• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breese's sudden decision suggests that something is wrong

Breese's sudden decision suggests that something is wrong
    published: Sunday | December 24, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody yJQdZ="true">

<SMALL K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">Tony Becca </SMALL><P K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">Jamaica go hunting for honours in the 2007 regional competitions, and after coming last in the 2005 KFC one-day tournament - the last one to be held - and last in the 2006 Carib Beer four-day series, Jamaicans are looking forward to a change in the country's fortunes this time around. <P K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">Although it is possible, it is now highly unlikely - and it has nothing to do with the fact that Jamaica will be without their West Indies players for the first two of five rounds in each competition. In fact, based on the country's performances recently when their West Indies players are home compared to when they are away, their absence this time around, and for more than half of the competition at that, may be a blessing in disguise. <P K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">The reason for the dip in Jamaica's chances of winning any one of the trophies is the absence of Gareth Breese. And it is not because he is ill, it is not, as is so often the case in the WestIndies, because one of his relatives is ill, it is not because of pressing business reasons, and although it was apparently just a matter of time - of a few days or so until the final 11 was named - it is not because he was dropped. <P K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">In a letter to the Jamaica Cricket Association last Thursday, Breese said he was unavailable for selection to the national team this season, he gave no reason or reasons why he was unavailable, he did not even use his father's illness as an excuse, and like myself, people in the cricket world are wondering why he did it - and especially so after coming home from his professional duties with Durham County Cricket Club ready to go, after participating in every practice or trial match every day except for a few when his father was hospitalised, and also after participating in the last one on Wednesday. <P K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">Was it that he got up and Thursday morning and out of the blue suddenly felt that he could not bother with representing his beloved Jamaica anymore?

<B K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">Refused to comment[/B] <P K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">No, that could not be it, and although he has refused to comment, I believe that it had something to do with the whispers doing the rounds that he would have been dropped. I believe so because I heard that some selectors were thinking of not even including him in the squad for practice or trial or whatever it is called. I also believe so because I have heard the whispers doing the rounds during the practice or trial sessions that he should not be selected in the final squad, and I just believe that it got to Breese and he decided to call it a day. <P K2XpR="0" Wicpm="0">No one has a God-given right to selection to any national team, and I do not believe that Breese, one of the nicest persons ever to have represented Jamaica, a perfect example of what a national representative should be, and a wonderful role model to every young Jamaican who wishes to represent Jamaica, ever considered that he had such a right.

To me, however, Breese deserved his place on the national team over the years. To me, as one of the country's most experienced players, and as a bowler with 172 wickets under his belt for Jamaica - including match figures of six for 47 off 31.2 overs and three for 46 off 28, three for 36 off 25 and seven for 60 off 26.5 versus Barbados in the Busta Cup and the Busta International Shield in 2001, including Jamaica's best haul of 20 wickets last season - he still, at least for the time being, deserves his place on the Jamaica team.

And there
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Breese's sudden decision suggests that something is wrong

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>I pulled out for personal reasons, says Breese</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Garfield Myers
    Sunday, December 24, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>Keen to set the record straight, all-rounder Gareth Breese says his decision to pull out of the Jamaica squad for the upcoming regional season had nothing to do with the recent mild heart attack suffered by his father Brian.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I won't be representing Jamaica this year for personal reasons which will remain personal," Breese told the Sunday Observer by telephone.
    "It had nothing whatsoever to do with my father who is recovering well after a minor heart attack," he added.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The 30-year-old offspinner and right-hand batsman was responding to media reports last week which suggested that his decision to withdraw from the Jamaica squad was connected to his father's ill-health.
    "Nothing of the sort," Breese, a former Jamaica captain and captain of the West Indies Under-19s told the Sunday Observer. He pointed out that his letter to the Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA) had simply said he was "unavailable".<P class=StoryText align=justify>Breese, who played a single Test for the West Indies against India in that country in 2002 and has been contracted to the English county side Durham since 2003, said his decision applied to the upcoming season only.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Breese, a key player in the all-rounder slot for both Jamaica and Durham, has scored 3941 first-class runs for an average of 26.27 and taken 267 wickets with his offbreaks at 29.47 each.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Yesterday, Breese - who was part of Jamaica's training squad - expressed confidence that the Wavel Hinds-led 14-man squad will bounce back from their dismal showing last season when they placed last in the four-day Carib Beer Cup.
    "This is a very good squad and they are very anxious to rectify what happened last year. Once they play good, consistent cricket I expect them to do exactly that," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Jamaica's campaign in the four-day Carib Cup and the one-day KFC Cup begins next month with away games against the Leeward Islands, January 4-7 and the Windward Islands, January 12-15.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

i don't know what those personal reasons are but tamar lambert should captain that side, not wavell hinds....if memory serves me right, lambert is unbeaten as a captain over the last 2 seasons and i believe over the same period hinds has a losing record.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Gamma (12/27/2006)i don't know what those personal reasons are but tamar lambert should captain that side, not wavell hinds....if memory serves me right, lambert is unbeaten as a captain over the last 2 seasons and i believe over the same period hinds has a losing record.
        Lambart: Couldn't agree with you more!

...and, wish Brian Breeze a speedy recovery. We worked at Rusea's together in the 60s. He is a good guy!

Comment

Working...
        X