Reniel/Ricky Sappleton signe to Leicester City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reniel/Ricky Sappleton signe to Leicester City

17 year old Ricky Sappleton signed to Leicester City, does anyone have any more details about this player

Foxes win race to sign Sappleton

Leicester boss Martin Allen has won the race to sign teenage former QPR striker Ricky Sappleton.

Sappleton, 17, recently had trials at Middlesbrough and Liverpool but chose to join the Foxes, despite interest from other Premiership club.

Allen told Leicester's website: "He has chosen to join us up here and we are delighted he has done so. "It also shows that we are not just looking short term, but to the future as well."
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

It is kind of funny how forumites are just mum on the fortunes of this youth (one of our own). Well, maybe it is understandable considering that he is a foreigner now.

I am surprised about his decision however. One would have felt that he would jump at the opportunity to sign with an EPL club like Blackburn and others who came calling. Anyway, he may develop better with his one year deal with Leicester. After a year in the Championship, he can then weigh his options. Who is to tell, maybe Leicester can win promotion to the EPL next season then he could sign a long term deal with them.

Wish him luck.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Oh, he's Jamaican?! I was afraid to ask. You know where I sit on those matters. I wish him all the best.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Jamaican starlet looking to clinch Anfield move

Liverpool could be ready to snap up highly rated 17 year old Jamaican striker Reneil 'Ricky' Sappleton. The reds have been tracking the powerful frontman since last season, and he is currently in a trial spell at Melwood. Sappleton appeared as a late substitute in the reserves 3-1 defeat at Manchester City earlier this week, but had little chance to make any impression. He hit 25 goals in 30 games for QPR's u18 side last season, and managed 11 in 12 this season.

It's reported that he is no longer with the Londoners, and he recently played against Liverpool's reserves whilst on trial at Middlesbrough. It seems strange that QPR would allow such a talented player to leave, but he only turned 17 last December so logic would suggest that he left before signing a pro contract with them, making him a free agent now.

The youngster has been staying in a City Centre hotel, and is understood to be confident of clinching a permanent move to Anfield. After doing some googling, we found these quotes from the lad on a Jamaican News site: "For the past couple of seasons I have played above my age group and Liverpool have been watching me play since last season and are in discussions with my representative. I am good in the air, good with both feet, I hold up the ball well and difficult to get off it. In addition to that I have some skill as well."

As you can see from the photo below, 'Ricky' bears more than a passing resemblance to Emile Heskey, but should he clinch his move to Anfield, we promise we will not hold that against him!

Comment

It would be nice if he states whether he is interested in playing for the Reggae Boyz.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you think that is very important at this time of the youth's career?

He just need to out and work to the best of his ability
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                Jamaican starlet looking to clinch Anfield move

Liverpool could be ready to snap up highly rated 17 year old Jamaican striker Reneil 'Ricky' Sappleton.

As you can see from the photo below, 'Ricky' bears more than a passing resemblance to Emile Heskey, but should he clinch his move to Anfield, we promise we will not hold that against him!
                Im luk lacka di Miami Heat point guard
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

You mean Dwayne Wayde?
                  • Dwyane Wade
                  • Guard

Comment

I hope this answers your question. . .

QPR's Ricky Sappeleton (and his Brother, Patrick) Profiled - Liverpool Interest Noted

-
                    QPR's youth player, Ricky Sappleton profiled. Article notes the Liverpool interest. (If messageboard rumours are correct, Sappleton was rcently released by QPR and has trained with Liverpool]

British-based brothers 'wannabe' Reggae Boyz
                    February 6, 2007 - Jamaica Gleaner - Nodley Wright, Freelance Writer

Disappointment, especially after making sacrifices, can sometimes put people off or make them bitter. It takes a special quality for one to get even closer, become more determined to prove him or herself and even steer others in that direction.

Like many young footballers, Patrick Sappleton dreamed of representing his country internationally. Not even migration to England in 1997 could kill the dream of young Sappleton of being a part of Jamaica's squad to the 1999 Under-17 World Youth Cup in New Zealand.

To make the cut, he pleaded with his parents to allow him to return to Jamaica in order to spend six months training with the squad. Things, however, did not work out for him - at least not at that time.

"It was really disappointing not to get selected especially as I believed that I was good enough to have at least made the squad. I had spent about six months down there trying hard. But it never happened," explained the now 24-year-old who plies his trade for Margate in the British Nationwide Conference.

