• Show
Clear All

• Misuse of PM's powers

<DIV id=printReady>

Misuse of PM's powers
    published: Wednesday | September 20, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Delroy Chuck

Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller must be carefully watched and con-trolled. The enormous powers vested in her can be easily misused and abused, which is one of the great weaknesses of our constitutional arrangement. The PM feels that one of her duties is to use the powers of her office to funnel scarce resources to fix her constituency, which she alleges could not be done before. Where does that leave the other 59 Members of Parliament?

When the PM asserts, as reported, that: "I have now gotten the chance and I'm going to do whatever I can do for South West St. Andrew; I now don't have to beg that things are done. Now I instruct that things are done," as a Member of Parliament, I think this is a frightening develop-ment. I have no doubt that Ministers do use their offices to assist their constituencies but for the PM to openly express her intention to divert the nation's resources to her constituency smacks of dictatorial governance. Poor, poor, Opposition MPs, how do they survive?

Lamentation

In truth, Prime Minister Simpson Miller was merely lamenting her failure as a parliamentary represen-tative and her failure to lift her constituency from the bowels of grime, idleness and poverty. If the PM is correct, should the remaining 59 MPs wait until they become PM to do something for their consti-tuencies? And, what about other constituencies, such as Central Kingston, which suffer from similar deprivation, deficiency and dreadful hardships as South West St. Andrew? When will this PNP administration ever learn that government handouts and distribution of largesse ultimately aggravate instead of reduce poverty, unemployment and mendicancy? The people of South West St. Andrew and Jamaica want employment and opportunities to improve their lives, instead of reliance and dependence on politicians.

Actually, on Sunday, I walked a fair amount of Central Kingston, along with Bruce Golding and a JLP team. And, oh my God, I never realised that Kingston had sunk to such low levels. On Tower Street, in the vicinity of the General Peni-tentiary, rubbish and sewage overflow on the sidewalks and streets. Behind the Ministry of Finance, where I attended St. Matthew's Church, the roads are a total disgrace and most of the tenement yards have seen much better days. How could a consti-tuency that has perennially voted for the PNP be so abandoned, neglected and denied?

At the same time, compare what Edward Seaga, Andrew Holness, other JLP MPs, and even myself have achieved while we are in Opposition. Edward Seaga used JSIF and private funds to build a beautiful Denham Town community centre. Andrew Holness built a wonderful com-munity educational edifice where residents can improve their skills, inclusive of computer classes and HEART training. In North East St. Andrew, so much has been achieved. We have removed many zinc fences and replaced them with concrete walls, built sidewalks on Liguanea Avenue, Upper Waterloo Road, Acadia, and within the inner-city communities. Where some residents hitherto bathed in the open, bathroom facilities have been built to provide privacy and, throughout the innercities of NE St. Andrew, enough toilet facilities have been provided during the past five or so years.

Imaginative planning needed

Only recently, I successfully appealed to JSIF to replace community mud paths with attractive asphalted roads, for inner-city residents to enter and leave their homes without having to walk through slippery mud pools or face dust bowls - this idea, with funds from the World Bank, is likely
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Misuse of PM's powers

Where is the mis-use?

All MPs receive 'government funds' to be used in their constituencies.Why shouldn't all the MPs be watched if being in position to 'fix things' intheir constituencies with 'government funds' is within their control?

...or, is Chuck suggesting that as PM Mrs. Simpson-Miller will have greater ability to 'fix things' in her constituency than the other MPs that being in such favoured positionis somehow unfair andthe PM therefore bears watching? If Chuck's thinking is followed then it must end with the stated position that the MPs with less ability to influence inprovements in their constituencies must also be watched and the strictures placed on them when it comes to using 'the people's money' should be just as 'heavy' as that placed on the PM.Chuck should be saying if he believes in what he is saying, andif he is an honest person,that all MPs "must be watched and controlled" not just PM Simpson-Miller. He should eb saying that hisJLP MPs must be watched and controlled just as the PNP MPs must be watched and controlled?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Where is that emoticon thats rolling and laughing? Its needed. Karl, you always seem to out do your previous performance.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

And this years Colin Campbell/Dennis Morrison award for obfuscation goes to Karl !

Why yuh don't come back and put your skills to better effect.. you should be the Minister of Information.

Comment

Working...
        X