why God made dummies
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

"Ade a mi daddy".....waiting on "Likkle Ade"

Comment

While some do nothing but yap incoherently on the internet.... a few progressive folks make small but necessary steps forward... While dummies yap incoherently on the internet.... a few progressive folks make small but necessary steps forward...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyHh0VLkYMk
                          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                            LOL!! Mi juss ah pass by den mi notice some foolishness from the confused set

1. Tourism is vitally important to JA's low wage economy. It should continue and expand as I've repeatedly stated... Tourism provides support and some opportunities for many, particularly low-skilled products of the Jamaican school shitstem

2. Because tourism mainly features low wage/low value-adding jobs with an extremely high FX leakage to buy foreign products and services to support tourists - only dummies would believe that tourism can lead JA to prosperity. That's the crux of the tourism story here

3. The issue is not tourism vs tech. JA doesn't have a "tech industry" of any note to compare with tourism. Why?? Because Jamaicans don't believe it's important so it's not a focal point of investment. Most Jamaicans believe tech is for "other people" while being very welcoming to activities like tourism which has failed for 70 years to drive a vibrant economy. It's much easier to just throw up buildings with rooms for rent than it is to create a large class of skilled technologists. Dat tek tuh much werk and time

Some expect building more hotels for low wage workers filled with imported products and services to change Jamaica's outcomes. Good luck wid dat

It's astonishing to me that this isn't clear by now. But I guess that's why God made dummies

Agree with Don 1 on this. We need to find a way to drive technology and reap from it.

Comment

Working...
                            X