• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess the tourism salaries

Can't build the economy.

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news...but-no-takers/
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

To reinterate!

They are complaining that based on the salaries that they are getting from some of the hotels, it is going back into lunch money and into bus fare," Heaven said.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

It's easier to beg money from relatives a fareen and rob working people than to take a low paying job.....any job
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Suh , yuh expect people fi work fi lunch money and bus fare and cant pay dem rent, or feed dem pickney, send dem guh school for the fun of it ?. You would rather blame the victims than deal with the reality that tourism is largely a low paying, low skilled workforce. If the salaries not matching the jobs, you should look at other practical reasons, like the incoming revenue isnt there to support a livable wage, which implies the tourism market is weak.

Comment

How much you work your first job? You expect people without experience to get how much. These are entry level jobs done with HEART. How much people get for entry level jobs?

These seems to be smaller hotels who trying to keep their business afloat trying to get some workers as they can't have the same thing as the big hotels and cruise ship do where people a climb over each other to get employment.

http://web3.jamaica-gleaner.com/arti...ttend-job-fair

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/late...hotel-workers/
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

How much experience yuh need fi serve a drink, spread a bed and clean toilet.. Yuh think after 5 years dem salary a guh pass minimum wage.

"The course is a three-day course. It is meant to be a crash course and the individuals may not have the time, the transportation cost, so it's meant to be a blitz to get them up to the first rung of the ladder."

Comment

Same thing for some people starting out as electricians, IT personnel etc. Most waiter in hotel work more than a bank clerk and and many other jobs in Jamaica. Don't be fooled.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

A hear yuh Dem soon start mek a decent salary , in 30 years Dem soon buy dem studio.

Comment

A guess you never had a first job, you started working your 100k a year.

Comment

Dude thats not a job , thats a life sentence in poverty . Something is off with you, you cant be so dense that you cant put two and two together, unless you believe like Jangle, poor people would rather beg and rob.

Comment

You are a freaking idiot. You know how many managers, doctors, and so many other professional started out with small jobs and work their way? Not everybody is like you that born rich. My good friend started at Sandals as a concierge and today he is the top reservationist with them. He tried to leave a few times and each time them give him a life adjustment. They paid for all his studies. You haven't a clue. To get a start even at Mcdonalds is not a life sentence in poverty unless you make it that.

Comment

It seems I touched a nerve , anamolies don't count , tell me how many that didn't move up or are stuck, how many dropped out , how many still living in poverty.

Comment

if you don't mind. What was your first job? How much did you make? Could you live off that? Did you take responsibility and make yourself more marketable?

Comment

174% jump in UK visitor room nights sold in Jamaica over 2019

BRITISH Airways Holidays told Jamaica's senior tourism officials at the World Travel Market in London on Monday that the entity has sold more than 15,800 room nights for their British customers coming to Jamaica this year, nearly triple what they sold in pre-pandemic 2019, which was just under 5,800 room nights.

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news...h1jJrACZSTbuT0

The hotel management better learn how fi mek up beds and do laundry.
                            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

The issue is a livable wage to provide for family , not self and it impacts the economy to grow the middle class. My situation allowed me to do that . Tourism in Jamaica isnt the panacea for that . The proof is since independence, and with all these multibillion dollar forgein investment in that sector , it isn't Jamaica's saviour . Jamaica discovered it's self in COVID , in that other sectors need to be developed for the economy to grow.

Tourism has proven, it does not grow the middle class or the economy ,it has grown the lower middle class.
                              Last edited by Sir X; November 10, 2022, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X