Taking NIDS to court ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking NIDS to court ...

"We plan to go to court over the National Identification Bill because we are not leaving it so!" Phillips announced at the meeting, without giving specifics.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...ake-nids-court

Do they intend to get a decision or do they intend to hide it in the courts like they did with Trafiguria?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Desperate.. why they fighting against progress

Comment

How is this progress?

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
        How is this progress?
        A national id system isn't a move forward?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

you know how many criminals in Ja, only name "Pucku" and "Bull bull" etc? have no proper ids.

When you doing business now you can request the national ID and not guess if the ID or nickname you have is fake. Everybody who get bollo work needs to give their ID and it will also stop fake workers from collecting pay, like for dead people.

Willi this is past overdue and while there maybe some issues with security and it needs to be good but even US and others have breach once in a while.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

imagine switzerland without a formal id

Comment

It is a move forward and something that is needed.

That doesn’t mean that the implementation of some aspects should not be questioned and challenged, and an ongoing public debate shouldn’t take place. That is how a democratic society should work. Let’s hear all arguments and decide what makes sense and what is nonsense.

It’s not just the opposition that has concerns with some aspects of the plan.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

What are the concerns of the opposition? I haven't heard one good reason why from them.

They need to come with good reasoning and good pointers. Not just politics as usual.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

There are a number of legitimate concerns in my opinion.

First of all is the type of information being captured which includes biometric data. Who will have access to it? What will the govt be allowed to use it for other than criminal forensic work?

Then there is the associated fines, up to $100,000 if you don’t register I believe. Some think these are too high and others think it should be phased in more slowly , with the exception of certain groups such as those arrested and/or charged who should be registered immediately.

There are also some questions about the cost of the implementation given that funds are being borrowed to pay for it. Is US $70 million a reasonable figure for such a system in a country our size or not? I don’t know but I would like to hear from those who claim that they do.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                    There are a number of legitimate concerns in my opinion.

First of all is the type of information being captured which includes biometric data. Who will have access to it? What will the govt be allowed to use it for other than criminal forensic work?

Then there is the associated fines, up to $100,000 if you don’t register I believe. Some think these are too high and others think it should be phased in more slowly , with the exception of certain groups such as those arrested and/or charged who should be registered immediately.

There are also some questions about the cost of the implementation given that funds are being borrowed to pay for it. Is US $70 million a reasonable figure for such a system in a country our size or not? I don’t know but I would like to hear from those who claim that they do.
                    Islandman, even though the claim is there was no consultation, the claim that they are taking all this biometric data is not true. It is my understanding that the group that reps the disabled made the recommendations since not all have fingerprints to give, visually impaired have no eye scan to give etc. KD Knight was slick during the senate when he said "fingerprint, eye scan, toe print.." he purposefully left out the "or".

Regarding, the $100,000 again this will not kick in until after there is a 75% enrollment in the system. However, what purpose would there be to allow this to be optional? Don't we all live in a country where the powers that be can identify us before we finish ****ing"? I am of the view allowing this to be optional would defeat the purpose of the system. I recall listening to Cliff Hughes last year, a man called in laughing how police pulled up on a group of them on the corner, holding onto one asking for (let me use Jimmy as I don't recall the exact name). According to the caller, it is clear the police had a description of who they were looking for. The one they held onto said his name isn't Jimmy, him name John, and the police released him and left. What was the caller laughing about, the man they released was the Jimmy they were looking for. As a country we do need a means to identify the citizens. Most agree that it is needed but is looking for any reason to stop it.

Comment

Let's deal with the claims.

The PNP were the ones who who put the loan and loan amount in progress so they have no complains. I can understand that other groups have concerns about the loan but not the current PNP.

There is always concern about data collection by government. As the government said they are currently using same data that is currently been collected for passport etc. Yes this should be talked about but there is no reason why it should stop the trial and no reason why it can't be amended in the next few months. Where is all the passport data stored? There is always concern about privacy and data security which have to be addressed but you and I know that there is always a possibility of having an hack.

The fine can be discussed but up to 100,000 don't really mean much as what are the basic fines? however fines should deter people and everybody should have an ID. If a crime is committed and the police have a suspect and he/she has no id, don't you suggest they should be fined heavily? Too many gangsters have no ids or fake ids.

Are these enough reasons to have this wait another 5 years.

http://opm.gov.jm/portfolios/nationa...cation-system/
                      Last edited by Assasin; March 4, 2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Switzerland does not demand invasive biometric data to put in public database that gets hacked often.

Yuh trust any GOJ to safeguard data?

Comment

Once in a while?

Hahahahahahah

Comment

Just cause PNP is hypocritical means I must support nonsense.

I invite you all to go register and put yuh biometrics in the curropt hands of the GOJ apparatus. Mi naah dweet.

Comment

Remember...WHEN , not if, the beknighted PNP gets back into power, they will have this apparatus under their full control. Yuh bawl that you dont trust them, so what uyh gonna do, what yuh gonna do when "they" come for you?

Steeeuuups.

Unno recall Omar vindictiveness? Yuh just hand over unprecedented power to a future Omar.

What Holness dem get promised to run this guinea pig scheme pon Jamaica?

National ID can be done over a longer time frame and less invasively.

Comment

Working...
                              X