Eltham, JC square off in Walker KO final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eltham, JC square off in Walker KO final

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Eltham, JC square off in Walker KO final</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>BY KAYON RAYNOR Observer staff reporter
    Friday, October 27, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>HAVING never won the Corporate Area schoolboy Walker Cup Knock-out football competition, first-time finalists Eltham High will square off against Jamaica College (JC) in this afternoon's championship decider at the National Stadium, starting at 3:00. Both teams also contested the Grace Shield cricket final earlier this year, which Eltham won.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=130 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Daley. away on national duties</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Eltham progressed to today's championship game by upsetting pre-season favourites and defending Manning Cup Champions Calabar 3-2 in semi-final one on Tuesday.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Coach Gregory Allen told the Observer that he is not underestimating JC, who are seasoned campaigners.
    "We know it is going to be a challenging one tomorrow (today) owing to the fact that you're talking about a traditional high school coming into the final. I just need to get my guys prepared and expect good things from them," Allen said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I've only seen Jamaica College play once and what I've seen, JC is a quality team and whenever you go up against quality teams you just have to make sure that you put your right foot forward and once that is done, you can expect a good result," Allen said.
    Despite being the most successful team in Corporate Area schoolboy football, winning the Manning Cup crown on 19 occasions, JC have never won the Walker Cup Knock-out title even though they have been to six finals (1961, '62, '74, '75, '89 and '93).<P class=StoryText align=justify>The 'Dark Blues', who needed penalties to beat Charlie Smith 4-2 after playing to a 0-0 draw after regulation and extra time in the second semi-final on Tuesday, will again be without ace playmaker Kaemmar Daley, who is currently on national duty in Haiti.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Asked if his charges will be under pressure to deliver, coach Alfred 'Freddy' Henry told the Observer that there is "no pressure whatsoever... I just want the guys to play some good football, enjoy themselves and whatever the result is, we just have to work with it."<P class=StoryText align=justify><P class=StoryText align=justify>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X