Ex-Jamaican Simpson, the most unlikely Bahraini, eyes Asian gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Jamaican Simpson, the most unlikely Bahraini, eyes Asian gold

<SPAN class=headlines>Ex-Jamaican Simpson, the most unlikely Bahraini, eyes Asian gold</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=stories>(AFP)

9 December 2006 </SPAN>

DOHA - The Gulf state of Bahrain has taken the globalisation of athletics to a new dimension, recruiting runners for its track team from Ethiopia, Morocco and Kenya.

<SPAN class=wcfont><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">But its latest recruit comes in the form of the 25-year-old US-born 400m runner Brandon Simpson, who won three world relay medals for Jamaica as well as finishing fifth in the Athens Olympics individual 400m final.<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o></o></SPAN><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Born in Florida, Simpson returned to Jamaica for high school but later graduated from the Texas Christian University in the United States.<o></o></SPAN><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">He elected to first run for the Caribbean island, however, and with no small success - winning a silver and two bronzes with the Jamaican 4x400m relay squad in the last three world championships.<o></o></SPAN><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">But he was released by the Jamaican Athletics Federation on his demand and became eligible to represent Bahrain on September 29.<o></o></SPAN><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">He was immediately installed as Asia’s top-ranked outdoor 400m runner, with a 44.64sec from Rieti in August this year.<o></o></SPAN><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">In his first heat at the Asian Games here, Simpson stormed the first 300 metres and eased off in the final stretch to win comfortably in 46.82sec.<o></o></SPAN><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">“I’m very happy to be here,” said Simpson, who this year won the Zagreb Grand Prix in 45.33sec as well as posting 2<SUP>nd</SUP> and 3<SUP>rd</SUP> places in Madrid and Stockholm.<o></o></SPAN><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">“The race felt excellent. I couldn’t ask for anymore. I wanted to qualify - I did and could shut it down at the top of the straight and conserve my energy.<o></o></SPAN><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">“I’m coming for gold, if God’s willing,” said Simpson, using the English version of a common turn of phrase in Arabic-speaking countries, “InshaAllah”.<o></o></SPAN><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">“Nothing, of course, could compare to my daughter, but a gold medal for Bahrain would be excellent,” said Simpson, who recently became a first-time father, to a daughter, Iman.<o></o></SPAN><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The runner continues to train in the United States but said he would do all he could to help out younger Bahraini athletes, even though that was not in his remit when he changed allegiance.<o></o></SPAN><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">“I’m still based in Florida but come to Bahrain when the weather there gets cold,” he joked.<o></o></SPAN><P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 13pt 0in"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">It had been expected Simpson might have competed for the United States after leaving the Jamaica team, but he instead opted for the more
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

RE: Ex-Jamaican Simpson, the most unlikely Bahraini, eyes Asian gold

I have a suggestion for a name change for him...El Tekka de Kash

Been watching this youth since he ran for Munro and he is as spoilt as they come...his mother and father, two loud mouthed people would terrorise the Western Champs meets and put the fear of God in the Munro staff.

When Leroy Allison decided to stand up to them and not allow them to dictate the team's policies as it related to Simpson they pulled him out and transfered him to Ardene.

One of the biggest jokes was in Champs one year when he made both finals of the 200m and 400m which are run hours apeart...he jogged the 200m much to the amazement of the fans and the Ardene coaching staff as he was 'saving himself' for the 400m but ended up either third or fourth.

It was heard later he jogged the first race on advise of his parents...
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

A wonder if him know say them will spank him royally to rhatid properly fi a come second after so much money drap.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Changes are needed in international athletics. If a runner desires to change nationality, there should atleast be a two-year waiting period to be eligible to compete for a new nation.

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

IAAF is working on that right now....
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

JAAA need to be active in petitioningIAAF to change the rules. I expect Jamaica to lose more athletes until the rule is changed.

Comment

Not neccessarily so, we have always had disgruntled athletes- from way back when even Merlene Ottey used to make noise about how she never gets any help from the JAAA and many have always sent thinly veiled threats about switching allegiance.

Prior to this only two did in the prime of their career- Sandra Farmer Patrick was here for Trials when her application for US citizenship came thru and left without telling anyone. Her story is a joke as she never won anything big while runningfor the US even while she was the top 400m hurdler in the world. She actually tripped and fell in a race at either the Olympics or World Games.

There was also the long jumper from Seton Hall-Nolly Graham (fine woman) who while born in the US and lived there all her life, decided to compete for us as a junior then after she got good she jumped to the US.

She recently applied to come back to us and was accepted.

I gues one can look at it as freedom of movement but I am sure these mercenary athletes will never be fully accepted by the country they decide to compete for as they will always be seen as 'outsiders'.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

let them go man; Jamaica is a breathing ground for the best athletes in the world, but we want happyathletes not disgruntled ones.

Comment

Working...
                X