X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hernan Dario Gomez takes Guatemala Job

Gomez ready for Guatemala

(FIFA.com) 08 Aug 2006

Hernan Dario Gomez burst onto the global footballing scene with the new millennium still in its infancy, the Colombian-born coach's refreshing brand of free-flowing, attacking football helping Ecuador reach their first-ever FIFA World Cup finals in style.
    Five years on from that historic achievement, the 50-year-old strategist is determined to repeat the feat with new side Guatemala. El Bolillo took time out from his busy schedule to chat exclusively to FIFA.com about the current state of Colombian football, former side Ecuador's performances at Germany 2006, and his bid to take the Chapines to South Africa 2010. "My goals have not changed," revealed the well-respected strategist.

FIFA.com: What made you take the Guatemala job?
    Hernan Dario Gomez: I've not accepted any offers for a while because I was always put up against three, four or even five other coaches. However, when the President of the (Guatemalan Football) Federation called me he said that he wasn't just looking for any old coach, he wanted me. That proved to me that he knows what he wants and is willing to go all out to get it. I signed a long-term contract and we've already started work.

At one point you were linked with the Colombian national team post. Was there any truth in the rumours?
    Yes, I spoke to nearly all the executives (at the Colombian Football Federation), but I felt that Guatemala's offer was better for me - it was more clearly defined and more professional. Over in Colombia, they still haven't decided what they're really looking for and that makes things very difficult.

Prior to your appointment, Ecuador had never previously qualified for the FIFA World Cup finals. What other similarities are there between that situation and your new job with Guatemala?
    Both countries speak the same language, I've been asked the same questions and the goal is the same. We came here without knowing what to expect and have encountered all kinds of people, from those who don't have any faith in this team to those who think that "El Bolillo will sort everything out". It feels like I've gone back in time and I'm living my early days with Ecuador all over again! We're up for the challenge, but it's scary too! (Laughs). Fortunately, (Ramon) Maradiaga did a great job.

You do not often see a coach heaping praise on his predecessor…
    Yes, that's true. I know what usually happens (laughs again) but you have to be honest: Maradiaga did a first-class job and that makes everything much easier. He has left us a solid base upon which to build. From this point onwards, some players will inevitably leave the squad while others come in to replace them. That's why we're currently busy observing the players and carrying out the selection process.

Why do you think that the CONCACAF nations failed to shine at Germany 2006?
    We lost out against the European sides. The teams that enjoyed most success at this World Cup were those with the highest degree of tactical discipline, especially in defensive areas. Why do you think (Zinedine) Zidane played so well in Germany? Because every time he lifted his head up he had (Frank) Ribery, (Florent) Malouda or (Thierry) Henry to link up with. When such talented players are moulded into a well-organised unit with plenty of passing options, it can really make the difference.

What did you make of Ecuador's performance?
    They made history by qualifying for the next round, despite the regrettable decision not to take the game with Germany seriously. I'd say that they were happy just to have made it through to the last sixteen but they should have played differently against the Germans. They could have beaten England, but it wasn't to be. There wasn't much difference from what we achieved in 2002: back then we beat Croatia and this year the team beat Poland. The only difference is that we lost to Mexico and this time around Ecuador beat Costa Rica, who were cle
    President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

RE: Hernan Dario Gomez takes Guatemala Job

Rumor has it that Costa Rica is trying to bring in Luxemburgo to replace the fired Guimareas
    President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

RE: Hernan Dario Gomez takes Guatemala Job

Suh US & Mexico have professional leagues miles ahead of our own...

Aside: Now every summer those two leagues have interaction with top of the world clubs!

Costa Ricavisits the World Cup ...we could now say, every year!

Panama gave us the KO!

Trinidad and Tobago feeling there oats!

Now Guatemala makes a big push!

...Bwoy?I wonder...would Jack get FIFA to give CONCACAF a 7th place? With theJFF administrationweneed that 7th place!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
      X