• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LETTER OF THE DAY - Money is now the great equaliser

LETTER OF THE DAY - Money is now the great equaliser
    published: Monday | August 14, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

THE EDITOR, Sir:

There used to be a time when education was the standard by which most people were measured and that was the preferred choice and vehicle for upward and social mobility. Now it seems that class and status in our present liberalised Jamaican society, depends largely on the width and depth of one's proverbial pocket. Money in the pocket provides most of us with a sense of success, power, accomplishment and ownership of anything that can be bought.

There is a visible and almost shameless interest in acquiring material things rather than investing in education and educational enhancements. Even though this is not a normal trait for a developing country, it is an unfortunate characteristic of the existing Jamaican culture. Many of those with and without the legitimate wherewithal to earn money honestly, have become rapacious plunderers using either their pens or swords (guns/knives) as the preferred tool of trade to empower themselves. One only has to pause fleetingly and estimate the quantity of money being 'spirited away' through tax avoidance, fraud, contract overruns, and every other conceivable act of cronyism and criminal misdemeanour used to enrich oneself.

Our concept of the proper standard of living depends not on what we own and have worked for, but to a great extent on what the neighbours have and how we measure ourselves against them. There seems to be a great urgency to out-do and out-spend some of the already established from the 'old-money class'. Quite likely, some of the 'new-money class' obviously suffer from status anxieties oftentimes demonstrated through an aggressive reaching out for recognition of their money-acquired prestige. Nowhere is the behaviour of the new moneyed class more intimidating, revolting and vulgar than on the roads behind their high-priced steering wheels.

Mango trail

I recently had the misfortune of travelling behind a fancy Mercedez when one of its occupants bought a basin-full of mangoes from a vendor in the vicinity of the Flat Bridge. Had I not known my way out of St. Catherine, I could have followed the trail of mango skin being thrown through the car windows all the way across town and into the parish of St. Ann.

Money is now the great equaliser, allowing especially the men to have it all, including more earrings, more cellphones, and 'nuff' gal thrown in for good measure. This perceived equality regrettably cannot reflect any sameness in class or importance, but it does imply a regard and expectation for consideration as being worthy and deserving of respect. It is a great pity that some of those with their new-found wealth cannot endow themselves with a little pride, good manners, self respect and self actualisation, the ultimate status of accomplishing everything that one is capable of becoming.

I am, etc.,

SONIA CHRISTIE

Stewart Town

Trelawny
    </DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: LETTER OF THE DAY - Money is now the great equaliser

Money is now the great equaliser, allowing especially the men to have it all, including more earrings, more cellphones, and 'nuff' gal thrown in for good measure. This perceived equality regrettably cannot reflect any sameness in class or importance, but it does imply a regard and expectation for consideration as being worthy and deserving of respect. It is a great pity that some of those with their new-found wealth cannot endow themselves with a little pride, good manners, self respect and self actualisation, the ultimate status of accomplishing everything that one is capable of becoming.

Well, Sonia - you have certainly summed it up nicely. Fo some of them really thing they have "arrived." But old timers have a saying "clothes don't make the man." Wondered many times what they meant. But now I think I know.

Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
    X