RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lazie, BenJ and others would have us believe that there has only been disaster as far as the Jamaica economy is concerned...but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazie, BenJ and others would have us believe that there has only been disaster as far as the Jamaica economy is concerned...but...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Oh for objectivity in discussing economic growth</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Dennis Morrison
    Sunday, September 03, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>In the past few weeks, two of the leading rating agencies, Moody's and Fitch, have made pronouncements on Jamaica's credit rating and economic performance. Fitch's assessment, which is the later of the two, assigned Jamaica a B+/stable rating, one notch above that of Moody's [B1/stable] and also above the last one done by Standard &amp; Poor's [B/stable]. Clearly, all three agencies view us as having a stable political environment and the commitment to honour debt obligations.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=70 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Dennis Morrison</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>According to the reports, they have also commented on the fact that there has been a determination to correct the budget deficit, even in the face of the huge burden involved. In particular, they have noted the agreement between the government and public sector workers under the Memorandum of Understanding [MOU] that has helped significantly to reduce that deficit. Further co-operation in this regard is therefore seen as a critical component in the effort to balance the budget.<P class=StoryText align=justify>As is well known, one of Jamaica's major economic hurdles remains the heavy debt burden, which is sensitive to changes in interest and exchange rates. There is also the stark reality that while the rate of growth of the debt has fallen in the past three to four years, the country's slow GDP growth rate has prevented a faster reduction in the debt ratio.<P class=StoryText align=justify>It is this factor more than any other that stands in the way of a higher credit rating and therefore the rating agencies themselves, as well as the World Bank and IMF, have been looking more closely at the matter.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In 2003, the World Bank in its report, Jamaica: The Road to Sustained Growth, had highlighted the apparent paradox of high rates of investment and slow growth in the Jamaican economy, and had also pointed to the underestimation of economic growth in the 1990s. It stressed, in particular, difficulties related to correctly estimating output levels in the services sector, and that the underestimation of economic growth in the island would have been further aggravated by the fact that this sector had expanded to account for over 70 per cent of output.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In its assessment, the Bank indicated that there may be an underestimate of 1 - 2 percentage points per annum in terms of GDP growth for the period. If we accept the Bank's estimate, this would mean that GDP growth rates in Jamaica have been in the region of 2 to 3.5 per cent per annum, rather than 1 to 1.5, which are the official figures. Though 2 to 3.5 per cent is not high, it is a different scenario from the picture of stagnation, which is now the conventional wisdom.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The more recent IMF country report [Jamaica: Selected Issues] dated May 2006, has looked at the issue in more detail, emphasising the constraints to growth and the special challenges faced by Caribbean countries. It identifies small size and extreme vulnerability to external events as factors that impair the growth process in these countries. The issue of the underestimation of economic growth in Jamaica was given substantial treatment, as was the matter of declining productivity levels.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The IMF report concurs with that of the World Bank in terms of the difficulty of measuring output in the service
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Lazie, BenJ and others would have us believe that there has only been disaster as far as the Jamaica economy is concerned...but...

Karl, if the IMF affi point out that we under reporting E.I.s that just prove that Omar nuh know what him doing nuh true? For the last 14 years Omar set 3% as him target, last year was the closest him come to it .... 1.5%, but because you and others settle fi mediocrity unuh see reason fi celebrate. Did you know that last year St. Vincent PM had to apologize to the people because they fell short of their intended targets? No wonder them fly pass we, leaving us to keep Haiti's company.

Did you hear that the IDB lock off funding to us? Guess not! Please listen to Real Business tomorrow at 10:30 am, hopefully you'll start seeing the light. Then again ....
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

RE: Lazie, BenJ and others would have us believe that there has only been disaster as far as the Jamaica economy is concerned...but...

Karl did you read either the report from any of the rating agency? The only country who owe as much as us is Lebanon as related to our GDP. One Agency said we are not suitable for investment. None of these rating is nothing to be happy about. Morrision a put his best spin on the rating.

Are you aware that IDB put a freeze on projects relating to Jamaica because of lack of accounting? Karl I our ratings keep getting worst. We need to ask our politicians some serious questions.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Assasin (9/3/2006)Karl did you read either the report from any of the rating agency? The only country who owe as much as us is Lebanon as related to our GDP. One Agency said we are not suitable for investment. None of these rating is nothing to be happy about. Morrision a put his best spin on the rating.

Are you aware that IDB put a freeze on projects relating to Jamaica because of lack of accounting? Karl I our ratings keep getting worst. We need to ask our politicians some serious questions.
        <SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl3_lblFullMessage>Lazie, BenJ, Assasin and others of that ilk: </SPAN>

<SPAN>The problemI find with you is -There is nothing in you guys rationalisation on 'happens in our economy' which points to managing the economy asdealing witha complex 'being'.

You fellows demand government actions andexpenditure without any regard to a) effects of the actions and or b) exactly how it is you expect funds to implement those i) new capital venturesyou are proposing and ii) the full servicing of the various sectorsthat need it, will be sourced...even as yousubmit that there should be no increase in taxes and there must be reductions in 'the government' expenditures.

