RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Cup Cricket - are tickets really being sold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup Cricket - are tickets really being sold?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>LOC reports ticket sales good</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>With just under 14 days to the start of the ICC Cricket World Cup, the Jamaica Local Organising Committee (LOC) has expressed enthusiasm at the level of ticket sales for the local leg of the tournament.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=130 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>BRYAN... I can confirm that the numbers are looking quite good </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Executive Director of the Jamaica LOC, Robert Bryan, said that while the first match of the tournament featuring the West Indies vs Pakistan was almost sold out, he was suprised at the level of support for the less high profile matches such as West Indian vs Zimbabwe on March 19, for which 44 per cent of Sabina Park has been sold, while more than 5,000 tickets have been sold for the Zimbabwe vs Ireland match on March 15.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I said surprised, because everywhere I go people heap skepticism on what they call lesser matches," he said at a press conference held recently at his Oxford
    Road office.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He indicated that interest in the warm-up matches was also picking up. "Our expectations were lower than what has materialised at this point. Everyone understands that the warm-up games would not be necessarily the most attractive matches, but the response in the final phase, especially to those matches which involve the Windies, has been encouraging," he noted.<P class=StoryText align=justify>While not providing details on the number of tickets sold to date, Bryan said: "I can confirm that the numbers are looking quite good. Of course, the sales in the group stage are higher at this point than warm-up matches. I can confirm that we will not have empty stadiums."

BLACK LIVES MATTER

RE: World Cup Cricket - are tickets really being sold?

We know the venues will not be able to accommodate everyone...

...so are alternate sites (e.g. sports bars, small arenas, clubs - sports clubs &amp; entertainment facilities -etc.)for viewing the game advertising?

...and, are businesses planning to cash in around those viewings - during &amp; after match?

...and, at the venues ---&gt;

...for those who prefer to use taxicabs, public transportation - clearly marked/easily assessable and safeareasalong with planned 'administrative order' (e.g. JFK, New York taxicab porters) &amp; security (to prevent cab-drivers mistreating passengers - e.g. surveillance cameras, registration/records of the cabs -dispatchers log, etc.)? Additional (addition to that built in the stadia) temporary police posts and medical facilitiesat venues with the attendant equipment to swiftly transportthose needed to be carted off to locations more suited to handle - (lockup or treat respectively)them?

...and, the host of our facilities needed for vast crowds and providers of services - running water, restrooms...food arcade...merchandising outlets...telecommunications facilities including access to public phones...etc., etc?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

<DIV>Right now, things are on the quiet. I suspect that things will be buzzing just days before the opening ceremony, but right now, you might not know that World Cup cricket is coming. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Kingston, however,is on a massive clean-up campaign. The infrastructure (sidewalk, roads) is still crummy, and the clearing of bush and shrubs has only exposed some of the old derelict buildings even more.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Still, I applaud the effort but I know that once cricket done...sigh</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

<DIV id=printReady>

No more waivers for World Cup, says KSAC
        published: Friday | March 2, 2007
        <DIV class=KonaBody vsvsd="true">

Mayor of Kingston Desmond McKenzie says the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Kingston</SPAN> and St. Andrew Corporation (KSAC) will not be issuing any further waivers for the erection of banners and billboards for the hosting of Cricket World Cup.

Mayor McKenzie said that since the arrangements commenced for Cricket <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">World </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Cup</SPAN>, the KSAC had waived fees amounting to more than $15 million for the erection of billboards, among other things, to entities across the Corporate Area.

He said: "$15 million is a lot of revenue to be given up in waivers. I am saying that the KSAC cannot, and will not, consider any further applications for waivers for the erection of banners and billboards for the remaining portion of World Cup Cricket."

The mayor was addressing those gathered Wednesday evening for a ceremony to officially rename <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Emerald</SPAN> Road in Kingston as George Headley Drive.

He said the KSAC has need for this revenue, adding that the council was currently rehabilitating roads, such as George Headley Drive, Kensington Drive and other roads surrounding Sabina Park.

"So give us some breathing space," he said. "Allow us to make back some revenue so that we can do some work after <A class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink3 &#111;nmouseover=adlinkMouseOver(event,this,3); style="POSITION: static; TEXT-DECORATION: underline! important" &#111;nclick=adlinkMouseClick(event,this,3); &#111;nmouseout=adlinkMouseOut(event,this,3); href="http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20070302/news/news5.html#" target=_new><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: oran
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
        X