RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are sex workers ready for ICC World Cup '07?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are sex workers ready for ICC World Cup '07?

Noel Thompson, Hospitality Jamaica Writer

Commercial sex workers who work the busy thoroughfares of tourist capital, Montego Bay, will not forsake their regular customers in favour of the influx of men coming for the 2007 Cricket World Cup.

On a nightly basis, known sex workers converge at their usual hang-out spots in downtown Montego Bay, as well as along Gloucester Avenue, popularly called the Hip Strip, in search of customers.<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=150 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Recently, Hospitality Jamaica caught up with a few of them to find out how aware they were of the Cricket World Cup, scheduled to be played in Trelawny and Kingston in March, next Year. They admitted they did not have a clue, adding they were too busy trying to woo local and foreign customers to be mindful of an event, so far away.

I don't know anything about it. What is it all about anyway?" one, whom this publication will name SS, queried. Her associate is a stunning, sturdily built attractive woman who sports long dreadlocks. She has a lot going for her, as several men slowed their vehicles to wink at her.

"Whatever this Cricket World Cup is, we would like to make some money, obviously," they concurred. Whatever the men (who are coming) want we will provide it. We are aware that we will have to treat them good because if we do, they may come back even after the games are over, SS said.

looking out for customers

The dread appeared to be more in a reticent mood. She glanced over her friends' shoulder intermittently, smiled and agreed with almost everything she said. Simultaneously, she was busy looking out for customers.

"We didn't make enough money during Reggae Sumfest. There were not enough visitors. We had to go all out to make some money and had to fall back on our locals," SS remarked. That is why me not giving up my Jamaican man dem fi nuh World Cup players nor spectators, the dread interjected.

These women make between $4,000 and $5,000 per night. They consider this good earning if they can haul in similar amounts. Tourists are charged US$100 each, but they say they would expect to increase this amount during the Cricket World Cup.

The dread has not had a serious relationship for the past seven years and would have to give serious considerations if she were to enter one presently. While she works through the night, her children are often left on their own at home.

"Mi soon come off di street because I can't do this for the rest of my life. Is only salvation last forever. I have an aim and I expect it to be fulfilled within another two to three years time and I hope to be off the road by then," she said.

A few minutes later, a car drove up. The dread asked the news team to leave because our presence was slowing down her business. She holds a brief conversation with the driver. She strikes a deal. Cricket World Cup can wait, she jibed. She is off.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X