If Portia fails.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Portia fails.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>If Portia fails.</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Henley Morgan
    Thursday, September 14, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=88 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Henley Morgan</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>The political fortunes of Portia Simpson Miller since taking on the mantle of prime minister mirror those of another woman head of state, Michelle Bachelet of Chile. At the end of her first 100 days as president, Ms Bachelet's approval rating had lost almost 10 percentage points.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Interestingly, while the Chilean president's approval rating is still running comfortably over 50 per cent, support for her Cabinet has plummeted. According to a recent poll, 74 per cent of Chileans think there should be a reshuffle. A similar analysis by our local Stone Poll team may have helped explain why the prime minister's personal popularity is not translating to a wider margin of support for the PNP over the JLP.<P class=StoryText align=justify>As with Ms Bachelet, political pundits and opinion makers may be too quick in throwing in the towel on Mrs Portia Simpson Miller's prospects as a leader. Whatever else one can say about a political leader's first 100 days in office, it is not rational for people who wholeheartedly supported the leader during the campaigning to have a complete change of opinion after so short a period of time. I am cautious about being too easily swayed by such persons in any discussion concerning the performance of a woman in what is widely thought to be a man's job. Such debates are usually governed by a strong dose of male chauvinism and negative stereotyping of women.<P class=StoryText align=justify>I would like to see a pollster measure how many parents prefer to have a boy rather than a girl baby. I will wager a bet that in Jamaica boys are preferred by a factor of three to one. The reason for this is simple. Boys are seen as a greater blessing because of the prospect of them being better providers for their parents in their old age.<P class=StoryText align=justify>This long-held but discredited myth of male superiority in economic matters carries over into our choice of business leaders. Women account for only seven per cent of directors on the world's corporate boards. In Jamaica, the situation is especially worrisome. Although women make up 51.2 per cent of the population, over 35 per cent of the labour force and close to 70 per cent of university graduates, half of the listed companies on the Jamaica Stock Exchange have no more than one director belonging to that gender.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The myths and prejudices that make women have to be twice as good as men just to be considered their equal extend to almost every area of leadership, including prime minister.
    This bias is out of line with modern research findings on the attributes required for leadership in our globalised and complex world. Daniel Coleman of Emotional Intelligence fame, writing in a Harvard Business Review article entitled, Leadership That Gets Results, and Robert Goffe and Gareth Jonas in another entitled, Why Should Anyone Be Led By You?, explore this fascinating subject.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Based on their study of inspirational leaders from various cultures, they came to the following conclusions: 1) Inspirational leaders are not afraid to reveal and even admit to weaknesses. Appearing vulnerable has proved effective in building solidarity with followers who want to see the leader as human just like they are. 2) Inspirational leaders are good at sensing shifts in climate, emotions and the dynamics of a situation. They are good at projecting how far they
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: If Portia fails.

Karl (9/18/2006)Whatever else one can say about a political leader's first 100 days in office, it is not rational for people who wholeheartedly supported the leader during the campaigning to have a complete change of opinion after so short a period of time
    Why people act like this? No one is saying we should be seeing results since Portia took office ... thats not practical ... what we want to see is Portia implementing her ideas in order to correct the mess. Has she? If I miss it .. point it out to me.

Is last evening some family members and I weretalking about the new mayor of Newark. They complain he is all talk and not doing nothing, but they have glowing reviews of Portia. Yet when me ask what has she implemented dem waan guh round the question. The funny thing is during our conversation a news item came on the TV about the new mayor's Safe School Initiative.

So far all Portia has done is indicate she will be going into the NHT and NIF funds again. I find it strange how people nuh have a problem with that. Oh yes ... as mi tell Jawge, Jamaicans think a political party is more important than their well being.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

[quote]Lazie (9/19/2006)
      Karl (9/18/2006)

So far all Portia has done is indicate she will be going into the NHT and NIF funds again. I find it strange how people nuh have a problem with that.
      Did she do anything positive or are the funds earmarked for anything that will have a positive effect on the lives of our people? If the answer is "yes", has Portia done 'something'?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Anything Portia duh you, Jawge and the other worshippers will see it as positive. When President Bush wanted to mess with social security did you see it as positive? Why must you be so hypocritical Karl? Oh mi figet .. Bush isn't PNP.

People who are fortunate enough to work in Jamaica are robbed of portions of their earnings which is called NHT contributions. Most of the people who involuntarily 'contribute' to the fund does not qualify for an NHT loan,yet the fund is being raided to lock up votes? Is that the purpose of the NHT? Yet some banker talking about getting Jamaicans overseas to contribute to the NHT? Dem ppl yah cyaan real.

Since when is it the responsibility of any PM to provide toilets for voters? Portia nuh see that what she need to duh is open the way for jobs to be created suh people can earn and put in dem own toilets, instead of raiding the NHT and NIF funds to provide the same for her constituents. Mek mi stop, because you and the other worshippers will not understand that.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie (9/19/2006)Anything Portia duh you, Jawge and the other worshippers will see it as positive. When President Bush wanted to mess with social security did you see it as positive? Why must you be so hypocritical Karl? Oh mi figet .. Bush isn't PNP.
          How can you equate what Portia does with some of the NHT funds with a dismantling of and killing of the US Social Security system?

It cannot be equated!

That is one of theproblems you have...not being able to differentiate. You also havea problem understanding that running a country is a very complex task. With action such as your call forfixing every damn thing wrong comes thematter offinding the funds to carry out the fixes.You give no thought to "the how" of getting the fixes done. You just "want it"/want fixes - NOW! I would bet you do not/could notrun your "ship" that way? You spout the same 'thing' as Bruce Golding - I will fix everything and or the PNP must fix everything - You both claim you would lower all taxes - direct and indirect, and at the same time fix everything and give all civil servants and employees of quasi-government bodies tremendous salary increases.Let us hear your "the how"?Everyone knows what needs fixing!

Comment

Religion tends to cloud one's judgement. Don't try to be slick ... I was comparing the NIF and the Social Security. Mi know yuh nuh that slow.

You hear me say me ago lower tax? Gosh Karl ... what powers do I have to lower taxes? I guess yuh just throwing up smoke screens. Again, where you see Lazie say things must be fixed now? Guh back guh read my first response in this thread.

What is the purpose of the NHT again? Is it to provide housing for party loyalists (be it JLP or PNP)?

As mi say, religion tend to cloud unuh judgement ... especially the religious fanatics.

Comment

Working...
            X