That call for the immediate inject of multi-billions of dollars of to solve all the ills without suggesting 'the how of the funding' is either a deliberate attempt to mislead or a not thinking throughwhat it is you are proposing. Either of those two fall into the'not good' category.

...and, you compound it by suggesting thatelection of a JLP majority is the solution?

I have repeatedly suggested that the private sector turn outwards (...saying our minature local market cannot support the type of growth we all wish for the country)to dramatically increase earning from goods and services...and, that government and private agencies that assist in development of skills through training, produce 'the trained' in volumes in excess of what the country needs and 'export' that excess.

Iagree with you guys that there are ills the political directorate must do to curb crime and corruption and, to create a climate more conducive to stimulation of the economy.

You guys claim every ill the society faces is a result of the work of that beast called 'government'...'the PNP government'.Nothing, you all claim, has improved during the life of this PNP administration...

...Let me ask - How do you expect anyone to take you guys seriously - when all you see is 'bad' and that 'bad' is solely the fault of the PNP? Are you serious when the 'flip side'...the underlying 'truth' you are pushing is all the people, minus your 'the government', is doing everything correctly but that 'the government', your 'theterrible PNP' on its own,is causing total failure? </SPAN>
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

So Golding has joined Lazie, BenJ and Assasin? He is going to increase government spending - (which he has criticized the PNP of doing) and he is going tobe doing that whilehe reduces taxes,increases debt servicing and reduces the reliance on borrowing?

---------------

THE MONDAY INTERVIEW: Bruce Golding's new agenda
          published: Monday | September 4, 2006
          <DIV class=KonaBody>

Bruce Golding, Leader of the Opposition. - file

In our lead story, we carried a story in which Opposition Leader Bruce Golding set out his agenda for the first hundred days of a new Jamaica Labour Party administration.

In this feature, we present excerpts from Mr. Golding's extensive interview with Earl Moxam.

EM: Mr. Golding, at this stage in the election cycle, wouldn't you want the JLP to be better positioned against the governing People's National Party?

BG: No, I think that we are well positioned. We have been working to a programme that involves putting in place the organisation in the constituencies with special emphasis on those constituencies where the organisation was less than what we wanted it to be. We are very well positioned. We know which seats we expect to win and we are determined to bring those home.

EM: So, if you were to do a seat-by-seat breakdown, would you say that you are, at this time, poised to win the next election?

BG: Oh, yes! We are ahead! What we're working on now is to try and increase that seat count. But we have a clear margin at this time. There are still some marginal seats that we want to tighten up the organsiation in and interestingly, there are one or two seats that we wouldn't normally be targeting but, based on the work that we have been doing in those seats, and based on the work we have been doing in those constituencies, and based on the readings we've been getting, we are going to add them to the target list.

EM: That would seem to be counter-intuitive against the background of poll findings and suggestions, some of them not particularly flattering to you, as leader of the JLP. How would you respond to that?

BG: You believe polls? In the last election a poll came out two days before the election that said we were nine points behind. What the results show? Fifty-two: Forty-eight. We're focused; we have a job of work to do. We have set out targets and we are working towards those targets.

EM: But surely, it must be somewhat disheartening for your candidates and supporters if at a particular point in time, even if you believe as you do, that they would like to see their own perceptions being reflected in the national polls?

BG: You evidently, Earl, have not been listening to the people on the ground. I've heard a couple of responses on the radio; people have spoken to us. I don't think the people are impressed with it either. We are interested in just one poll - election-day poll, when the people actually go out and vote. The Eastern Westmoreland by-election was significant. Significant! Because if there was an election that ought to have reflected this hype and excitement, it wasn't there. It's the lowest turnout of any contested by-election except for one in South St. Catherine some years ago. The fact is that what is happening is that if you leave the Corporate Area and stay off the front-page of the newspapers and get out there into the country parts, you will find that there are persons who live in communities that have been cut off since Hurricane Ivan (September 2004) and it's almost as if

Comment

Golding continues -

EM: What concerns you most about the tenure of Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller, so far?

BG: The lack of direction. The fact that she has failed to define her prime ministership; because her prime ministership has to be about more than just dipping into the Housing Trust and dipping into the National Insurance Fund. People sort of knew where Mr. Patterson was headed. People clearly knew where Mr. Manley was headed, even though some of us were fearful of that direction. People knew where Mr. Seaga was going, even those who disagreed with his direction and his approach. Secondly, you continue to hear and to see signs that there is no cohesiveness in terms of the management of the country's affairs. You know, there was a rumour ... and I know the rumour (about Finance Minister Omar Davies resigning) has been denied, but it is an open secret that the comfort level that is required to make a government function (is absent).There are so many things that have to be done in government that involve collaboration among ministers and it has to be collaboration that is rooted in an acceptance and recognition of the fact that you are team players.