That did not sour his experience towards Jamaica. In fact, it made him even more determined and when he noticed the emerging talents of his younger brother Reneil, there was only one place he thought of, Jamaica.
                    "I found Mr. (Patrick) 'Jackie' Walters to be a good manager and a good person at the time so I contacted him and told him about my brother.

Since then I have spoken to the president and am waiting on a response," said Patrick, who looks after the affairs of his younger brother Reneil.

Reneil, a powerfully-built forward, plays for the Queens Park Rangers (QPR) reserves and is keen on representing the land of his birth.

"Even though I have been in England since 1997, Jamaica is where my whole family is from. I was born there and Jamaica is where I want to play," said the youngster who according to his brother, has been attracting interest from Premiership powerhouse Liverpool.
                    Goalscoring machine.

Reneil appears to be a goalscoring machine having hit the back of the net 25 times in 30 games last season for the QPR Under-18s and getting an even better strike rate this season of 11 goals in 12 games.

"This is my first season for the QPR reserves. For the past couple of seasons I have played above my age group and Liverpool have been watching me play since last season and are in discussions with my representative," outlined the player who turned 17 on December 8, 2006.

Standing at 6'2" tall, Reneil believes he could be an asset to Jamaica's Under-20 team.

"I am good in the air, good with both feet, I hold up the ball well and difficult to get off it. In addition to that I have some skill as well," added the player who was due to spend a week at Liverpool last week.

Elder brother Patrick agrees that Reneil could make an impact for the Under-20s.

"He does not look like 17. He is of the build of Claude Davis and is really powerful. I believe he would be a handful for any defense, especially in his age group," said Patrick.

Wants to play for Jamaica
                    "Scouts for the England Under-16s had watched him a couple of times last year but then he was a little bit too old and besides, it is Jamaica that he really wants to play for," added Patrick.

But while Reneil is all the rage right now Patrick, who lives in London with his brother 10 minutes away from Arsenal and five from Tottenham Hotspurs, is still intent on wearing the national colours.

"I am still interested in representing Jamaica whenever the opportunity presents itself. I had a chat with the president about my chances and he said the manager is on holidays so he will get back to me," the powerfully-built central defender who stands at 5'11" noted.

Like younger brother Reneil, Patrick has been attracting interest from a higher level. But for an ankle injury he could have been under the guidance of former England captain, Paul Ince, who was named manager of the month of December for his work with Macclesfield.

"I was supposed to go to Macclesfield recently but I picked up an ankle injury. I was supposed to be there so they could have a look at me but the injury prevented that. At this time my agent, Winston Clarke, is waiting on a contact from Mr. Ince or some representative of the club."
                    In the meantime Patrick, who hails from May Pen, Clarendon and is a cousin of athlete Aldwyn, will keep ploughing away until better comes.

While the Conference may not seem glamorous to many, Patrick said the standard is quite good and that a decent living can be made.

"The Nationwide League is good and competitive. Portmore United wanted me to come and play for them but I said no it would make no sense for me to leave the Conference and play in a League which is no higher than what I am playing in. Additionally, it would not have made financial sense either.

"In the Conference you can live and you can live happily. I cannot say the same about the NPL. In fact what they would pay in the NPL works out to what I pay for petrol on a monthly basis here," he pointed out. Jamaica Gleaner

Comment

Re: decision to take this offer

Could be he feels he may get more playing time...and, just maybe the money is better here?

I do not know the young man and his handlers' thoughts. Just speculating!
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                        • Dwyane Wade
                        • Guard
                        Yup!

Comment

So he is interested in playing for the Boyz but we will get back to him when our manager gets back from vacation? Why do we even continue with this farce?

Comment

So he decided to accept a contract from Leicester and will now be playing for them in the Championship. Maybe it is a smart move for him not jumping head-first in the EPL as he could be in the long run suffering from the riding pine syndrome.

Anyway, can you imagine a player good enough to have EPL clubs interested in him, but he could not get a call by our national side? This is why we need foreigners in the TD position. Our local coaches tend to think locally, not globally. We have to remember that Jamaicans are not only defined by the people living on the rock, but all of us worldwide. It is quite possible than young Sappleton could be the difference between us making the Under-17 World Cup, but "him nuh live ah yawd". It is a damn shame. . .

Hopefully now that Bora is in charge he will see it fit to give him a call for the Olympics squad and possibly the seniors.

Comment

Working...
                            X