J'ca's Bucknor loving the life of an umpire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J'ca's Bucknor loving the life of an umpire

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>J'ca's Bucknor loving the life of an umpire</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>BY PAUL A REID Observer writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, March 05, 2007
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>MONTEGO BAY, St James - International Cricket Council's World Cup 2007 is a dream come true for Elite Panel umpire Steve Bucknor who is one of 16 selected to officiate at the game's biggest show.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The 60-year-old Bucknor, a veteran of four previous World Cups, says it is an honour to stand in a World Cup, but added, "umpiring in a World Cup in the Caribbean is special, very, very special. I have always dreamed of the day when I would be able to do important games in the Caribbean and now it is happening".<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=330 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Jamaican top-class cricket umpire Steve Bucknor (left) shakes hands with former West Indies player and current coach of Kenya Roger Harper at a net session on Saturday at Jarrett Park. (Photo: Paul Reid) </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Bucknor who also stood in a record three finals at the ICC World Cup, has stood in the third highest number of ODIs, passing a landmark of 150 ODIs with the Champions Trophy match between India and Australia at Mohali on 29 October 2006.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He told the Observer on Saturday, while watching the Kenyan team go through a practice session at Jarrett Park, that he knew he would be around to stand in the World Cup in the Caribbean but can't say how much longer he would be officiating at the very top of the game.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The former FIFA referee, hinted he might be stepping down in about two years' time when he gets to 63 years-old, citing this age as the time when most umpires seems to start to "fall down" on the job.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Unlike FIFA referees, there are no age limits for cricket umpires, but Bucknor said: "I know that I would want to umpire to about age 63, it seems that this is the age where umpires seem to fall down and I don't want to be around after that... for the time being I am happy where things are and if I am needed to go on I will go on a little more."<P class=StoryText align=justify>Bucknor, who says he is in "reasonably good physical shape", said he will not be caught suddenly by retirement. "I have always looked down the road and retirement is one of things that will come and I have been planning for it. For those who don't prepare this thing will hit you suddenly."<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said he had planned on calling it a day after this World Cup but "for the time being, it has been hinted they may want me to go on, I don't know if I will want to go on, but this is what is been hinted". He would not say how long he would go on, but said he is not planning for another World Cup.
    "I can't think of five years, as it depends on how my body feels, how my faculties are working then."<P class=StoryText align=justify>If he has things his way, Bucknor will not ride off into the sunset, but will use his vast experience for the benefit of West Indian umpires.
    He says while the job does not exist yet, he would want to become the first Umpires manager in the region.
    "I would like to be the umpires manager for the West Indies," Bucknor said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The veteran of over 100 Test matches, the first man to reach that mark, said: "We only see them (umpires) when they reach 50 years-old. Umpires should be selected and nurtured from early on so by age 35 they should be ready for the first class game."<P class=StoryText align=just
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X