EM: Are you saying she is not up to the job?

BG: I can't make that judgement. She's only been there a few months. What I'm saying is that we are not seeing it and I believe that people are making judgements about it.

EM: Is she wrong-footing you? Is it that you find it so difficult to define what she is doing and the particular areas on which to attack her? Would you have found it easier to critique and criticise somebody else?

BG: No, I think it is early days yet. Everybody needs their apprenticeship period; some people need a longer apprenticeship than others. It doesn't mean that at the end of that apprenticeship, however extended it might be, that the apprentice would have learnt. I think people are waiting to see what difference she has made. Which comes back to the question of how has she defined her prime ministership that is peculiar to her?... And bear in mind that her government has not faced any major crisis yet. People wonder sometimes if we do face a crisis what would happen. If there was a crisis in terms of our economic programme that required tough decisions, are those decisions capable of being reconciled with the image that she has built up for herself? As Mr. Seaga reminded us, it takes cash to care!

EM: What are you going to do about Parliament - the physical facility - if you are elected?

BG: I don't believe the decision about Parliament can be a unilateral decision. I don't believe that either the PNP or the JLP, whichever is in government, ought really to make that decision. It really has to be a bi-partisan decision. I have indicated that I'm strongly opposed to relocating Parliament. That particular intersection of Duke Street and Beeston Street has been the seat of our Parliament since the 19th century. There was Headquarters House, which we have not done justice to because I think it should have become more than just a heritage site but should have become a place that we maintain as a living museum. We need to expand Parliament. What I propose is that we acquire the lands adjoining parliament - on the West and East and the North ... the lands bordered by Charles Street to the North; Mark Lane to the West, and John's Lane to the East, with Beeston Street, and develop a new Parliament complex straddling Duke Street. And I think it would be a good idea to have traffic passing through the parliamentary structure. I don't like the idea of isolating parliament and keeping it away from the people.

EM: Allied to that, what are you going to do to halt the slide in downtown Kingston in terms of the economy of the place; the social infrastructure etc.?

BG: Firstly, I think you need a comprehensive redesign of downtown. The business of doing a little thing here and a little thing over there can't work. You need to see the big picture: This is the downtown Kingston

Comment

What is Dennis Morrison Job ????

The former Iraqi Information Minister have nutting on Dennis Morrison.

This is not a one party state Karl..as much as you would like it to be. If the JLP was in power driving the country into debt without showing reasonable benefits of such debt you would be balling bloody murder. Remittance is holding the country together.. not the PNP Government management.

Suh stap yuh noise.

Comment

Hey Karl, when thinking people a talk, unthinking people must simply listen. Sssshhh ... just listen. If there is something to oppose point it out, but its clear yuh just shooting down what the man say because him shirt green.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Crooks spoke ask Morrison to come on the program Today's Money this morning to defend his article.. him claim him haffi get more data.

Him could search till kingdom come.. is like trying to find data to prove the earth is flat.

Dem clown would be chased out of town in any serious country.

Comment

Have you ever seen me say JLP is the answer?

the answer is good management. Karl it is obvious there is more waste in Ja than the Jamaican people can afford. I don't care who is in power, economics is bottomline for me.

What are the so great things that is happening with a 1% growth when the other caribbean islands mostly have better growth and productivty than ours?

I am not afraid to say good move when I see it or encourage debate but I will not see a apple and say it is orange, which is what I see some of our officals doing and not address the basic economics issues. With all these new major investments what is owned by Jamaicans?
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Assasin (9/4/2006)

...the answer is good management. Karl it is obvious there is more waste in Ja than the Jamaican people can afford. I don't care who is in power, economics is bottomline for me.

What are the so great things that is happening with a 1% growth when the other caribbean islands mostly have better growth and productivty than ours?

I am not afraid to say good move when I see it or encourage debate but I will not see a apple and say it is orange, which is what I see some of our officals doing and not address the basic economics issues. With all these new major investments what is owned by Jamaicans?
                      Good points!

Comment

Read today's gleaner editorial.

I don't care bout the political hype

Comment

So Ben let's look at this from a logical stanpoint:You are saying no one (as long as they are a part of the present ruling party) can practice sound management. This cannot be so unless you are saying the obvious that the other party is interferring. Why is it that no one in the PNP can do nothing right but if the JLP goes all the ills of the island will be corrected? Just say thank God it's JA you guys can go around touting these ridiculous arguments.

Comment

You clearly do not understand what motivates the PNP Administration.

It is not an issue of IDEAS or PROPOSALS, it is the unwilligness of them to EXECUTE if it conflicts with preservation of power.

Why won't the PNP implement Garrison break up ?

Because they don't know how ?

Who tell dem fi create 13 garrisons fi political power and trap demselves ????

Dem get demselves in a tangled web which only has one result if they are to implement correct measures.

There is a price to pay for 'absolute' power.. they need to got to detox and refresh.. for the good of the country.

Comment

Working...
                            X