Ungrateful Brandon Simpson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ungrateful Brandon Simpson

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Ungrateful Brandon Simpson</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Paul Reid
    Thursday, December 21, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>If last week's Internet report is true, then former Munro College runner Brandon Simpson has sunk to a new low, and has shown himself to be a mercenary of no mean order.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The former national quarter-miler, who won several international medals while running in the black, green and gold of Jamaica, asked for and received his release last year.
    Earlier this year, he turned up in the colours of the oil rich Gulf state Bahrain, and was second in the 400m at the recent Asian Games in Qatar. There is nothing wrong with that. Brandon was not be the first Jamaican to switch allegiance.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Many Africans - most of them chasing easy money - have switched to the Gulf state in the past few years, prompting the International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAAF) to enact laws to make it more difficult for athletes to switch allegiance.<P class=StoryText align=justify>But what stuck in the craw of many Jamaican track fans was the low blow Simpson levelled at the Jamaica Amateur Athletics Association (JAAA), in particular, and Jamaica in general.
    Simpson who was born in Florida of Jamaican parents and who would have spent most of his 25 years in Jamaica, was quoted as saying he was "never comfortable" here or ever felt appreciated, as the JAAA did not do enough for him.<P class=StoryText align=justify>By contrast, he said he feels very appreciated in a place where he does not live, speak the language or maybe know anyone - including most of his teammates who would be of starkly different ethnic and religious backgrounds.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Ahh, the power of the Yankee dollar, or, in this case, the oil dollar. No-one can deny Simpson or anyone the right to switch their allegiance to the highest bidder, but he has no right to disrespect the place of his parents' birth and the country that prepared him to be the world class athlete he has become.<P class=StoryText align=justify>As a Munro College and Ardenne High student, Simpson would have benefitted from the best high school track and field programme in the world, and his many years of competing at Boys' Champs would have prepared him for the cauldron that is world athletics.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Simpson's unfair criticism of Jamaica and our ability to provide for athletics that make millions on the European circuit is not just unwarranted but sounds malicious as well.
    But for those of us who have followed his career since he started showing promise while competing in Class Three at Western Champs, his outburst was not surprising.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Simpson left Munro for Ardenne while the St Elizabeth school was set to dominate the relays for a long time to come. While at Ardenne he qualified for the finals of the Class One 200m and 400m, scheduled to be run hours apart.
    To the shock of the packed stadium, Simpson jogged the 200m, 'saving himself' for the one-lap event, which he lost. Remember this is in an environment where every single point counts.<P class=StoryText align=justify>After leaving high school, he started college at George Mason University, and I recall him bragging once, while at the Penn Relays, that he would 'single-handedly' turn around the programme. He never stayed there long enough as he soon switched once again to finish college at Texas Christian University.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Do not be surprised if in a few years when he wears out his welcome at Bahrain, he does not come back crawling on hands and knees to the JAAA, or maybe he will switch allegiance to the country of his birth.<P class=StoryText align=justify>
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: Ungrateful Brandon Simpson

<DIV>Dag!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Sickko, I respect the unminced words. Too many times we try to be too nice to everyone when some a wi deserve some draping up. Brandon does seem mercenary, but that's his right. We are a free country where people have a right to sell their very souls if they so desire. Indeed, even more than that can be bought in New Kingston! Not so sure about the freedoms in his adopted land, but he would be well advised to keep away from di people dem dawtah!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>But duh mi one favour, please, sickko - in the future, nuh mention dat him used to go Munro, and for Courtney's sake, leave off di Ardenne reference tuh!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Thanks! </DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well written sah!

My ongle disagreement is referring to: <P class=StoryText align=justify>Munro College and Ardenne as having"the best high school track and field programme in the world". Not even close
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

<DIV>I think what is meant by that is almost any high school in Jamaica can boast of having a very good T&amp;F program compared to other high schools around the globe. That is a fact. In fact, I went to a high school meet in the USA some years ago and it was ridiculous. As a Class 4 athlete back in the day running for my house at school, we all had better technique than many of the schools I witnessed.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>And nuh mek di positions of Munro and Ardenne at Boys Champs fool yuh. It has no bearing on the quality training the athletes are getting, most of the time.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thanks...I appreciate the views but I had to put in the MC reference to make it 'western' if you know what I mean.

I got a few emails this morning, one strongly objecting to my views but I guess the person did not really know Brandon like I do.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

NO no no....what I wrote was that JAMAICA has the best track and field programme in the world
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko (12/21/2006)NO no no....what I wrote was that JAMAICA has the best track and field programme in the world
              I think that is what you meant, but that is not what came across. You put Munro's and Ardenne's programmes on a pedestal, not Jamaica's.
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

... and as a STETHS man I know you would have caught that. ha ha ha. I re-read it and I agree with you.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                X