• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recalling some aspects of education history

published: Wednesday | September 13, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

The Editor, Sir:

As a historian, one of my main objectives is to remember facts. I want to remind Andrew Holness of the JLP, spokesman for <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">education</SPAN> of what his party did to Jamaica's education system in the 1980s.

My uncle who is now living in Tamworth, England attended <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Clarendon </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">College</SPAN> in the 1960s. As a result of the education he received in the 1960s he is now a Senior Immigration Officer with the Home Office in England. He gained his Masters degree from Oxford <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: orange 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">University</SPAN>.

My sister and I attended James Hill Primary School in Clarendon. I remember almost every Friday with other children being given milk powder and Bulga rice to take home. As troublesome kids we ate the milk powder before we reached home. What happened after eating the milk powder is left to your imagination. I remember being given exercise books that had the pictures of our National Heroes on the cover. As children we were very exicited to receive these books. My grandparents, Nerissa and Ronald Pinnock, did not have to worry about buying our <A class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink3 &#111;nmouseover=adlinkMouseOver(event,this,3); style="POSITION: relative; TEXT-DECORATION: underline! important" &#111;nclick=adlinkMouseClick(event,this,3); &#111;nmouseout=adlinkMouseOut(event,this,3); href="http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20060913/letters/letters1.html#" target=_top><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: orange! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">uniforms</SPAN></F
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Recalling some aspects of education history

Lazie?

A yuh a dat?

Bwoy dere his ope fi!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I posted it because I recalled a discussion with Balla about something similar. The letter simply prove that big degrees nuh mean that people can think.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie (9/13/2006)I posted it because I recalled a discussion with Balla about something similar. The letter simply prove that big degrees nuh mean that people can think.
        Just a recall of facts!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Leaders with balls have no problem making bold decisions and standing by it. Poppyshows blame CIA.

Comment

Why did the JLP have to implement this ?

What changed that would not allow 'free' education including UWI ?

I suspect some irresponsible behaviour and mismanagement led to this.

"It takes cash to care"

Comment

Now that yuh turn on the light, all the roaches scatter!

Comment

Maudib (9/13/2006)Why did the JLP have to implement this ?

What changed that would not allow 'free' education including UWI ?

I suspect some irresponsible behaviour and mismanagement led to this.

"It takes cash to care"
                Excuses?!

Comment

No Komrade ... more like reality!

Comment

Was education in High School ever free, except for those who got Common Entrance (full scholarship), because I know that in the early 60's those who supposedly passed half scholarship (as it was deemed) had to pay for tuition. ..And those who didn't pass anything had to cough up the entire school fee every term.
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

No service supplied is ever free!

'Someone' always pays!

Comment

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

<SPAN class=TopStory>Compare and contrast the info posted below, with emphasis on the bold</SPAN>

<SPAN class=TopStory></SPAN>

<SPAN class=TopStory>JAMAL is no more</SPAN>
                        <SPAN class=Subheadline>New foundation targets 750,000 J'cans without secondary education</SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>PATRICK FOSTER, Observer staff reporter
                        Tuesday, September 12, 2006
                        </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                        <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=365 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>The JAMAL building on South Camp Road in Kingston. (Photo: Napthali Junior)</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>JAMAL, the movement established with great fanfare by late Prime Minister Michael Manley in the 1970s to abolish adult illiteracy, has been dissolved and replaced by the Jamaican Foundation for Lifelong Learning (JFLL), marking the end of an era.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The 32-year-old Jamaican Movement for the Advancement of Literacy has given way to a more modern approach to learning in keeping with the times, and the kitchen bitch, popularly known as the tinnin' lamp, the JAMAL symbol of literacy, is now likely to be replaced by the computer keyboard.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The legal paper work to formalise the change over from JAMAL to the Jamaican Foundation for Lifelong Learning is close to completion, following Cabinet approval given sometime last year.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Dr Lascelles Lewis, who has retained the chairmanship of the new organisation, made it clear that the JAMAL Foundation's successor would not abandon the task of promoting literacy. But the move would "better serve the needs of the target group".<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=138 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>LEWIS. the JAMAL Foundation's successor will not abandon the task of promoting literacy </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>"We are not abandoning the JAMAL literacy programme, instead we are going on two tracks," confirmed Dr Lewis.
                        In addition to the literacy programme conducted by JAMAL, the new agency would also administer the High School Equivalency Programme (HISEP), Lewis told the Observer.
                        "HISEP is not for the illiterate but rather for people who have fallen through the cracks. They have gone to school, but for whatever reason they do not have a certificate to show," Lewis said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>JFLL's aim is to position itself as the market leader in the provision of non-formal, adult, basic and continuing education and as a facilitator for lifelong learning to an estimated 750,000 Jamaicans who lack secondary level education and certification.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Participants in the High School Equivalency Programme will receive accreditation through the HEART Trust/NCTVET.<P class=StoryText align=justify>There are also plans to upgrade the literacy programme, Lewis added, explaining that the level of graduates from the programme would be improved from level four to level six to keep abreast of international standards.
                        "Those who are able may then move to the HISEP and be certified," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>JAMAL was established in 1974 as part of Manley's dream of achieving a fully literate Jamaica, at a time when adult illiteracy was running at 53 per cent of the population aged 15 and over, based on a 1970 UNESCO study.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Manley hoped that through

Comment

Working...
                        X