X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering Elliston Wakeland ... the right way

Remembering Elliston Wakeland ... the right way

PAUL A REID, Observer West writer

Thursday, August 17, 2006STEPPING OUT. Elliston and Edith Wakeland on their way to a formal function in the 1960s

Whenever he passes the sign depicting the Wakeland sports centre in Falmouth, Trelawny, Kenneth Dewar, the 73-year-old legally adopted son of Elliston and Edith Wakeland, gets confused.

"I drive past the centre from time to time and I see the sign with the name spelt wrong and I have always wondered who was responsible for that," he says.

The sign, which seeks to honour the legacy that Elliston Wakeland bequeathed to the people of Trelawny, reads 'Elletson Wakeland Centre'.

Kenneth Dewar, the adopted son of Elliston and Edith Wakeland

However, according to Dewar and Custos Royland Barrett, Trelawny's unofficial historian, the spelling distorts the memory of the man whose legacy outlived his short political career as a member of parliament.

Born Elliston Harvey Wakeland on June 10, 1902, he died in 1967 while still serving as an MP.

According to Dewar, Wakeland believed in serving people, no matter where they were from or who they supported. He was always fond of saying 'love knows no bounds'.

The gregarious and energetic Dewar, who still works as a sign painter, tells the Observer West he called Wakeland and his wife "papa and mama" after he went to live with them and their four children in their Wakefield home.

He describes his time in the Wakeland household as "paradise", saying that the couple spoiled him to the point where he had a little difficulty when he eventually went to live on his own.

He says neither Mr nor Mrs Wakeland would allow anyone who came into contact with them to go away hungry, and recalls that when workers turned up on their farm in the mornings the first thing the couple would ask them was if they had eaten breakfast. Mrs Wakeland, Dewar says, would encourage the workers to cook lunch with provisions she and her husband provided.

While Elliston was a Jamaica Labour Party candidate for the area, his cousin Luther Stillman Wakeland represented the People's National Party. But, according to Dewar and Barrett, that meant nothing in those days, as political opponents showed each other respect.

Dewar now lives in Hague Heights where he is a caregiver to Luther Stillman Wakeland's 99-year-old widow, Eunice.

Barrett remembers Wakeland as a man who would walk the streets and was always lending money to people or just giving to the needy.

Custos Barrett recalls that Elliston had defeated his cousin Luther in one election and Cedric Titus in another. He points out that Elliston Wakeland lived a few chains from Cedric Titus in Clarks Town and both are buried in the Baptist church graveyard, side by side.

Elliston's son, Cedric, was also a politician, Custos Barrett recalls, and was a former mayor of the town.

The custos remembers that "successive governments in the 1960s had gone on a land reclamation project" in the town of Falmouth.

Elliston Wakeland, he says, had given the parcel of lands on which the community centre is currently located to the people of the town as a recreation area. He went further, the Custos says, by acquiring funds from the government that he used to build the clubhouse.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: Remembering Elliston Wakeland ... the right way

Thanks!

...and, I am happy to see that there was a reason for my believing the name of the park to be "Elleston Wakeland....".

If my life depended on it, I would have sworn that that misspelling of his name was also carried as such in the Gleaner in by-gone days.

Yes, sah...Elliston Wakeland it is!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I heard we sent extra copies to Falmouth on Thursday and even those sold out like hot bread and we had to rush extra copies there. But then again as some posters here would have us believe, newspaper articles and columns are a waste of time and space and no one reads them anyways.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

sickko (8/20/2006) But then again as some posters here would have us believe, newspaper articles and columns are a waste of time and space and no one reads them anyways.
        Not quite. There are good articles, and there are downright "useless" ones that is just pure garbage. I subscribe to alot of different journals concerning my profession, and sometimes I'm amazed by the very shallow content of articles I read.

And I have read quite a few such articles in the online vesrions of the Gleaner and Observer, including a couple of yours.
        President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Oh yes, and I will agree that the articles might not be what you want or even think is worthy of the paper it is written on and might not be even worth $1.50.

but guess what for every article that you think shouldk never have made it past the editor's desk, there are a few dozen people who love it.

Different strokes for different folks.

And I will tell you there are some brilliant ones that get left behind for some reason or the other, talk to any newspaper reporter and they will tell you that editors are idiots and would not know news if it hit them in the backside.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
          X