X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• | Time to move on from tourism dependency

Identity revealed:

THE EDITOR, Madam:

For decades, Jamaica has relied heavily on tourism as its primary source of income, drawing in millions of visitors each year to our lush beaches and vibrant culture. However, as the country looks to chart a new course for economic growth, it is increasingly evident that it is time for Jamaica to move past tourism as its main export.

The tourism industry is no stranger to ethical contention, but, for modern Jamaica, it may be particularly problematic. This island has long struggled with the lingering effects of centuries of exploitation and oppression under British rule. After 60 years of colonial independence, we like to believe ourselves to be a strong and self-determining people.

But, have we really changed?

Forced and indentured servitude has now become low-paid servitude. Foreign visitors, not rulers, are now entitled to the best of our food and the best of our land. All this while wealth disparity widens, and the only obvious solution for those who are needy is to continue to serve.

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...ism-dependency
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

I wonder how the writer views tourism in France, Spain, the Maldives, Mexico....etc?

His servitude Outlook is understandable ...but kinda weak imo.

His solutions are fair...but should go into more practical details.....

Right now Jamaica would be a rough place without tourism

The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Jamaica don't need to move away from tourism but to develop other streams. You notice the writer has not one solid suggestion?
      The fact is we need to continue grow tourism, use it to grow manufacturing, farming and financial industries. Once our company are at a certain standard then they can join the JP, Grace, etc and grow internationally. Then we must look to other streams as light engineering, IT, and other growth area that doesn't require a layout of Billions in capital and ROI on investment will make a difference.

We need to have at least 4 cylinders firing in the economy engine. Growing the other only enchance tourism and will not reduce it in any way. That is the pity that these writers etc can't see. HL question for you, Why you think Saudia Arabia fight for the World Cup? Don't they have oil that can's spoil? Why Trinidad wish they had some form of tourism growth?

Other than tourism what is our next dependence? Remittance? Bauxite? Can we depend on those????
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

• HL
        HL commented
        Editing a comment
        Let me say the United Emirates . Their bid to host the WC was to demonstrate that they too have something to offer. And this is tourism.

I am positive that lots and lots of other people at the WC...are planning to re visit this part of the world . I surely will be going back for a proper vacation.

Sidebar: one of the most difficult job is customer service. Maybe 50% of Tourism is customer service.

Lots of training is required to provide good customer service. ............

Many of these “intellectual” critics of Jamaican tourism are Jamaicans who have left Jamaica and are living overseas in first world countries. They argue from a position of snobbery. There is the fallacy in their argument about foreigners owning the hotels and sending their profits overseas. The bauxite companies were doing that for eons. The fact is without a surplus of essential mineral deposits that is in high demand, then Jamaica has to utilize its other natural resources which are its geographical location, its people, its culture, its food and its music, to advance and carve out its niche in the world.

Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
      X