• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grange Hill, Negril score big at awards function

Grange Hill, Negril score big at awards function

published: Monday | August 14, 2006

Adrian Frater, News Editor

Everton Tomlinson (left), president of the WFA and chairman of the JFF Western Confederation, and Wayne Saulter (right), financial controller of The Captain's Bakery, present The Captain's Bakery Western Confederation Trophy to Derval Frazier, the captain of Negril F.C., at Thursday night's end-of-season presentation ceremony in Savanna-la-Mar. - photo by Adrian Frater

Western Bureau:

Grange Hill F.C. and Negril F.C., which emerged champions of the 2006 Captain's Bakery-sponsored Westmoreland FA Major League and JFF Western Confe-deration Super League respectively, were the toast of Thursday night's end of season presentation ceremony in Savanna-la-Mar.

Negril FC's impressive haul of trophies and cash incentives included the Captain's Bakery Super League Trophy, the $100,000 first prize money, the first end-of-round trophy, the Top Defender Andre Walker, Most Valuable Player Howard Phillips, Top Goalkeeper Lamont McIntosh and Top Coach Junior Francis awards.

Grange Hill took home the Captain's Bakery Major League Trophy, the $100,000 championship cheque, the first and second end-of-round trophies, Top Goalscorer Shawn Cooper, Top Defender Ryan Gayle, Top Goalkeeper Wayne Perry, Most Valuable Player Leaford Pearce and Top Coach Carl Palmer awards.

In his address to the teams and specially invited guests, which included representatives of the sponsors and members of the political directorate in Westmoreland, Everton Tomlinson, the president of the Westmoreland Football Association (WFA) and chairman of Western Confederation, was full of praise for the Captain's Bakery and its CEO, Captain Horace Burrell.

Gift from God

"Captain Burrell is a gift from God," said Tomlinson. "His incredible contribution has made a big difference to football in western Jamaica and there is no limit to our gratitude to him."

Tomlinson also used the occasion to champion the cause of the Westmoreland FA's Youth Football Development Programme, which was started five years ago.

According to him, the recent daCosta Cup Championship success of Frome Technical High School and reigning champions Godfrey Stewart were as a result of the programme.

In addition to the awards to the successful teams, a number of special awards were handed out. Referee Clifference Daley and Delroy Harding were awarded the Top Referee and Top Assistant Referee in the Western Confederation, while referee Ian Myles and assistant referee Preston Davis took the honours for the WFA.

LIFE BAN EASED

In a moving gesture, Tomlinson announced the lifting of a life ban that was placed on former parish administrator Windell Dawson, who is now confined to a wheelchair after a major accident. Dawson was also presented with a special plaque for his contribution to Westmoreland's football.

Amid the pomp and pageantry of the colourful presentation, businessman Russell Hammond, one of several persons who brought greetings, used the opportunity to raise his concerns about the escalating crime in Savanna-la-Mar. He asked the WFA and the footballers to use their influence to help restore peace to the community.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

RE: Grange Hill, Negril score big at awards function

How sickko never tell we bout the gift from god

Don't make HL read this at all, him nah go work fi the rest of the day.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I guess after Eva asked us to give him our 'divided attention' things got a bit blurred after that.:P

I guess this is why people like RF call me a Boxhill sell out as I dont report drivel like this- he he he...

I cant recall the Goft from God part but I do have my tape and will go back and listen to it..but I did hearhim call Burrell The Godfather.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Assasin mi bredrin, mi mouth drop when a read yuh post.

Boxhill and his associates (supporters incl.) are the biggest liabilities Jamaican football has ever seen.

As for Scikko and Mosiah (two supporters)...a leff dem to Feggae-fan. He has been doing a fantastic job of exposing them to the SUN
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Ever heard of democracy and freedom of expression...look how many of you voted for George Bush?
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
          X